The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2021, 05:05:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Welcome

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 4328 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:36:38 pm »

Hello to all Smiley

I suspect that those of you who know what has happened over at Unsung Composers and, specifically, the fact that I was summarily banned from that forum after eleven months of-I sincerely hope and believe-useful contributions to that forum will not be at all surprised to see me joining this forum Grin

It will be fantastic to continue our friendships and our mutual respect for musical tastes which, though they may differ in specifics, are linked together by a common love of Music as one of the greatest (if not the greatest) of art forms.

Dundonnell.
Mr. Dundonnell - can't quite believe what I'm reading from you ! Your immensely scholarly contributions to UC, though I never did/will get round to reading them fully (!), were hugely appreciated.
 I have no clue, or wish to have, of what must have gone on 'behind the scenes' at that Forum, but am mightily relieved to see so many familiar 'names' popping up almost immediately over here, with the promise of more lovely music, and a bit of learning for those of us who are still depressingly ignorant.
Long live The A-MF !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:30:53 pm »

Long live The A-MF !

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
kyjo
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

Colin, I am so glad to see you here Grin! Like many of the people from over at UC, I love music from the Romantic (mostly late) era, but I am more adventurous than the two moderators over there (I enjoy tonal, accessible modern music but cannot stand serialism, electronic music, and the like). Hopefully this website will eventually have a downloads section comparable to that of UC. I and many others were worried we'd never get to hear from you or enjoy your valuable contributions, Colin, but now everything's okay Smiley. I won't have much to contribute download-wise on this site, but I will try to join in on discussions I have interest in. And one question: are we allowed to discuss romantic music here?
Best Regards,
Kyjo
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:52 pm »

Hello everyone!  I'm excited to be here, and to pick up where I left off (literally) on UC-- posting some esoteric French composers from ORTF broadcasts.   I looks like the  party never stopped-- it's just getting better and better...

Karl Miller is also starting to burn more discs for me to share with you all, and now, with the broader content, I may have a gem or two I can share.  Just got back from vacation, but you'll hear from me soon enough.....
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
kyjo
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 12:16:03 am »

Great to have you here as well, jowcol. You'll definitely have some surprises and treasures in store for us from Karl Miller's amazing collection Grin. It's great to see so many familiar faces from UC Smiley.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:39 am »

Colin, I am so glad to see you here Grin! Like many of the people from over at UC, I love music from the Romantic (mostly late) era, but I am more adventurous than the two moderators over there (I enjoy tonal, accessible modern music but cannot stand serialism, electronic music, and the like). Hopefully this website will eventually have a downloads section comparable to that of UC. I and many others were worried we'd never get to hear from you or enjoy your valuable contributions, Colin, but now everything's okay Smiley. I won't have much to contribute download-wise on this site, but I will try to join in on discussions I have interest in. And one question: are we allowed to discuss romantic music here?
Best Regards,
Kyjo

Thank you most sincerely Smiley And thank you for you very kind comments both here and elsewhere Grin

It is great to meet up again so quickly Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 03:46:13 am »

Ah, good to hear from you, Colin Smiley! I was upset that both you and Albion (two of UC's most valuable members) had left UC until I realized both of you had joined this forum Grin! I shall be participating in this forum with interest, especially now that you're here Smiley!
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 10:14:58 am »

Best Regards,
Kyjo

Well I'm happy to see that every one is happy!

Actually I have never quite understood the meaning of the word "Romantic" as applied to music, so it is a word I hardly ever use. It seems unnecessary and inaccurate. A couple of years ago I was glancing at some book, and noticed a description of a conversation Beethoven had with Goethe. Beethoven is reported to have said "the age of Romanticism is over"! Unfortunately I didn't note it down at the time, and have been unable to find the reference or the book again.
Report Spam   Logged
rbert12
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 02:18:02 pm »

Hi to all,

If I can understand perfectly the decision of UC administrators to remain focused in their area of interest, it was nonetheles a big deception for me  Sad, not only to be unable to explore new XX century music but because the little contribution I coud do (I am no music expert) will no longer be possible, as practically all my radio recordings fall outside the new rules. As most of you, I like romantic music, wathever the definition, but also a lot of music that is definitively not romantic from Hindemith to Messiaen, Villa-Lobos to Ifukube.
Many cheers to Sydney!! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Schuylkill
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 03:06:22 pm »

My preference is to use different user names and different passwords for different projects. "Universal" examples of these two things worry me. Having said that I will give a tiny little lecture. You will see the user name Schuylkill. It is the name of a river that flows from Pennsylvania's coal country down through my home town of Philadelphia. The locals pronounce it skookel. My point - don't forget the sixth letter, an "L." You usually don't hear it.

Some of you may recognise me as shamokin88, a user name for the Other Place.

Best to all.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 03:21:58 pm »

Schuylkill. It is the name of a river that flows from Pennsylvania's coal country down through my home town of Philadelphia. The locals pronounce it skookel.

Good to see a proper Dutch name here - and learn how it's pronounced by the indigenous. In Dutch, Schuyl  would sound something like "s-khkh-ehhy-l".  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 03:28:16 pm »

Some of you may recognise me as shamokin88, a user name for the Other Place.

I've trouble enough remembering a couple of user names/passwords, never mind a new one everywhere I venture.
Still, good to know who you are/were at UC. Reckon we'll almost all be here soon !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
jimfin
Level 5

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 03:37:29 pm »

I'm enjoying the profile picture option! If that existed at UC, I wasn't aware of it!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »

Shall I change my username to-

Dundonnell Redux Huh Huh Grin Grin

I would do but for the fact that it would remind me how much I prefer the original Francis Ford Coppola "Apocalypse Now" to "Apocalypse Redux" Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 07:38:12 pm »

The refugee influx continues apace.

Nice to see some familiar names here.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: