The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2021, 04:01:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British Composers by year of birth, 1850-1939

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Composers by year of birth, 1850-1939  (Read 1085 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 27

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 05:13:47 am »

I have added several composers to the list. I shall add others once I have familiarised myself with them. As a self-confessed "old fogey" some of the names are new to me. My lamentable ignorance no doubt Embarrassed Grin
Any sign of Sorabji getting in there? - or isn't he thought of as British (he certainly didn't think of himself as such!)...
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 08:20:43 am »

The thread title "Contemporary British Composers" rather implies composers who are our contemporaries, rather than those who were contemporaries of each other.
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 09:03:47 am »

Well, yes. 20th and 21st century composers might have been a more apt title: "contemporary" implies they are still alive. Or young. The pedant in me regrets that a composer who died yesterday has ceased to be "contemporary".
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 03:16:09 pm »

I completely take the point and I don't really wish to get over-involved in semantics...............but the definition of "contemporary" as "belonging to or occurring in the present" is but one definition. The other is "living or occurring at the same time" and it was that second definition that I had in mind when composing the thread.

I fully accept that "British Composers and Their Contemporaries" might have been better but such a title might have led people to think that I intended to include non-musical figures who happened to live at the same time as the composers Grin
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 04:23:37 pm »

I completely take the point and I don't really wish to get over-involved in semantics...............but the definition of "contemporary" as "belonging to or occurring in the present" is but one definition. The other is "living or occurring at the same time" and it was that second definition that I had in mind when composing the thread.

I fully accept that "British Composers and Their Contemporaries" might have been better but such a title might have led people to think that I intended to include non-musical figures who happened to live at the same time as the composers Grin
Whilst I accept the point made in your second paragraph, the notion of commencing a list of "comtemporary British composers" with a figure who is not only better known today (insofar as he's known at all) for a flawed and immediately outdated volume on orchestration but has also been dead for three quarters of a century seems at best dubious and at worst bizarre; most people who view this thread and read your list would not even have been born during Forsyth's lifetime!

I would not go quite as far as autoharp does in defining a contemporary composer only as a living one, preferring as I do the thought that such a composer is one who has lived and worked during a reasonable proportion of one's own lifetime, I would question your inclusion of any British composer born before 1900 and, even then, the longest lived of these who was born in that year, Alan Bush, has already been dead for more than 20 years!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 12:52:28 am »

I shall accept the points of criticism both of the title of the thread and of the choice of dates and composers included. Anyone who undertakes any such exercise is open to criticism.

In response-members of a forum such as this may initiate threads and/or respond through posts. I found it mildly interesting to establish which British composers were born when and which, in consequence, were exact or near contemporaries of each other. It seemed to me-as it often does-that I might share this with others in the hope that some might also find it of some interest. Instead I seem to have got myself impaled on the issue of the title of the thread. That is unfortunate. It is-obviously-my fault but it seems to have completely obscured my original intention.

I shall retitle the thread.

One further point. Since it is "my list" I am, In think, entitled to decide who to include. The fact that Cecil Forsyth happened to be born in the year from which I began the list may be 'unfortunate' but if there was another composer born in that year I shall happily add his or her name. However I shall push the list back to 1860 (and thereby begin with William Wallace Grin). Any list has to begin somewhere after all Grin
Report Spam   Logged
northern
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 10:26:38 pm »

1934 John McLeod - big omission from me there!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 10:38:28 pm »

I shall accept the points of criticism both of the title of the thread and of the choice of dates and composers included. Anyone who undertakes any such exercise is open to criticism.

In response-members of a forum such as this may initiate threads and/or respond through posts. I found it mildly interesting to establish which British composers were born when and which, in consequence, were exact or near contemporaries of each other. It seemed to me-as it often does-that I might share this with others in the hope that some might also find it of some interest. Instead I seem to have got myself impaled on the issue of the title of the thread. That is unfortunate. It is-obviously-my fault but it seems to have completely obscured my original intention.

I shall retitle the thread.

One further point. Since it is "my list" I am, In think, entitled to decide who to include. The fact that Cecil Forsyth happened to be born in the year from which I began the list may be 'unfortunate' but if there was another composer born in that year I shall happily add his or her name. However I shall push the list back to 1860 (and thereby begin with William Wallace Grin). Any list has to begin somewhere after all Grin
Nothing wrong with starting where you want to start, of couse; my only quibble was with the "contemporary" in the title and, as that's now changed, then fine! Still no Sorabji, though?...
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 10:56:42 pm »

Alistair - I think . . . give it a rest!
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 04:29:50 am »

Alistair - I think . . . give it a rest!
Quaver or crotchet?...

The principal issue is, after all, that the thread title has now been changed to one that's more appropriate.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: