The Art-Music Forum
October 28, 2021, 06:59:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Malcolm Arnold: A Centenary Celebration

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malcolm Arnold: A Centenary Celebration  (Read 73 times)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2021, 07:52:40 pm »

And in the same email that referred to the Gipps Clarinet Chamber Music release, there was this, which might appeal to at least one other member, I'm sure  Wink:

https://somm-recordings.com/recording/malcolm-arnold-a-centenary-celebration/?mc_cid=cb52d3dbac&mc_eid=02c4bdd3eb
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 08:49:13 pm »

Margaret Fingerhut! You don't hear too much of her,these days! Although she has a website. Just not cd's,I suppose? I used to brain my family,and fellow bedsitters,with her playing the piano in Bax's Winter Legends  (particularly,Winter Legends) and Symphonic Variations;with volume & bass control,full throttle! I'm more considerate,now,thankfully!
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 09:09:08 pm »

Margaret Fingerhut! You don't hear too much of her,these days! Although she has a website. Just not cd's,I suppose? I used to brain my family,and fellow bedsitters,with her playing the piano in Bax's Winter Legends  (particularly,Winter Legends) and Symphonic Variations;with volume & bass control,full throttle! I'm more considerate,now,thankfully!

I have a few of her CDs. Bax, not Winter Legends or Symphonic Variations but Concertante for Piano (Left Hand) and Orchestra with the BBC Phil and Tod Handley; also Edagr Bainton's Concerto Fantasia for Piano and Orchestra with the BBC Phil again, this time with Paul Daniel; my old composition teacher, Kenneth Leighton: Sonatina no 2 op 1b (1947); Five Studies op 22; Fantasia contrappuntistica op 24; Pieces for Angela op 47; Four Romantic Pieces op 95; and, best of all, Stanford's Piano Concerto no 2 in C minor with Tod again, this time with the Ulster Orchestra. Every one a winner! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 02:53:23 pm »

In case anyone hasn't seen this (I hadn't!) http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Sep/Arnold-centenary-SOMMCD0640.htm

https://www.margaretfingerhut.co.uk/

This must be good! It's nice to see a cd with Margaret Fingerhut playing,again! Although,she does have a website. I nearly wore out my Lp's of her playing Bax's Winter Legends and his Symphonic Variations.when I was a youngster. I'm afraid I won't be rushing to buy it though (hypocrite! Roll Eyes Embarrassed) because........(WARNING! SOB STORY IMMINENT!) I'm a little cash strapped,these days! Roll Eyes But,I will bear it in mind!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: