The Art-Music and Linguistics Forum
August 09, 2022, 05:31:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 37962 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2022, 08:53:15 pm »

;D Haven't had one of those for years! Toblerone's are nice! I regularly have to force myself to walk past those huge ones on display,when I'm in a chain store! One day?!! ::)

Playing Now! Malcolm Williamson: Our Man in Havana   Lyric Opera,Melbourne (as uploaded to the AMF Forum & thank you to Albion!0

This one is a really nice surprise! Not being a musician,a brief article/review I found at tuneaday (see link,below) describes Malcolm Williamson's achievement better than I could.

"Williamson incorporated seemingly incompatible musical styles in the same piece Cuban habanera and European dances with serial influences from Berg and neo-classicism from Stravinsky. Inevitably, it occasionally also brings Bernstein to mind.

Don't let the mention of Berg put you off,though! Right from the orchestral Prelude (or Overture) some of this comes over as more like like listening to a rather sophisticated broadway musical than a conventional opera. Williamson uses cuban dance forms & rhythms. Some of it is very tuneful,indeed & MW's orchestration is a delight!  I can understand the comparison with Bernstein (I think he was better at musicals). It is all very enjoyable,indeed and,unlike some 20th c operas I've listened to (and some 19th c!) I don't feel an urge to look at the cd display to see how much is left!! In fact,the mind boggles that such an enjoyable opera is so neglected! This strikes me as just as good,if not better,than some of Britten's lesser offerings. The performance is in pretty good sound (to my ears) well performed & a very quiet audience!  The occasional intrusion of an Australian announcer between acts adds a nice sense of occasion. This fascinating,clever and very enjoyable opera deserves to be heard and really does deserve a commercial cd release with all the trimmings! If you think mid-late 20th century opera is all tuneless warbling,you should have a go at this!

https://atuneadayblogdotcom.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/malcolm-williamson-serenade-from-our-man-in-havana-1963/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: