The Art-Music Forum
November 27, 2021, 06:00:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Action taken by Administrators against "Sydney Grew"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action taken by Administrators against "Sydney Grew"  (Read 134 times)
Admin
Administrator
Level 3

Times thanked: 51

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2018, 06:50:40 pm »

After serious deliberation and with the utmost reluctance, the Administration has decided to revoke the membership of "Sydney Grew." Colin is away from home this week with limited access to the forum so he asked me to take action in both our names and to post this explanation. We both appreciate the support that many forum members have expressed and note that we have been also been urged by some members to take this action.

What began as a simple request on our part to remove links to commercially available material quickly escalated to a series of unfounded threats and irrational posts by forum member "Sydney Grew." After demanding that control of the forum be returned to him we politely provided documentation showing he unceremoniously relinquished control of the forum to us earlier this year. He refused to address the proof we provided and instead responded with further threats and otherwise disruptive behavior.

His name is in quotation marks because many of us are not even sure that this is really Sydney who is posting. It looks as though whoever it is also tried posting under an alias, "guest54," with the same threats and rants.

It would be a relief if this action puts an end to this turmoil, but it remains to be seen whether "Sydney" will leave us alone. In any event, let us now return to the purpose of this forum, sharing information, news, and our thoughts on the music we all love, in a civil and respectful manner.

Maris
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Admin
Administrator
Level 3

Times thanked: 51

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 05:03:04 pm »

From Dundonnell:

Hello again to all members!

As Maris (Latvian) wrote a week ago I have been away from home. To be precise, 500 miles away from home. I was in London carrying out research into one of my other interests at The National Army Museum in Chelsea and enjoying the hospitality of friends. As I explained to Maris I simply could not afford the time to continually log onto the forum and it would have been rude and ungracious to my hosts for me to do so.

However I did make the time to keep in touch with Maris by email. His posts and his actions were taken with my full and unequivocal support. Throughout the period of the last three weeks we have acted together in complete harmony and accord.

I did not seek the role of administrator. But when Sydney informed me in March by private message that he was giving up that role for personal reasons I indicated that I was prepared to take it on in partnership. I received no reply to the personal message I sent to Sydney. There was never any indication that he wished or intended his renunciation of the administration to be temporary. Nor was there any indication at that time or subsequently that he wished or intended to retain any sort of "overall supervision" of the forum.
Indeed, had either of these assumptions on his part been articulated either publicly or privately I would have politely withdrawn my offer to succeed him.

This has been an extremely unpleasant experience, both stressful and distressing. Accusations of hacking, of stealing passwords etc, couched in abusive language are hurtful. It would have been virtually intolerable but for the support of Maris AND of those members who were kind enough to express their support either publicly or by private message. I shall reply privately to those members who wrote to me but have not yet had the courtesy of a response. The week's absence from the forum has not been unwelcome.......although I am obviously glad now to be back!!

This forum is the "property" of its members. The members maintain both its focus and its tone. The focus is and should be on the music we love. That will continue!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: