The Art-Music Forum
October 16, 2021, 12:45:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 35122 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 17, 2016, 06:59:32 pm »

Albion, please feel free to add my recently uploaded Irish material to the archive as well!

I certainly will when I get some time to admin. Many thanks!

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Corentin Boissier
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2016, 10:05:14 pm »

Hello everyone !
WARNING : in the British and Irish Folder, Ruth Gipps' "Symphony No. 4" (1972) (conducted by John Pritchard) is in four tracks, but the first of these four tracks is not from this symphony, it's the last movement of Peter Racine Fricker's "Symphony No. 3" (1960) conducted by Barry Wordsworth !!!
The 2nd track is the first movement of Gipps' "Symphony No. 4" (Moderato - Allegro molto - Poco meno mosso) ; the 3rd track is the second movement (Adagio) ; and the 4th track includes both the 3rd and 4th movements (Scherzo : Allegretto, and Finale : Andante - Allegro molto).

Corentin Boissier (collectionCB, collectionCB2, collectionCB3 & collectionCB4)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: April 04, 2016, 02:51:53 am »

Thank you very much indeed for that invaluable correction!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 04, 2016, 09:25:48 am »

Hello everyone !
WARNING : in the British and Irish Folder, Ruth Gipps' "Symphony No. 4" (1972) (conducted by John Pritchard) is in four tracks, but the first of these four tracks is not from this symphony, it's the last movement of Peter Racine Fricker's "Symphony No. 3" (1960) conducted by Barry Wordsworth !!!
The 2nd track is the first movement of Gipps' "Symphony No. 4" (Moderato - Allegro molto - Poco meno mosso) ; the 3rd track is the second movement (Adagio) ; and the 4th track includes both the 3rd and 4th movements (Scherzo : Allegretto, and Finale : Andante - Allegro molto).

Corentin Boissier (collectionCB, collectionCB2, collectionCB3 & collectionCB4)

Thanks! This has been amended and the correct files are now renumbered 1-3.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2016, 12:55:58 pm »

I have uploaded today's specially-recorded broadcasts of two overtures by William Sterndale Bennett performed by the BBC SO under James Feddeck:

The May Queen, Op.39, originally Marie du Bois (1842, rev. 1844)

Paradise and the Peri, Op.42 (1862)

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 28, 2016, 02:10:33 am »

Edward Isaacs: Piano Concerto in C# Minor

From the collection of Karl Miller

Piano Concerto in C# Minor
Iris Loveridge, piano
BBC Northern Orchestra
John Hopkins, conductor
[date unknown]
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 28, 2016, 02:30:06 am »

Stokowski Conducts in the USSR

From the collection of Karl Miller

Johann Sebastian Bach: Little Fugue in G Minor (transcribed by Stokowski)
Wagner: Lohengrin Act I, Prelude
Wagner: Tristan and Isolde: Prelude and Liebestod (Transcribed by Stokowski)
Ravel:  Alborada del Gracioso
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique"
Barber: Adagio for Strings

USSR State Radio and TV Large Symphonhy Orchestra
Conducted by Leopold Stokowski
[30 June 1958]

For completely childish reasons, I'd also suggest you check out the classic
Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs imitated Leopold to get revenge on an opera
singer.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 28

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2016, 10:31:51 pm »

I have just completed uploading a trio of British cello concertos (Berkeley, ApIvor, and Osborne).  Let the record show, however, that these performances were contributed by member Greg K and that my role was limited to some (very minor) assistance with the actual uploads.  Thanks to Greg, as well as sincere apologies for my slothfulness in actually completing the uploads.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: May 29, 2016, 12:41:51 am »

Thank you both for your contribution although I think you will find that the Lennox Berkeley Dialogue is already in our Archive in the same performance.

The Denis apIvor Cello Concerto is especially welcome. The Nigel Osborne is not for me.....but others will no doubt appreciate it.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 28

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 29, 2016, 12:49:02 am »

Thank you both for your contribbution although I think you will find that the Lennox Berkeley Dialogue is already in our Archive in the same performance.

Oops!   Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: May 29, 2016, 01:10:01 am »

Thank you both for your contribbution although I think you will find that the Lennox Berkeley Dialogue is already in our Archive in the same performance.

Oops!   Embarrassed

Not to worry Grin We have such a wealth of music in that Archive that it is well-nigh impossible to remember everything Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2016, 12:55:44 am »

Oops!   Embarrassed

Didn't know that either, or I'd have not put you up to it, Brian.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: May 30, 2016, 02:31:08 am »

Oops!   Embarrassed

Didn't know that either, or I'd have not put you up to it, Brian.

I now recall that it was actually I who provided the original recording of the performance Roll Eyes Grin

Before however we go any further......it is always worth checking to see if the "duplicate" recording is actually of better sound quality. I know that some of my recordings of the period leave something to be desired and if your recording is better then I would be more than happy to have mine withdrawn and yours substituted!
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2016, 06:04:16 pm »

Somewhat lackluster as I recall finding the piece, my inclination to make the comparison you suggest is correspondingly weak.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: July 15, 2016, 01:23:42 am »

Having recently lamented the paucity of recordings of the music of Colin Matthews it is only appropriate that I thank northern for his upload of "Traces Remain"-an affecting and mpressive piece.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: