The Art-Music Forum
September 20, 2021, 02:38:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Your favourite ballet scores

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favourite ballet scores  (Read 256 times)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 11:08:58 am »

I will now go fertling around in the archive for the band arrangement of The Procession March.  Smiley

Mmmmm, sniffed out a bit of Sullivan somewhere...

Shocked
Yes! I think I have just about every note he ever wrote as long it's been recorded.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 77

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 11:23:25 am »

Yes! I think I have just about every note he ever wrote as long it's been recorded.

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 11:32:02 am »

Wink
I suspected as much!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 05:46:07 pm »

Note the change of title - there are just too many to whittle down to a single example!

Smiley

Since I altered the topic title, I'd better add Coppelia, Swan Lake, The Nutcracker and Cinderella. For the Delibes, it's Bonynge, the Tchaikovsky, still Lanchbery and the Prokofiev, Ashkenazy. I like what I know and I know what I like.

All superb.

Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 06:51:21 pm »

Not top of my list, but I have great affection for those by Malcolm Arnold - Homage to the Queen, Rinaldo and Armida, Electra and Sweeney Todd. The Chandos disc conducted by Rumon Gamba is great...

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 12:48:49 am »

My favorites might be Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and Prokofiev's Cinderella. But I also like contemporary ballets like Goldethal's Othello and think Sir Peter Maxwell Davies Carolyne Mathilda is quite fine based on the suites.  Thomas Ades' Inferno is a exciting.  Guillaume Connesson's Lucifer as well.  I always have a soft spot for the original chamber version of Copland's Appellation Spring.  The three magnificent early ballets of Stravinsky. 
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 06:36:22 am »

My favorites might be Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and Prokofiev's Cinderella. But I also like contemporary ballets like Goldethal's Othello and think Sir Peter Maxwell Davies Carolyne Mathilda is quite fine based on the suites.  Thomas Ades' Inferno is a exciting.  Guillaume Connesson's Lucifer as well.  I always have a soft spot for the original chamber version of Copland's Appellation Spring.  The three magnificent early ballets of Stravinsky. 

Certainly with you on The Firebird (1910), Petrushka (1911) and The Rite of Spring (1913) - I love these too. Never heard the Maxwell Davies!

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 09:47:48 pm »

Prokofiev's Cinderella.

Yep, Ashkenazy again for me! A la Previn, this man's multi-faceted gifts are overwhelming - I've got most if not all of the numerous Decca box compilations either with him as solo (or duettist) pianist or conductor.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 01:24:08 am »

Never heard the Maxwell Davies!

Smiley

This is the album I am referring to if you are able to track it down.  I so much wish I could hear John McCabe's Arthur's ballets in full (not just the symphony suite which I enjoy but the four hour entirety).

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Maxwell-Davies-Caroline-Mathilde/dp/B00PO9AF84
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 08:15:47 am »

This is the album I am referring to if you are able to track it down.  I so much wish I could hear John McCabe's Arthur's ballets in full (not just the symphony suite which I enjoy but the four hour entirety).

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Maxwell-Davies-Caroline-Mathilde/dp/B00PO9AF84

Thanks for that! Being a Massenet fan, I also rather like L'histoire de Manon, as arranged and orchestrated by Leighton Lucas and choreographed by Kenneth MacMillan (1974).

The verdict of The Guardian after opening night: "Basically, Manon is a slut and Des Grieux is a fool and they move in the most unsavoury company." Yep, right up my street then.

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: