The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2021, 04:04:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 66141 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: December 08, 2021, 05:39:30 pm »

What better on a cold,winter evening,than to snuggle up with a hot drink and a copy of the Book of Revelations?! A racy read,if ever there was! Or save yourself some time and listen to this grim,austere,musical version,instead! Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: Today at 01:09:55 am »

Warner 2 cd's

Franz Lehár's lovely singspiel,about a romantic episode in the life of Goethe's,is one of his loveliest and most inspired scores and less sentimental than say,(Das Land des Lachelns)The Land of Smiles (Best known for,You are my Hearts delight!). It is absolutely,chock full of delightful numbers. It also contains my favourite Lehar song,"Oh Maiden,my maiden",which was a huge hit for Tauber. This sumptuous 1981 production by emi-electrola was one of the last in their operetta series. To think emi would once spend money on studio productions of less well known fare like this! Adolf Dallapozza is very good,but,it has to be said,no match for Gedda,let alone Tauber. (Or Rudolf Schock on a Eurodisc cd of highlights). Helen Donath is a favourite of mine,nuff said! Judicious use of sound effects & dialogue. But not too much! The  Munich orchestra sound so lush & there are some lovely choruses. Operetta heaven! (Or Light Opera heaven,if you prefer?) Indeed,the author of the article about Friederike at the Amsterdam Operetta Research Centre goes so far as to say,"Yes, I love Friederike and if I had to take one Lehár show to the legendary desert island this would be the one!" Lovely! Lovely! Lovely! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: