The Art-Music and Linguistics Forum
June 30, 2022, 03:19:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 37742 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 89

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 19, 2022, 03:33:35 pm »

I have added an excellent performance of Stanford's choral ballad The Revenge, Op.24 (1886) to the archive.

The Cecilian Singers (Hong Kong) and orchestra/ David Francis Urrows (24/4/1998)

This is a valuable supplement to Hickox on Chandos: very good singing and playing indeed.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 09, 2022, 10:04:52 am »

Thanks to cilgwyn we now have a complete recording of Malcolm Williamson's opera "Our Man in Havana" (1963) performed by Lyric Opera, Melbourne in 2016. The cast is detailed at the end of the broadcast.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dashiell2007
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 09, 2022, 10:32:36 am »

Abbsolutely splendid news. Thanks to you both.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 09, 2022, 11:34:15 am »

Absolutely splendid news. Thanks to you both.

No worries. If you want to watch the production it's also on Youtube - personally, I find MP3s much handier:

Act 1 -

Act 2 -

Act 3 -

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 09, 2022, 01:40:17 pm »

Blimey (as Albion might say!) I did something right! Shocked I'm going to have to get around to listening to the whole opera,now! I don't think I'm going to be in a hurry to watch the production on Youtube,though! Although,I might try a bit?! I'm not to mad on watching operas & I've only ever been to one. A production of Rossini's Cinderella;the highlight of which was one of the cast fainting and being dragged out from behind the curtain. Great stuff! It livened up,what felt like,a very long night! (I was a youngster back then!)
I can see allot of members salivating at the thought of a Delius opera! I'll have to get it off the cassette first,anyway,which involves humping a cassette deck upstairs or the pc downstairs! Sometimes a lack of interest is much appreciated! Grin
Isn't it great that Lyric Opera are performing stuff like that,though. If only ENO would put on a production of The Tigers or the WNO would give us Holbrooke's Bronwen. Now that would be something! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 09, 2022, 04:36:57 pm »

Absolutely splendid news. Thanks to you both.

No worries. If you want to watch the production it's also on Youtube - personally, I find MP3s much handier:

Act 1 -

Act 2 -

Act 3 -

Smiley
And I've got to say,converting file formats is very probably one of the most boring tedious things I have ever done in my entire life!! It almost makes me long for the days of press "Play/Record"! Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 09, 2022, 04:44:20 pm »

And I've got to say,converting file formats is very probably one of the most boring tedious things I have ever done in my entire life!! It almost makes me long for the days of press "Play/Record"! Smiley

Smiley

That's how I spend most of my days across this and other forums! MP3 to WAV, WAV to MP3, cut this bit, cut that bit, balance this section against that section. Join and split!

Roll Eyes

Have no fear, your recordings are safely gathered in.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2022, 05:06:17 pm »

So,people like me don't have to! Lovely! Grin Smiley Incidentally,I just swapped that radio cassette thingummy for this model,since it seemed to have some ID on it! (I don't think they'd sue me! Roll Eyes) I must have spent allot of man hours waiting patiently beside one of these things for a R3 broadcast of some obscure work or composer I'd never heard of! The reception was usually poor on R3 (great on R2. Yes,I want to record Glen Campbell! Roll Eyes) so I'd try and fiddle with the telescopic aerial,usually,to disastrous effect! I seem to recall that Dundonnell's (Colin) recording of Arnold's super-slow performance of his Seventh Symphony included an added bonus of police radio messages! Great fun! Grin Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2022, 06:47:33 pm »

So,people like me don't have to! Lovely! Grin Smiley Incidentally,I just swapped that radio cassette thingummy for this model,since it seemed to have some ID on it! (I don't think they'd sue me! Roll Eyes) I must have spent allot of man hours waiting patiently beside one of these things for a R3 broadcast of some obscure work or composer I'd never heard of! The reception was usually poor on R3 (great on R2. Yes,I want to record Glen Campbell! Roll Eyes) so I'd try and fiddle with the telescopic aerial,usually,to disastrous effect! I seem to recall that Dundonnell's (Colin) recording of Arnold's super-slow performance of his Seventh Symphony included an added bonus of police radio messages! Great fun! Grin Smiley

Such fun! That was the joy of FM in the good old days - local tips from the coppers as to what were the best places to pilfer from (i.e. low security)...
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2022, 07:16:58 pm »

Yes,I remember my adolescent joy at discovering that I could listen into PC plod by tuning the family radio to (near) the top of the FM band. I would treat the whole family to,"Echo,Charlie,Fox-trot,bleep!" If there was a chip pan on fire or a wonky headlight,they'd know about it! One day,to my horror I heard the cop saying he was going to my address. I pictured myself being pinned up against the wall and frisked (an overdose of Starsky & Hutch,perhaps?! Although,my imagination didn't run as far as Huggy Bear!! Grin) ) & bundled off  in a police car in front of my mum and dad! The knock of the door came & so did the cop,but no arrest! Apparently,some kids had lifted the front gate off & thrown it into the hedge!! (Almost on a par with a bank heist in the village where I lived!) As if they'd know I was listening to them?!! Roll Eyes Grin Oh,and listening into ship to shore phone calls on shortwave (Oops! Musn't mention that!) in the morning! All satellite & encryption now!! Sad
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 09, 2022, 07:28:53 pm »

And now let's return to the topic please,gentlemen! AH)

Not that,you fool! Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 84

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 09, 2022, 07:49:41 pm »

And now let's return to the topic please,gentlemen! AH)

Not that,you fool! Angry

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You are on form today!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 09, 2022, 08:53:15 pm »

Grin Haven't had one of those for years! Toblerone's are nice! I regularly have to force myself to walk past those huge ones on display,when I'm in a chain store! One day?!! Roll Eyes

Playing Now! Malcolm Williamson: Our Man in Havana   Lyric Opera,Melbourne (as uploaded to the AMF Forum & thank you to Albion!0

This one is a really nice surprise! Not being a musician,a brief article/review I found at tuneaday (see link,below) describes Malcolm Williamson's achievement better than I could.

"Williamson incorporated seemingly incompatible musical styles in the same piece Cuban habanera and European dances with serial influences from Berg and neo-classicism from Stravinsky. Inevitably, it occasionally also brings Bernstein to mind.

Don't let the mention of Berg put you off,though! Right from the orchestral Prelude (or Overture) some of this comes over as more like like listening to a rather sophisticated broadway musical than a conventional opera. Williamson uses cuban dance forms & rhythms. Some of it is very tuneful,indeed & MW's orchestration is a delight!  I can understand the comparison with Bernstein (I think he was better at musicals). It is all very enjoyable,indeed and,unlike some 20th c operas I've listened to (and some 19th c!) I don't feel an urge to look at the cd display to see how much is left!! In fact,the mind boggles that such an enjoyable opera is so neglected! This strikes me as just as good,if not better,than some of Britten's lesser offerings. The performance is in pretty good sound (to my ears) well performed & a very quiet audience!  The occasional intrusion of an Australian announcer between acts adds a nice sense of occasion. This fascinating,clever and very enjoyable opera deserves to be heard and really does deserve a commercial cd release with all the trimmings! If you think mid-late 20th century opera is all tuneless warbling,you should have a go at this!

https://atuneadayblogdotcom.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/malcolm-williamson-serenade-from-our-man-in-havana-1963/
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 10, 2022, 10:24:15 am »

Indeed it still does! In the 1980s I annoyed other sixth-form members at my comprehensive school by telling them to shut the f*ck up whilst I recorded broadcasts from a radio onto a portable cassette recorder. Happy days!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: