The Art-Music Forum
December 04, 2021, 11:53:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

George Lloyd (1913-1998)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Lloyd (1913-1998)  (Read 118 times)
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2021, 12:37:54 pm »

At last, some George Lloyd on Radio 3. Just the overture to John Socman (1951) but better than nowt, I suppose...

Roll Eyes

...the complete opera, as broadcast by the BBC in 1982, is in the BIMA.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 05:53:53 pm »

At last, some George Lloyd on Radio 3. Just the overture to John Socman (1951) but better than nowt, I suppose...

The ghastly William Glock casts a long shadow...
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 07:33:57 pm »

Holst: The Planets      Boston Symphony Orchestra /William Steinberg           Deutsche Grammophon Galleria

Steinberg & his orchestra take Mars at quite a lick! Shocked Grin This has got to be one of the most thrilling recordings of The Planets,imo! It's certainly a favourite of mine! Others I like include Sargent's (BBCSO) Boult's various recordings (Particularly 1945 & 1966) Holst's own (both!) and Bernard Herrmann's,eat your heart out Klemperer,slow (but all the more brooding & menacing,for it,imo!)! I'm not into Ligeti. And I don't think I ever will be Shocked Grin;although he sounded a nice man in interviews. But his Lux aeterna makes a strangely,enjoyable & appropriately cosmic sounding fill-up;and only,7 mins 57 secs long!(And not just because of a certain movie;which incidentally always has me jabbing the channel button! Which just shows my level of intellect! Roll Eyes Grin)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:56:24 am »

Holst: The Planets      Boston Symphony Orchestra /William Steinberg           Deutsche Grammophon Galleria

Steinberg & his orchestra take Mars at quite a lick! Shocked Grin This has got to be one of the most thrilling recordings of The Planets,imo! It's certainly a favourite of mine! Others I like include Sargent's (BBCSO) Boult's various recordings (Particularly 1945 & 1966) Holst's own (both!) and Bernard Herrmann's,eat your heart out Klemperer,slow (but all the more brooding & menacing,for it,imo!)! I'm not into Ligeti. And I don't think I ever will be Shocked Grin;although he sounded a nice man in interviews. But his Lux aeterna makes a strangely,enjoyable & appropriately cosmic sounding fill-up;and only,7 mins 57 secs long!(And not just because of a certain movie;which incidentally always has me jabbing the channel button! Which just shows my level of intellect! Roll Eyes Grin)

Deliberate?

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 11:09:11 am »

Too little of Lloyd is heard live or broadcast, although all the symphonies are available together with major choral works such as The Vigil of Venus, A Symphonic Mass and A Litany -

https://georgelloyd.com/about-the-music-temp/recording-history

and there are valuable alternatives for several of the symphonies on Lyrita -

https://www.wyastone.co.uk/all-labels/lyrita.html?composer_l_m=4234

Music that's well worth getting to know.

Smiley

George Lloyd...

...or Margaret Rutherford?

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 11:33:49 am »

George Lloyd or Margaret Rutherford?

Cheesy

Oh my word, that's a good (if somewhat irreverent) spot! Grin Somehow, I don't see George Lloyd starring as Madame Arcati or Jane Marple!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 01:13:12 pm »

There have been a few observations about the likeness between George Lloyd and Margaret Rutherford at another forum (not 'that' one!). And posts along the lines of Private Eye's long running,'look-a-likes',with the names swapped around! Grin Can anyone think of any other composer look-a-likes,by the way?!

I recently acquired the cd of his Symphonies 2 & 9. I had heard the Ninth,but the Second was new to me! I think I'll put it on again,in a minute?!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 01:30:58 pm »

at another forum (not 'that' one!).

BAH!!!

Angry

Can anyone think of any other composer look-a-likes,by the way?!

Well, Sir Frederic Cowen (1852-1935) was the spitting image (minus stage moustache and plus some well-turned wigs) of Lady Frederica Cowen (1852-1971), if that counts...

Cheesy

I recently acquired the cd of his Symphonies 2 & 9. I had heard the Ninth,but the Second was new to me! I think I'll put it on again,in a minute?!

All good stuff. Enjoy!

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 08:23:05 pm »

I've often heard that Symphonies 4-7 are the finest! The Second Symphony was new to me. It's still a substantial work,though & full of the wonderful,scintillating orchestration you expect from this composer. I'm going to have a listen again,now. I had things to do,unfortunately! I didn't realise the artwork on the front of the Conifer cd was Edvard Munch,until I read the booklet! The Scream would have been inappropriate!! (How I feel when I hear some of the music William Glock liked!)
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 09:59:35 pm »

I didn't realise the artwork on the front of the Conifer cd was Edvard Munch,until I read the booklet! The Scream would have been inappropriate!! (How I feel when I hear some of the music William Glock liked!)

I can't contemplate that dreadful man Glock without thinking that his head deserves something similar to what befell Oliver Cromwell's.  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: