The Art-Music Forum
October 23, 2021, 06:05:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875-1912)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875-1912)  (Read 1618 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2021, 12:13:47 pm »

Seeing as it's his birthday 'n' all, if you could programme a couple of discs, one orchestral, one choral what would you pick? My selection would be

Solemn Prelude, Toussaint L'Ouverture, Nero (Suite), Scenes from an Everyday Romance and Ethiopia Saluting the Colours [no doubt re-orchestration of several items needed]

Five Choral Ballads, Meg Blane and A Tale of Old Japan - a 2-for-1 [ditto]

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
britishcomposer
Level 4

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2021, 01:01:18 pm »

Dear members, to celebrate Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's birthday I have uploaded a recording of a BBC broadcast of last October.
It is a performance of the African Suite by the Chineke! Orchestra.
I have no reference books about SCT so I cannot tell you, if SCT orchestrated the work himself. (Googling wasn't successful. Or I wasn't successful...)
IMSLP has the score of the piano version only.
Enjoy!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2021, 01:07:41 pm »

Dear members, to celebrate Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's birthday I have uploaded a recording of a BBC broadcast of last October.
I have no reference books about SCT so I cannot tell you, if SCT orchestrated the work himself. (Googling wasn't successful. Or I wasn't successful...)
Enjoy!  Smiley

Bless you! It's heading for BIMA...

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2021, 01:22:37 pm »

Enjoy!  Smiley

Thank you very much! That's a smashing present to me, even if it's SC-T's birthday, rather than mine. The fourth movement, Danse nègre was certainly orchestrated by Coleridge-Taylor but of all the sources I have available (which are several) I can't at first glance see any reference to his orchestrating the other three movements. I will keep digging when personal circumstances allow (which they don't at the moment, sadly).
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2021, 01:23:43 pm »

Seeing as it's his birthday 'n' all, if you could programme a couple of discs, one orchestral, one choral what would you pick? My selection would be

Solemn Prelude, Toussaint L'Ouverture, Nero (Suite), Scenes from an Everyday Romance and Ethiopia Saluting the Colours [no doubt re-orchestration of several items needed]

Five Choral Ballads, Meg Blane and A Tale of Old Japan - a 2-for-1 [ditto]

Smiley

And so much else...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2021, 01:29:16 pm »

Enjoy!  Smiley

Bless you! It's heading for BIMA...

Grin

Oh, seems to have fallen in...

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2021, 03:20:50 pm »

Enjoy!  Smiley

Thank you very much! That's a smashing present to me, even if it's SC-T's birthday, rather than mine. The fourth movement, Danse nègre was certainly orchestrated by Coleridge-Taylor but of all the sources I have available (which are several) I can't at first glance see any reference to his orchestrating the other three movements. I will keep digging when personal circumstances allow (which they don't at the moment, sadly).

I have emailed Chineke! to ask whose orchestrations of the first three movements (if not SC-T's) were used by Maestro Edusi in this performance. I shall revert when I get a response.
Report Spam   Logged
Chriskh
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2021, 07:59:09 am »

I don't know how authoritative W.C. Berwick Sayers' "SC-T His Life and Letters" (Cassell 1915) is, but in the work list it refers to an orchestration of no.4 only
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2021, 10:33:42 am »

I don't know how authoritative W.C. Berwick Sayers' "SC-T His Life and Letters" (Cassell 1915) is, but in the work list it refers to an orchestration of no.4 only

With Lionel on the case, I'm sure we'll find out the answer.

The BBC used to commission orchestrations back in the day...e.g. the three Sullivan Daydreams (Herman Finck) due to be recorded by Dutton. Would that they were so pro-active today: there's plenty of material that now only exists in piano or vocal score. If John Pickard can orchestrate convincingly in the extravagant style of early Havergal Brian (The Vision of Cleopatra), anything is possible.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2021, 04:58:34 pm »

Smiley

I have my equivalent of The Baker Street Irregulars on the trail.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2021, 06:04:44 pm »

Smiley

Yep, they'll get to the bottom of the case...

...or perhaps not.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2021, 06:27:31 pm »

Smiley

Yep, they'll get to the bottom of the case...

...or perhaps not.

Roll Eyes

This chap is my secret weapon:

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2021, 06:34:39 pm »

This chap is my secret weapon:

Ah! With Officer Crabtree a-pokin' about, no turn will be left un-stoned...

Wink

The British Air Farce have dropped their bums on the water works...They have scored a direct hot on the pimps.

Shocked

Yep, the investigation into the origin of the African Suite orchestration is pretty much done and dusted.

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2021, 07:57:32 am »

I mentioned above that I had emailed Chineke! to seek clarification on who, if not the composer, had orchestrated the first three movements of the African Suite in their recording. I have had a charming reply from Chi-chi Nwanoku herself, telling me that the other movements were orchestrated by Chris Cameron (composer, arranger and producer) especially for the Chineke! Orchestra. Mr Cameron is, like SC-T, an alumnus of the Royal College of Music.

See: Officer Crabtree came up trimps.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2021, 08:28:07 am »

I mentioned above that I had emailed Chineke! to seek clarification on who, if not the composer, had orchestrated the first three movements of the African Suite in their recording. I have had a charming reply from Chi-chi Nwanoku herself, telling me that the other movements were orchestrated by Chris Cameron (composer, arranger and producer) especially for the Chineke! Orchestra. Mr Cameron is, like SC-T, an alumnus of the Royal College of Music.

See: Officer Crabtree came up trimps.

Indeed! I think the orchestrations are pretty idiomatic...if I didn't now know that they weren't by Coleridge-Taylor, I'd assume they were by the composer himself.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: