The Art-Music Forum
October 17, 2021, 08:16:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British and Irish Music

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British and Irish Music  (Read 35123 times)
paul corfield godfrey
Level 2

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: April 04, 2021, 12:06:20 pm »

One of the items in the archive is shown as incomplete - Hoddinott's opera The Beach of Falesa - but in fact the missing Third Act is to be found listed elsewhere in the Pogonyi archive on a separate 'tape' or transfer. It is interesting to note that this appears to be a different performance from the recording extracts of which I provided for the AMF archive a decade or more ago. Mine was taken from the BBC radio broadcast, but there had been an HTV television transmission some days earlier (and indeed I had highlighted the excerpts I wished to record from both that telecast and an earlier live performance). I suspect that the new and complete version in the Pogonyi archives was taken from that HTV transmission, both on the grounds of sound, some discrepancies in the sung notes, and what I think sounds like an editing join before Geraint Evans's concluding monologue in the last Act (I was told at the time that there had to be a pause in the television recording at that point on technical grounds - too much smoke emerging from the exploding temple).

I agree that there are some very valuable and unique recordings in the adventurous Miklos Pogonyi archive, and that of Alan Bush's Byron Symphony for example is a vast improvement on the existing recording quite apart from being sung in English rather than German (although the first performance was in the latter language). One wonders how many other private archives are out there with rare and unusual items lurking in their depths?

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: