The Art-Music Forum
December 04, 2021, 10:14:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006)  (Read 2028 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 50

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 03:01:48 am »

In September 2012 in my city, Torino (not a metropolis) Pierre Boulez conducted "Pli, selon, pli" (complete)  with soprano Barbara Hannigan, l'Ensemble Intercomporain and musicians from the Luzern Academy. The hall (1800 seats) was almost full; the ticket was not expensive (or part of a subscription). At the end kind applauses from almost eveybody.

I don't doubt it. But the people who would come for the Boulez would be put off by the Arnold, and vice versa.

I would go if it was some other Boulez work (I don't like Pli selon pli much) and some other Arnold symphony (the 9th isn't a particular favourite either). Some pieces that would work quite well together imo might include Feldman's Coptic Light with Vaughan Williams's 3rd, Lachenmann's Tanzsuite mit Deutschlandlied with Shostakovich's 15th and Cage Seventy-Four + Xenakis Anastenaria + Simpson 9th.
I'm sure Lady Gaga would also merit a spot in this venue too..
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2021, 08:08:46 am »

Will this year bring anything of major significance for Arnold's 100th in terms of celebration and recognition?

A recent Musicweb review of Lyrita's Robert Simpson disc described that release as "Unmissable: the first concrete souvenir of 2021ís most important centenary." I beg to differ...

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2021, 09:19:59 am »

Will this year bring anything of major significance for Arnold's 100th in terms of celebration and recognition?

A recent Musicweb review of Lyrita's Robert Simpson disc described that release as "Unmissable: the first concrete souvenir of 2021ís most important centenary." I beg to differ...

Wink
Such statements, which imply a ranking of composers in order of importance, are lazy and silly. Yes, Simpson is important but more important than Arnold? You and I clearly think not. It's not hard, for God's sake: just write "...souvenir of one of 2021's more important centenaries".

And don't get me started on weather forecasters who tell me that, because 'the glass is rising very high' ( Wink) 'it's going to be a lovely day'. I hate hot weather. Tell me the numbers and I'll decide for myself whether it's going to be lovely or torture. Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 09:40:45 am »

And don't get me started on weather forecasters who tell me that, because 'the glass is rising very high' ( Wink) 'it's going to be a lovely day'. I hate hot weather. Tell me the numbers and I'll decide for myself whether it's going to be lovely or torture. Angry

I long for thick cloud and rain: weather-forecasters telling me it's going to be a "disappointing day" lifts my spirits. This time of year is anathema to me - long, long hours of daylight (I tend to keep as many curtains closed as possible, perhaps I descend from vampire stock)...

...give me December 21st everytime.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 10:26:18 am »

(I tend to keep as many curtains closed as possible, perhaps I descend from vampire stock)...

Well, nobody's perfect.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 10:57:48 am »

As Malcolm Arnold might have said "I have many faults, but being perfect isn't one of them". I cherish the anecdote of a No.10 Downing Street dinner given by Edward Heath to celebrate Walton's 70th birthday in 1972 (attendees including the Queen Mother, Walton, Bliss, Howells, Solti and Laurence Olivier) when Arnold, inebriated as usual, leaned across the table and grabbed Britten by his jacket shouting "you know Ben, this is Richard Rodney Bennett, a f***ing good composer"...

...Lady Bliss was somewhat less than impressed.

Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 12:15:49 pm »

As Malcolm Arnold might have said "I have many faults, but being perfect isn't one of them". I cherish the anecdote of a No.10 Downing Street dinner given by Edward Heath to celebrate Walton's 70th birthday in 1972 (attendees including the Queen Mother, Walton, Bliss, Howells, Solti and Laurence Olivier) when Arnold, inebriated as usual, leaned across the table and grabbed Britten by his jacket shouting "you know Ben, this is Richard Rodney Bennett, a f***ing good composer"...

Cool

I can imagine! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at that little gathering. Sadly, nothing of the sort is likely to happen nowadays...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 01:49:07 pm »

Cool

I can imagine! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at that little gathering. Sadly, nothing of the sort is likely to happen nowadays...

Two points: probably the only music heard in 10 Downing Street these days is bland populist pap supplied through some high-tech gadget or other (part of the refurbishment, no doubt); there just aren't the vivid characters like Arnold around any more...

Sad
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2021, 12:21:28 am »

I long for thick cloud and rain: weather-forecasters telling me it's going to be a "disappointing day" lifts my spirits. This time of year is anathema to me - long, long hours of daylight (I tend to keep as many curtains closed as possible, perhaps I descend from vampire stock)...

...give me December 21st everytime.

Roll Eyes
Interesting,after listening to Der Vampyr! Grin I don't like this time of year,either! Living next to a road! The noise! (No double glazing!) I can't afford the heating bills though,these days. And my millionaire Landlord refuses to fix the leaks;and there's less rain & wind! So,it's got it's good side! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2021, 11:07:24 am »

Interesting,after listening to Der Vampyr! Grin I don't like this time of year,either! Living next to a road! The noise! (No double glazing!) I can't afford the heating bills though,these days. And my millionaire Landlord refuses to fix the leaks;and there's less rain & wind! So,it's got it's good side! Roll Eyes

Sorry to hear that. It's how these cheese-paring SOBs become millionaires in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2021, 05:21:30 pm »

I don't like this time of year,either! Living next to a road! The noise! (No double glazing!) I can't afford the heating bills though,these days. And my millionaire Landlord refuses to fix the leaks;and there's less rain & wind! So,it's got it's good side! Roll Eyes

Sorry to hear that. It's how these cheese-paring SOBs become millionaires in the first place.

Sounds like my student (and subsequent) days - I can't afford the heating either! I hope that music and your many friends here at AMF give some respite...

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2021, 05:28:35 pm »

I don't like this time of year,either! Living next to a road! The noise! (No double glazing!) I can't afford the heating bills though,these days. And my millionaire Landlord refuses to fix the leaks;and there's less rain & wind! So,it's got it's good side! Roll Eyes

I hope that music and your many friends here at AMF give some respite...

Well said, sir.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2021, 12:48:47 pm »

The Concertos, a wonderful legacy! What a great collection from Decca -

- which gives you:

Concerto No.1 for Horn and Orchestra, Op.11 (1945)
Concerto for Clarinet and Strings, Op.20 (1949)
Concertino for Oboe and Strings, Op.28a (arr Roger Steptoe)
Concerto for Piano Duet and Strings, Op.32 (1951)
Concerto for Flute and Strings, Op.45 (1954)
Concerto for Harmonica and Orchestra, Op.46 (1954)
Concerto No.2 for Horn and Strings, Op.58 (1956)
Concerto for Guitar and Chamber Orchestra, Op.67 (1959)
Concerto for Two Violins and Orchestra, Op.77 (1962)
Concerto for Two Pianos (Three Hands), Op.104 (1969)
Concerto for 28 Players, Op.105 (1970)
Concerto for Viola and Chamber Orchestra, Op.108 (1971)
Concerto No.2 for Flute and Orchestra, Op.111 (1972)
Clarinet Concerto No.2, Op.115 (1974)
Fantasy on a Theme of John Field for Piano and Orchestra, Op.116 (1975)
Philharmonic Concerto, Op.120 (1976)
Concerto for Recorder and Orchestra, Op.133 (1988)

Smiley

The remaining five concertos are now all recorded:

Concerto for Oboe and Strings, Op.39 (EMI and Chandos) (1952)
Concerto for Organ and Orchestra, Op.47 (Classico) (1954)
Grand Concerto Gastronomique for Eater, Waiter, Food and Large Orchestra, Op.76 (Toccata) (1961)
Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra, Op.125 (EMI) (1982)
Concerto for Cello and Orchestra, Op.136 (Naxos) (1989)

Several of the concertos have received other recordings and some of the above have been reissued on other labels (for example the original Conifer recordings were licensed to Decca and now appear on Sony) but for the basic Arnold Concerto set the Decca box is the one to seek out.
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2021, 05:04:44 pm »

Currently exploring the broadcast recordings of the symphonies recently uploaded to the archive by Latvian, why these works aren't staples of the repertoire is a question that defeats me entirely. Each of them has such an individual personality, so memorable - my current favourites are 4 and 7, but on another day it may be 2 and 5 or 3 and 6! As with the concertos, they have been lucky on disc, and quite rightly so, with great cycles conducted by Vernon Handley (Conifer/ Decca/ Sony), Andrew Penny (Naxos) and Richard Hickox/ Rumon Gamba (Chandos).

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2021, 12:51:00 am »

A useful summary on the symphonies - https://corymbus.co.uk/malcolm-arnold-a-life-in-symphonies/

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: