The Art-Music Forum
October 23, 2021, 09:12:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875-1912)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875-1912)  (Read 1618 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2021, 04:30:43 pm »

I presume this also happened to Sullivan's 1897 Alhambra ballet Victoria and Merrie England, luckily published in piano score and since re-orchestrated.

I think I recall reading that the MS of Victoria and Merrie England was destroyed in that fire at Chapell's but I could be wrong.

It was published by Metzler, so it must have vanished long before the towering inferno that was the Chappell tragedy.

Shocked

The whole score was published for solo piano and three suites were also drawn from the ballet: the first survives in its original orchestral form and has been recorded a couple of times, but all three were published as piano duets (dedication copies from Sullivan to Mrs Ronalds are in the Pierpont Morgan Library, New York).

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: