The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2021, 04:41:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Czech Music

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Czech Music  (Read 13529 times)
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 06:01:41 pm »

I've always enjoyed the music of Edwin Schulhoff. I've uploaded 3 works. I think I have a couple more around here somewhere and will try to upload those as well.

Schulhoff's story is a rather sad one. He studied under Reger and Debussy. But because of his radical politics and Jewish hertitage, he was blacklisted as a "degenerate" by the Nazi regime. So he could no longer give recitals in Germany and his music could not be performed. As a communist sympathizer, he was granted Russian citizenship, but before he could get out of Czechoslovakia, he was arrested and sent to a concentration camp, where he died in 1941.

Although his music went through several phases, Schulhoff was one of the first European composers inspired by jazz. His music is often characterized by a notable rhythmic quality that serve as a unique identity. That is certainly true of the works I've uploaded here.

Happy holidays, everyone!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 09:45:05 pm »

Just in case anybody wonders why the Schulhoff "Hot-Sonate" for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra(1930) is not in my catalogue of Schulhoff's orchestral music.......the orchestration is not by Schulhoff himself but by the American composer Robert Russell Bennett.
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »

So, would you omit the orchestral versions of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" or "Night on Bare Mountain" from a catalog of Mussorgsky's orchestral works, or Borodin's "Prince Igor", because they were orchestrated by others?

Just curious.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 10:11:04 pm »

Yes, I agree with you, Amphissa-such omissions as you cite would be rather silly.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 10:49:42 pm »

Phew Grin

I didn't catalogue either Mussorgsky or Borodin (both 19th century composers) so I don't have to face that question. But I am sure that you would find examples of famous orchestrations amongst the works of 20th century composers and they will (almost certainly) be missing from my catalogues Embarrassed  Silly Huh Probably Embarrassed Consistent Huh  Yes.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 10:59:03 pm »

Well, sometimes consistency is key, Colin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2012, 11:36:14 pm »

Even if it's "consistently silly" Huh Huh Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 12:04:33 am »

Well, I guess "silly" is probably too strong a word, but probably not in Mussorgsky's case where his only two major orchestral works were orchestrated by others Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 09:49:58 pm »

Rather, consistently "curious" has always defined Colin's characteristic style.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:51 pm »

Wow, Roelof, what a profusion of Czech riches you have shared with us today! Thanks again Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 09:38:33 pm »

Hi Kyjo,

Knew you would like it.

I have a question about the Kohoutek file. One of the other members had problems with dowloading because of the file-size. At least that's the message he got from Mediafire.
I'm pretty certain you downloaded it as well, and if so, were there problems?

O, and there a few more Czechs 'in the pipeline' but I have to find out if they are/were digital available first.

Best regards

Roelof
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51:57 pm »

Fortunately, I didn't have any problems downloading the Kohoutek file. In any case, I can't wait for your next batch of Czech uploads! The Czech downloads section of this forum is growing ever larger by the day, courtesy of you and other members who so kindly share their collections with us Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 10:52:08 pm »

I cannot praise the efforts of Elroel enough. He has posted numerous uploads of facinating compositions. I had a problem with the Kohoutek download and no one else had a problem. Without questioning my methods he sent me a private link to new uploads of the music. We are very fortunate to have him as a member here.

Frank
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2013, 12:13:16 am »

Definite second to the wonderful Elroel, so helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks, Roelof
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2013, 12:18:59 am »

May I also join in on the praising of Roelof's generosity, kindness and superior knowledge? Good man Smiley

What a great "family" the members of the A-MF are to me Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: