The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2021, 05:07:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lovely dots and squiggles

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lovely dots and squiggles  (Read 67 times)
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2021, 07:13:27 pm »

Jamie and Lionel both well know my addition to collecting vocal and full scores. When I lived in Oxford in the 1990s I accumulated a whole run of the Stainer & Bell Carnegie Trust publications courtesy of a lovely chap at Blackwell's. Over the subsequent decades, like Topsy, it "grew and grew" to encompass as many obscure MSs, VSs and FSs as I could hoover up. Those were there days of the Harrogate Bookshop, Phil Haigh (Photomusica) in Knaresborough, The Wise Owl Book Shop in Bristol, Alba Music in Glasgow - days when I though nothing of doing a twelve-mile round trip if there was something of innordinate interest.

When I had to down-size in 2016, virtually the lot had to do go. Luckily, most went to a lovely dealer in Oxford - who hasn't managed to sell them, because no other bugger wants them! So today I reacquired Mackenzie's cantata The Witch's Daughter (1904) and Cowen's opera Harold (1895). Old friends indeed!

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 09:35:53 pm »

Luckily, most went to a lovely dealer in Oxford - who hasn't managed to sell them, because no other bugger wants them! So today I reacquired Mackenzie's cantata The Witch's Daughter (1904) and Cowen's opera Harold (1895). Old friends indeed!

Roll Eyes

More fool them! Still, their loss is your gain. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
paul corfield godfrey
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 10:31:16 am »

There might well be those of us who are interested, if you could let us know who this 'lovely dealer' actually is!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 01:33:33 pm »

There might well be those of us who are interested, if you could let us know who this 'lovely dealer' actually is!

My favourites, in no particular order are:

Colin Coleman - http://www.colincolemanmusic.co.uk/

Austin Sherlaw-Johnson - https://austinsj.co.uk/

The Sheet Music Warehouse - https://www.sheetmusicwarehouse.co.uk/

and are all lovely to deal with.

They know what I've got earmarked!

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: