The Art-Music and Linguistics Forum
August 10, 2022, 07:20:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The future of this forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The future of this forum  (Read 804 times)
Admin
Administrator
Level 3

Times thanked: 51

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2022, 01:48:56 am »

Well, how did Greek become moderator?

I am not only a moderator, but also the administrator, and I  founded this forum in 2009. Some years later I gave permission for all the off-shoots from the Unsung Composers to join us because the Unsung Composers decided to concentrate on music from the nineteenth century.

This is a forum for the SERIOUS discussion of Art-Music and Linguistics, in an atmosphere of freedom and delight. NOTHING ELSE. Any one wondering about that should study our RULES.

Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 111

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2022, 02:43:05 am »

I am not only a moderator, but also the administrator, and I  founded this forum in 2009. Some years later I gave permission for all the off-shoots from the Unsung Composers to join us because the Unsung Composers decided to concentrate on music from the nineteenth century.

This is a forum for the SERIOUS discussion of Art-Music and Linguistics, in an atmosphere of freedom and delight. NOTHING ELSE. Any one wondering about that should study our RULES.

Totally agree you have every right to do this and if I can make my small personal contribution I will be grateful to you
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 90

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2022, 08:49:05 am »

Well, to be honest, there doesn't seem to be very much of either at the moment...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Admin
Administrator
Level 3

Times thanked: 51

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 12:50:04 am »

The lower classes of England will always do their best to introduce an atmosphere of vulgar merry-making into everything. This though is definitely NOT the place for that. I have just now been looking at the Unsung Composers forum and they have an atmosphere of quiet and tidy discussion of Art-Music. In future we will attempt to emulate them.

Having said that, there are a few points of the Unsung Composers forum that we would not want to copy. The first post I saw there was from a member who suggested rewriting the last movement of van Beethoven's ninth so as to eliminate the singing. I myself think that that would be an admirable undertaking, but one of the administrators there quickly sat on the idea - something I would never do. Also of course their restriction to nineteenth-century music is not applicable here.

But in general the Unsung Composers forum does provide an excellent model for us.
Report Spam   Logged
christopher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 02:54:07 pm »

The lower classes of England will always do their best to introduce an atmosphere of vulgar merry-making into everything. This though is definitely NOT the place for that. I have just now been looking at the Unsung Composers forum and they have an atmosphere of quiet and tidy discussion of Art-Music. In future we will attempt to emulate them.

Having said that, there are a few points of the Unsung Composers forum that we would not want to copy. The first post I saw there was from a member who suggested rewriting the last movement of van Beethoven's ninth so as to eliminate the singing. I myself think that that would be an admirable undertaking, but one of the administrators there quickly sat on the idea - something I would never do. Also of course their restriction to nineteenth-century music is not applicable here.

But in general the Unsung Composers forum does provide an excellent model for us.

Is membership of this forum now restricted to the Hyacinth Bucket's of the lower-middle classes who prefer to listen to music in their parlour while studying the best way to stick their little pinkies out while drinking tea out of their wedding Royal Doultons (with a nice doyly for the tea cups)?

With regard to removing the singing bits from Beethoven's Choral Symphony (I just don't know what Ludders was thinking), perhaps we could set up a section for other admirable undertakings? I for one would like to see, as a matter of urgency, the annoying dancey bits removed from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake to make it a much-improved piece of music.  Also, there's any number of violin concertos which would be masterpieces if only someone would think to take out those <checks notes> violins.  I would be grateful for all further suggestions, in the spirit of quiet and tidy discussion.
Report Spam   Logged
christopher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2022, 02:59:01 pm »

Certainly, with regard to Linguistics, I don't see any discussion at all.  Just posts about links.

Subject   Started by   Replies Views   Last post

Russian   greek   1   16   Last post Today at 06:13:33 am by greek
      Swedish   greek   0   16   Last post June 30, 2022, 06:16:15 am by greek
      Spanish   greek   0   8   Last post June 30, 2022, 06:05:24 am by greek
      Italian   greek   0   9   Last post June 30, 2022, 05:15:10 am by greek
      Greek   greek   0   4   Last post June 30, 2022, 04:54:46 am by greek
      Japanese   greek   0   9   Last post June 30, 2022, 01:35:12 am by greek
      Dutch   greek   0   9   Last post June 30, 2022, 01:18:47 am by greek
      Danish   greek   0   27   Last post June 30, 2022, 01:00:52 am by greek
      Czech   greek   0   17   Last post June 29, 2022, 11:36:36 am by greek
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 07:35:53 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
greek
Level 4

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2022, 12:39:01 am »

Let us face the facts: we are now a very small forum, with less than a dozen contributing members. The two hundred or so non-participants can be ignored can they not; they are lapsed, they are sleeping, they are meaningless for our endeavours.

If we want a more active  or larger forum we can I suppose concentrate upon the provision of opportunities - by which I mean subjects to write about.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 07:35:21 am by Admin » Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 87

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2022, 09:23:59 am »

Let us face the facts: we are now a very small forum, with less than a dozen contributing members. The two hundred or so non-participants can be ignored can they not; they are lapsed, they are sleeping, they are meaningless for our endeavours.

If we want a more active  or larger forum we can I suppose concentrate upon the provision of opportunities - by which I mean subjects to write about.

My fear is that your drive will not make for a 'more active or larger forum' but that it will destroy it altogether. Size isn't everything.

By the way, I'm not sure that one should categorise people who do not post as 'non-participants'. I know, for example, of members whose first language is not English and who lack the confidence to submit posts but who loved what the forum, as it was, gave them. I think to describe anybody as 'meaningless' or to say they 'can be ignored' is deeply disrespectful and hurtful of others' feelings.

Yours, with great sadness,

Lionel Harrison B. Mus. (Edin.)
Report Spam   Logged
greek
Level 4

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2022, 10:06:11 am »

I'm just one member, and I haven't changed anything (except to remove the posts about lavatories). The forum is exactly as it has always been since 2009. I encourage every one to ignore me and continue to discuss their musical interests. Nothing is stopping you. Make a start now.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: