The Art-Music Forum
December 08, 2021, 07:56:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Your favourite composers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favourite composers  (Read 173 times)
regriba
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:18:31 am »

I notice of course that the title of this thread is in the plural, but if it were in the singular, and seeing whose birthday it is today, my candidate would certainly be Vaughan Williams. I find his music has a range and depth that outshine that of many more famous names, and it puzzles me that it doesn't seem to be recognized properly outside Britain. Plus VW is able to be so characteristically himself, even in very different works. I remember once buying two VW cds at the same time, the Cotwold Romance and the music for Scott of the Antarctic, and wondering that even though the works were very dissimilar, both could be by no one but VW. Of course there is an element of personal taste included in my assessment, but I think his symphonies should be recognized as one of the great 20th century cycles, alongside Shostakovich etc.

Bax is also hign on my list, and "The Immortal Hour" is among my top ten ever favourite operas. The only composer on Albion's list whose music doesn't really "click" with me - for various reasons - is Britten.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: