The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2021, 04:46:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones symphonies 12 & 13 on Lyrita

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones symphonies 12 & 13 on Lyrita  (Read 197 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 32

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2021, 10:01:53 am »

Out november, 5 via Prestoclassical https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9255496--daniel-jones-symphonies-nos-12-13-come-my-way-my-truth-my-life
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 10:52:20 am »

Oh my word, the completion of the cycle. A very appropriate cover -

CILGWYN!!!

Grin

These performances have now been removed from the British and Irish Music Archive and the catalogue has been updated. The following broadcasts, however, remain available: Symphony No.12 conducted by Grant Llwellyn (2012) and Symphony No.13 conducted by Richard Hickox (1992).

How wonderful of Lyrita to bring this landmark project through to fulfillment.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:28 pm »

Such good news, after all this waiting!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 12:22:07 am »

And now,after all those shots of very,serious looking,serious composer's! A very happy,serious composer,enjoying a seriously,tasty pint!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Thanks for this news,Albion! Smiley Living in Wales all my life,this cover image of Daniel Jones,pint glass in hand,somehow,seems just so Welsh! I'm also wondering if this is the best ever composer cover shot?! Undecided Grin More shots of composer's enjoying pints,please! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 32

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 10:56:38 am »

Probably a very tasty Welsh porter beer he's enjoying?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 02:01:43 pm »

Iechyd Da,indeed! Grin Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 12:33:26 am »

Bought! Ebay had one of those Black Friday vouchers,so what else could I do? (Resist!? Roll Eyes Grin) The critic on Musicweb suggests that Daniel Jones looks like he's toasting the completion of Lyrita's cycle! And well he might! If only,in spirit (albeit a pint of bitter here!). I say,Cheers to that! I hope Lyrita will consider a cd release of his oratorio St Peter,at some point! But this cycle will do very well for now!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Nov/Jones-Sym12-SRCD391.htm

I just can't get the hang of computer's,can I? Quoting,myself!! But,Iechyd da,anyway!! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 09:20:47 pm »

Another Musicweb review. This one is very enthusiastic. Indeed (and I quote) Nick Barnard observes,"Given the quantity and quality of these thirteen symphonies there is an argument to made for them being the most significant but least appreciated cycle by a British composer bar none."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Dec/Jones-Sym12-SRCD391.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 09:33:09 am »

Another Musicweb review. This one is very enthusiastic. Indeed (and I quote) Nick Barnard observes,"Given the quantity and quality of these thirteen symphonies there is an argument to made for them being the most significant but least appreciated cycle by a British composer bar none."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Dec/Jones-Sym12-SRCD391.htm

It's nice to see that due praise is given to Bryden Thomson for shouldering the bulk of the conducting and making such an outstanding job of it.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 11:39:39 pm »

Yes,it's great;particularly since Bryden Thomson admired his music and would have,obviously,loved to have to have been able to record the symphonies for commercial release. Now we get them on cd,anyway!  Better late than never,eh?!! Roll Eyes Grin And the more Bryden Thomson,the better! One of my favourite conductors.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: