The Art-Music Forum
September 17, 2021, 03:12:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 34973 times)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: February 19, 2021, 03:15:40 pm »

Just added:

Hoddinott - Lizard, Concerto for Orchestra, Op.181 (2003)
BBC NOW/ Jac van Steen (24/1/2009, br. 18/2/2021)

This is from the second concert given at the newly-opened Hoddinott Hall in Cardiff.

"More poetry with Alun Hoddinott’s Lizard, of 2003. In 1995 Hoddinott wrote a set of four songs under the title Tymhorau (Seasons), setting texts by Gwyn Thomas, accomplished poet in both languages of Wales. The text he set for summer, was Thomas’s heat-filled poem which observes and evokes the sudden movements (and equally sudden stillnesses) of a lizard seen, in fierce sunlight, upon an ancient wall in Provence. Responding to a later commission from the BBC National Orchestra of Wales (in 2003), Hoddinott produced an extended (the piece lasts almost thirty minutes) orchestral response to the same poem. It would be wrong to think of the piece as straightforwardly programmatic – apart from anything else the twenty one short lines of Thomas’s poem alone would hardly fuel a piece of such length. But Hoddinott has clearly responded both to the poem’s contrast between suddenness and stillness and to Thomas’s use of musical metaphor within his text:

It’s a lizard
            Come out
            To warm its blood in the sun.
            Small, mottled, stock-still
            With skin like tissue paper
            Respirating energy.
            Then a pizzicato
            Across the wall, across its sunlight:
            Another stop,
            Respires again.
            Then cranks on
            As in an old film.

Hoddinott’s score alternates faster and slower sections, in a relatively loose A-B-A-B-A structure and is built around two essential motifs, a pattern of triplets which ascends to a motif of fast repeated notes and, on the other hand, a group of five rhythmically pronounced semiquavers. At times one can ‘hear’ images from Thomas’s poem very clearly: some of the orchestral textures seeming to evoke, with some vividness the sensory juxtapositions of “sunlight, a lizard, a wall / An old, old wall” and some of the changes of tempo evocative of the abruptness of the lizard’s stoppings and startings. At other times, Hoddinott seems more concerned to explore the purely musical possibilities of his material, and the references to Thomas’s poem seem to (largely) disappear. The explicitly programmatic and the more ‘abstract’ elements aren’t perhaps always fully integrated, but this is certainly a very accomplished score and van Steen and his orchestra were certainly persuasive advocates for it, responsive to Hoddinott’s vivid contrasts of colour and sonority." (Seen and Heard International, Musicweb, January 2009)

Hi Albion, thanks for uploading but having trouble finding it.  Is it in the download section?
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 20, 2021, 01:35:11 am »

Hi Albion, thanks for uploading but having trouble finding it.  Is it in the download section?

Yes, it's in the archive...

Smiley

I'm an idiot then and try as I might, I can't find.  Can you please provide a link to it?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 77

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 20, 2021, 07:06:25 pm »

Many thanks to Latvian for another treasure, an early oratorio by Alun Hoddinott -

Hoddinott - Job, Op. 24 (1962, rev. 1977)
Paul Wilson, bass/ BBC Welsh Choral Society/ Cardiff Bach Choir/ BBC Welsh O/ Vernon Handley
(br. 8/5/1979)

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 24, 2021, 09:16:55 am »

Once again, many thanks to Latvian. We now have the following broadcast in the archive:

Parry - An English Suite (1890-1918)
BBC Scottish SO/ Stanford Robinson

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 24, 2021, 08:38:06 pm »

Latvian has generously provided the following important composer-conducted works for addition to the archive:

Alan Bush - Birthday Overture, Op.23 (1942)
Alan Bush - Symphony No.2, Nottingham, Op.33 (1949)
Alan Rawsthorne - Concerto for String Orchestra (1949)
Alan Rawsthorne - Symphony No.2, A Pastoral Symphony (1959)

Viktoriya Ivanova, sop/ USSR State SO/ Alan Bush/ Alan Rawsthorne (3/10/1963, Melodiya LP D-012687/90)

I have converted the separate FLAC files for each movement and joined them into a single MP3 (192kbps) file for each work.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 24, 2021, 11:04:13 pm »

I am currently re-structuring the archive, which may take some time.

Please send me a PM for links to specific items from the catalogue:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/7o5xxgqk4d75t/Archive+of+British+and+Irish+Music+-+Catalogue+2021

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 25, 2021, 06:28:04 pm »

Latvian has generously provided the following important composer-conducted works for addition to the archive:

Alan Bush - Birthday Overture, Op.23 (1942)
Alan Bush - Symphony No.2, Nottingham, Op.33 (1949)
Alan Rawsthorne - Concerto for String Orchestra (1949)
Alan Rawsthorne - Symphony No.2, A Pastoral Symphony (1959)

Viktoriya Ivanova, sop/ USSR State SO/ Alan Bush/ Alan Rawsthorne (3/10/1963, Melodiya LP D-012687/90)

I have converted the separate FLAC files for each movement and joined them into a single MP3 (192kbps) file for each work.

Smiley
How interesting! I suppose,it's not such a surprise that Melodiya recorded music by Bush. I didn't know they'd recorded Rawsthorne,though! (I just looked up the original Lp's,now). Thank you Latvian (And Albion!) Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 04, 2021, 05:55:11 am »

Latvian has generously provided the following works for addition to the archive:

Delius - Paa vidderne,  On the Mountains (1890-92)
Kensington SO/ Leslie Head (br. Radio London 25/7/1974)

Delius - Fantastic Dance (1931)
Monteverdi O/ John Eliot Gardiner

Holst - Two Eastern Pictures, for female voices and harp (1911)
Sidonie Goossens, harp/ BBC Women's Chorus/ Peter Gellhorn (br. 22/2/1967)

Holst - A Fugal Overture, Op.40 No.1 (1922)
LPO/ Adrian Boult (br. 24/3/1971)

McEwen - Grey Galloway (1908)
BBC Scottish SO/ Charles Groves (br. 12/12/1989)

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Latvian
Level 5

Times thanked: 83

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: March 05, 2021, 10:25:36 am »

I've loved British and Irish music for most of my life. Composers such as Vaughan Williams and Holst touched me deeply in my youth and led me to eagerly explore their output. Even now, decades after I first participated as a clarinetist in wind band performances of RVW's Folk Song Suite and Holst's two Suites for Band, the music is still engagingly fresh and engaging. After a lifetime in music I marvel even more at the mechanics of Holst's brilliant writing and instrumentation.

This early passion quickly led me to explore other composers from the British Isles and played havoc with my wallet as I acquired new discoveries. At some point I discovered the world of broadcast recordings and found even more composers and music than the commercial marketplace offered.

(I can say much the same for other passions -- music from America, France, Scandinavia... Thank goodness for external hard drives! Otherwise, my wife and I would be drowning in LPs, CDs, cassettes, and other media by now.)

So, the result of years of obsessive collecting of broadcast recordings is the material I'm gladly sharing here. When I first discovered Albion's Archive, I found much to greatly expand my own collection. Now, I'm happy to help expand the Archive with many recordings I've made and acquired from other sources and collectors, to turn this endeavor into a truly comprehensive and unique collection.

Maris
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 05, 2021, 11:02:59 am »

I've loved British and Irish music for most of my life. Composers such as Vaughan Williams and Holst touched me deeply in my youth and led me to eagerly explore their output...  Now, I'm happy to help expand the Archive with many recordings I've made and acquired from other sources and collectors, to turn this endeavor into a truly comprehensive and unique collection.

Maris

I couldn't agree more about VW and Holst!

Thank you for the many recordings you have contributed so far (and thank you, in anticipation, for whatever you might add in the future!)

Smiley 
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 05, 2021, 01:19:37 pm »

Thanks to Latvian for providing the following broadcasts, which are now safely in the archive:

Foulds - April-England, Op.48 No.1 (1926, orch. 1932)
BBC PO/ Michael Seal (br. 12/9/2016)

Foulds - Three Mantras, Op. 61b (1930)
London Symphony Chorus members/ BBC PO/ Juanjo Mena (br. 15/8/2013)

Foulds - Le Cabaret, overture to a French comedy, Op.72a (1921)
BBC PO/ Ben Gernon (br. 31/1/2017)

Parry - Elegy for Brahms (1897)
BBC SO/ Andrew Davis (br. 2/8/2010)

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 05, 2021, 01:28:30 pm »

the result of years of obsessive collecting of broadcast recordings is the material I'm gladly sharing here. When I first discovered Albion's Archive, I found much to greatly expand my own collection. Now, I'm happy to help expand the Archive with many recordings I've made and acquired from other sources and collectors, to turn this endeavor into a truly comprehensive and unique collection.

Maris

Bless you, my friend. I can't think of a better use of the hoarding instinct!

Wink

I've been recording off-air since around 1980, initially on a very primitive cassette recorder, such as every primary school class-room used to have, with the radio near the microphone. Woe-betide anybody who made an extraneous noise (physical, verbal or bodily)...

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Latvian
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: March 05, 2021, 01:52:55 pm »

Ah, yes! I have numerous in-house recordings of Latvian concerts made on just such a machine!
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 05, 2021, 01:56:20 pm »

Woe-betide anybody who made an extraneous noise (physical, verbal or bodily)...

Grin

So this costume would have been mandatory, then...?

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 05, 2021, 05:03:05 pm »

the result of years of obsessive collecting of broadcast recordings is the material I'm gladly sharing here. When I first discovered Albion's Archive, I found much to greatly expand my own collection. Now, I'm happy to help expand the Archive with many recordings I've made and acquired from other sources and collectors, to turn this endeavor into a truly comprehensive and unique collection.

Maris

Bless you, my friend. I can't think of a better use of the hoarding instinct!

Wink

I've been recording off-air since around 1980, initially on a very primitive cassette recorder, such as every primary school class-room used to have, with the radio near the microphone. Woe-betide anybody who made an extraneous noise (physical, verbal or bodily)...

Grin
Yes,I can remember the family,siamese cats,outside the door,during one recording I made. You could hear them on the resulting,tape,afterwards! Their yowling,punctuating the music! Much to my consternation!! Roll Eyes I think I might have been recording Havergal Brian?!! Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: