The Art-Music Forum
October 25, 2021, 11:25:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

United States Music

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: United States Music  (Read 29623 times)
worov
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2014, 02:09:13 pm »

Hi, everyone !

I just discovered this forum and it seems to be a very enjoyable place. I intend to read in depth many of the posts and I'm sure I'll discover many composers.

However I have a question. I have downloaded some files (the Hovhaness symphonies, thanks to the uploader, by the way). I was surprised to see that the files in the ZIP archive were in MP3 format. As you may know, the MP3 format uses a lossy compression. Some information is lost in the process, which means that the MP3 file has a lower quality than the original recording.

More about this here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3

Well, I may sound bitching, but it seems to me, that, when one shares an out of print recording, one should share it in the best possible quality. These LP records are
out of print, right ? Some of these recordings have never been released in LP format (I'm thinking Symphony no.36 here. I never knew it was even recorded). These recordings are pure gold, they must have the best possible treatment they deserve.

There are several lossless formats (WAVE, FLAC, APE are the most used). Anybody can convert a FLAC file in MP3 if one wants to. But the other way around is impossible : I can't regain the information that was lost in the process of conversion in MP3 format.

I will do with the MP3 fles for the moment. But when I'll be listening to these in my living-room on my Hi-Fi system with my very large speakers, I'll be sure they definitely don't sound as good as the original sources. I guess I'll end up buying a second hand copy of the LP's (And I'll listen to Symphony no.36 in MP3 format since it's probably the only source I'll ever come by).

Thanks again for the uploads, I didn't know any of these recordings. And the music is beautiful.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: