The Art-Music and Linguistics Forum
July 01, 2022, 11:49:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is Ernest Bloch a Swiss composer or American composer?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ernest Bloch a Swiss composer or American composer?  (Read 485 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:35:26 pm »

We have discussed this issue quite often on here. It frequently causes some disagreement.

My own rough rule of thumb is to consider the individual composer, to take into account how much of his life was spent in his country of birth and how much in his adopted country, but also take into account his own perception of his nationality. Stravinsky, I am sure, continued to consider himself as a Russian long after he had left his country of birth.
Although-to pick an example-Malcolm Williamson settled in the UK from 1950 when he was 19 years old he certainly continued to count himself an Australian. But Arthur Benjamin is a slightly more difficult case. He arrived in the UK in 1911 aged 18, returned briefly to Australia between 1919 and 1921, and lived and worked in Canada during World War One.

I think of Bloch as Swiss but he appears in a book on American Romantic Composers.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: