The Art-Music Forum
October 28, 2021, 06:23:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Maliszewski Symphonic Works

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maliszewski Symphonic Works  (Read 146 times)
rkhenderson
Level 3

Times thanked: 64

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2021, 08:16:07 pm »

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8919968--maliszewski-symphonic-works
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 09:51:29 pm »

Thank you very much for the heads-up! That looks well worth investgating. It's interesting that this appears to be download only (which suits me fine as space is at a premium around here). Maybe 'download only' (and streaming) is the future. People already look aghast at my shelves full of LPs (and 78s).
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 28

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 12:11:21 pm »

It's currently advertised as physically available on Amazon.ca.  Not sure about .com or .co.uk.
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 12:20:51 pm »

It's currently advertised as physically available on Amazon.ca.  Not sure about .com or .co.uk.

Ah-ha. Thanks, Brian.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 28

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 08:00:21 pm »

Sadly, I may have mispoken, Lionel.  It is in fact listed for a price of C$37.08 (not a bad price btw), but I see it's also listed as "temporarily out of stock", a euphesism for all sorts of dubious reasons for nan-availability on Amazon.ca.  I'll keep you informed.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 09:25:08 pm »

I think it is a good idea just to wait a bit. This is still a brandnew release, and often it just takes a while until the physical CDs are available worldwide. This even holds with well-known labels: for instance, I already noted in the past that new CDs from British labels may need one month or so until you can buy them in Germany. As for the Maliszewski set, on the Dux website it is listed as a release in CD format, so that I do believe that sooner or later, everybody will get a chance to buy a physical copy (I also plan to do so).
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:53:26 pm »

Sadly, I may have mispoken, Lionel.  It is in fact listed for a price of C$37.08 (not a bad price btw), but I see it's also listed as "temporarily out of stock", a euphesism for all sorts of dubious reasons for nan-availability on Amazon.ca.  I'll keep you informed.

I think it is a good idea just to wait a bit. This is still a brandnew release, and often it just takes a while until the physical CDs are available worldwide. This even holds with well-known labels: for instance, I already noted in the past that new CDs from British labels may need one month or so until you can buy them in Germany. As for the Maliszewski set, on the Dux website it is listed as a release in CD format, so that I do believe that sooner or later, everybody will get a chance to buy a physical copy (I also plan to do so).

Thank you, gentlemen both! I shall probaby just buy the download rather than awaiting the availability CDs. As I mentioned before, space is at a premium in this house! I did listen to all the samples on the Presto site and I have to say that on the basis of those, the propsect of listening to the whole lot is mouthwatering. Being altogether ignorant about Maliszewski, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect; would his music be in the mould of Mieczysław Karłowicz, a composer whose music I love, or slightly more modernist, that is, more near Szymanowski? I get the impression from the snippets that it's the former, which definitely floats my boat! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 10:59:54 pm »

You can hear the whole set, all 3 hours 17 minutes of it, if you have access to Spotify
Report Spam   Logged
rkhenderson
Level 3

Times thanked: 64

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 07:56:34 am »

I did find the whole set on YouTube.

although I do encourage you to purchase it (I bought it on iTunes) to encourage companies to
record these rare works.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:15:58 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 09:09:16 am »

although I do encourage you to purchase it (I bought it on iTunes) to encourage companies to
record these rare works.

Yes indeed, that's one of the reasons why I always buy the CDs.
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 09:33:33 am »

You can hear the whole set, all 3 hours 17 minutes of it, if you have access to Spotify

I did find the whole set on YouTube.

record these rare works.
record these rare works.

Yes indeed, that's one of the reasons why I always buy the CDs.

Thanks, all. Re Spotify: I don't do streaming (if such it is). I like to own stuff in one format or another. Smiley

I agree with the sentiments expressed about YouTube. I won't listen to stuff that's not been uploaded there by the rights holders for just the reasons you state. The fact that we have, in recent years, seen a marked increase in recordings of rare material should not be taken for granted. This trend can reverse again just as rapidly, especially when one considers all the possible impacts of Covid.   
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 32

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 09:35:09 am »

At jpc.de per september, 3 https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/sinfonische-werke-sinfonien-1-4-fairy-tale/hnum/10678661 and Amazon.de https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Przemyslaw-Neumann/dp/B0955HN5RF/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=maliszewski&qid=1627634035&sr=8-10 (rediculous pricing).
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 11:20:16 am »

Thank you kindly. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: