The Art-Music Forum
July 29, 2021, 03:51:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Musical Parodies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Musical Parodies  (Read 52 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 77

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2021, 12:09:11 pm »

Just listening to Fauré's Souvenirs de Bayreuth for piano duet included in Radio 3's "Composer of the Week". It's basically a quadrille based on themes from Wagner's Ring Cycle. Hilarious, and long a favourite of mine. Any others?

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lionel Harrison
Level 6

Times thanked: 81

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 03:49:43 pm »

I think you'd have to go a long way to beat Malcolm Arnold's A Grand, Grand Festival Overture op 57 as written for one of the Hoffnung Festivals in the 1950s. It parodies just about every convention you can think of. And while I'm on the subject of Hoffnung Festivals, Donald Swann's send-up of the Andante of Haydn's Surprise Symphony is hilarious. Likewise, Franz Reizenstein's Concerto Popolare for Piano and Orchestra, which welds/stitches/nails together Grieg, Tchaikovsky's 1st and Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue into a sort of Frankenstein's Monster of a concerto, is hysterical. The only problem is that for a few weeks after hearing it, you can't listen to any of the original pieces without expecting to be tipped headlong into one of the others at any moment.

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 77

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:43:12 pm »

I think you'd have to go a long way to beat Malcolm Arnold's A Grand, Grand Festival Overture op 57 as written for one of the Hoffnung Festivals in the 1950s. It parodies just about every convention you can think of.

As you know, I'm an Arnoldite. Everything that came from his pen came for a purpose - to COMMUNICATE. What a great man he was!

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 10:28:16 pm »

As you know, I'm an Arnoldite.

Me too. I have Richard Hickox's recordings of symphonies 1-6 and Rumon Gamba's of nos 7-9 (and sundry others conducted by Charlie Groves and Arnold himself). And quite a bit of other stuff too!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 47

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:07 pm »

Malcolm Arnold's A Grand,Grand Festival Overture is an absolute riot! Which reminds me! I downloaded some files of the Hoffnung Festival's which I put on cdr-s,and I must get around to listening to them!! It also reminds me that I must get some vacumn cleaner bags! It's like one of those reality shows where people go back to Edwardian times,here! What with all the sweeping and wringing out sheets and trousers with me bare 'ands!! Sad Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 10:51:20 pm »

It's like one of those reality shows where people go back to Edwardian times,here! What with all the sweeping and wringing out sheets and trousers with me bare 'ands!! Sad Grin
What a charming olde-world image that conjures up!

You Rang, M'lord?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: