The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
July 13, 2024, 09:52:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.
  Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Help needed: proper English music nomenclature

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help needed: proper English music nomenclature  (Read 217 times)
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:47:00 am »

I am preparing the gratis pdf-score release of another rare violin concerto and would like to translate the German annotations into proper English. So can you please help me to find the correct English words?

Especially the percussion section has some annotations about the performing of gongs, triangles, etc. What would you say:

"klingen lassen" (hit the gong for example and let the sound fade away without stopping it) = "let sound"? "let fade out"?

"dämpfen" (hit the gong and soften the sound) = "soften"? "baffle"? "lessen"? "suppress"?

"Wirbel" (on a drum) = "drum roll"?, "whirl"? "swirl"?, "twirl"?

"Rührtrommel" = "tenor drum"?

Thanks for your help!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy