The Art-Music Forum
July 29, 2021, 08:34:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Use of a keyboard when composing music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of a keyboard when composing music  (Read 546 times)
increpatio
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »

I used to write music on piano/electric keyboard.  I have been without one lately, and mostly been using trackers, where the input method is rather spreadsheet-like:

This was initially quite a restriction as there is little one can do at the onset of a note; it simply plays with a given volume; all the nuances are gotten to by altering the sounds over time (or picking different samples  Roll Eyes ).  It's also quite rigidly quantized which means that midi input, even when you do have it, doesn't really work.

I purchased one of these recently as a bridge until I can once again afford a more substantial note-inputting device:

The range restriction (okay it has octave up/down buttons) gave rise to the thought that it might be amenable to inputting polyphonic material.  I haven't really figured out a way of using it that I'm comfortable with yet, though.

Using a keyboard as an input device is significantly different in feel (and, I would speculate, though I can't quite get straight in my head why) function) to using a piano to compose non-piano music, though.

I find it interesting that Ravel wrote numerous works that are literally 'orchestrated piano music' but yet they don't sound like that to me at all,
And a number of works the other way around, unless I'm mistaken?  I find, from what I know of his music, that I agree with you on this point, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: