The Art-Music Forum
October 24, 2021, 05:24:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Theses, articles and books available online

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theses, articles and books available online  (Read 537 times)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2021, 06:36:04 pm »

Ernst Pepping symphonies 1-3, also a couple of pieces from the Pogonyi Archive, the Serenade was very good. I haven't tried out his choral and sacred works yet, but feel like it  will be interesting. He studied with Schreker, and apparently wrote quite dissonantly until the 1930's. I will visit him again.

Thanks for that. I have to admit I hadn't heard of Pepping but he does sound an interesting chap. I see there's a CPO two-CD recording of the three symphonies and the piano concerto and so I will sample the snippets on Presto to see if they appeal. 

I duly iistened to the snippets and I have to say that I found Ernst Pepping's symphonies and Piano Concerto rather anodyne (I might be doing them a disservice, of course, as I only heard about 30 seconds of each movement, but it seemed to be sufficient to give one a flavour of the sound-world). According to his Wikipedia entry, he'd been the composer of  'severe works with uncompromising dissonance' until the beginning of the 1930s, at which point he started to produce music in a much more tonal idiom. I wondered whether this was a natural development (he wouldn't be the only enfant terrible who'd modified their language as they matured); or did he do what he had to do under the Third Reich to stay alive (as did many other rank-and-file musicians)? Or was he a fully paid-up Nazi?

Seeking to find answers to these questions, I happened upon this Exeter University Ph.D. thesis by Ian D. Sutherland which includes as case-studies discussions of Paul Hindemith, Rudolf Wagner-Régeny, Heinrich Kaminski, Pepping and Wolfgang Fortner: "From Weimar Republic to Third Reich: Composing agency in changing socio-cultural contexts". On the face of it, a very interesting read...

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/12826898.pdf

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: