The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2021, 04:39:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Havergal Brian: Faust Opera Dutton release

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Havergal Brian: Faust Opera Dutton release  (Read 164 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2021, 02:47:52 pm »

Further bad news for my bank balance,but still amazing to people of a certain age group Shocked who only knew this work from a BBC broadcast (very well performed) of the Prologue! I remember receiving my off-air copy on a cassette sent via the post! There are some other new releases on the Dutton website. This image is the best I can come up with at the moment! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 03:04:17 pm »

Further bad news for my bank balance,but still amazing to people of a certain age group Shocked who only knew this work from a BBC broadcast (very well performed) of the Prologue! I remember receiving my off-air copy on a cassette sent via the post! There are some other new releases on the Dutton website. This image is the best I can come up with at the moment! Roll Eyes

Many thanks for this - it is great to see such astonishing enterprise from Dutton.

Smiley

The image is absolutely fine. Beans on toast for the next six months.

Tongue

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 05:22:36 pm »

Delicious with a bit of grated cheese on top,I seem to remember! You've got me thinking about baked beans,now! Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 05:36:11 pm »

Delicious with a bit of grated cheese on top,I seem to remember! You've got me thinking about baked beans,now! Roll Eyes

That counts as a

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 05:55:50 pm »

Details - https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=2CDLX7385

Smiley

What a corker!

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 05:59:12 pm »

If you scroll down the Toccata Pipeline,on their website,Brian's opera The Cenci is listed as a future release. Apparently,this is of a 1997 concert performance. This just leaves Turandot, prinzessin von China and Agamemnon.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:10 pm »

If you scroll down the Toccata Pipeline,on their website,Brian's opera The Cenci is listed as a future release. Apparently,this is of a 1997 concert performance. This just leaves Turandot, prinzessin von China and Agamemnon.

Great news, thanks! Here is further information about the opera - http://www.havergalbrian.org/works/the-cenci.php

For Agamemnon see

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,7204.msg36619.html#msg36619

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 09:32:39 am »

Many thanks for this - it is great to see such astonishing enterprise from Dutton.

Smiley

The image is absolutely fine. Beans on toast for the next six months.

Tongue

Does anyone have this new release yet?
Report Spam   Logged

Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 12:13:41 pm »

Been working my way through it...sorry to say, even as a Brian fan, I'm finding it pretty tough listening so far...whatever his other many virtues I don't think Brian was a natural dramatist...
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 11:47:20 pm »

I used to listen to my off-air cassette copy of the Prelude allot! A member of the HBS posted it to me! I did enjoy listening to it,at the time! That said,it's a little different to sitting through an entire opera. Is it possible it might grown on you,eventually? I love his opera,The Tigers. A much earlier work,of course. I,originally,had it on cassette. Posted in the same way,by a fellow enthusiast. The Tigers has one of the most eccentric librettos of any opera ever. I love it though;and,somehow,it all seems to work! For me,anyway! Librettos like that would ruin the career of most opera composers,however! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: