The Art-Music Forum
November 29, 2021, 06:29:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Duttons for May/June

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duttons for May/June  (Read 2288 times)
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 05:47:30 am »

Bosque Bill, your points are all well taken. (Though you'd think funding would be a snap for anyone dating Clark Kent.   Tongue ) And your example is even better. So far I have contributed towards the source-funding of one recording project. Unfortunately, the resulting CD, though attractively packaged, is unplayable on any player I own, including an Oppo SACD player.

Louis Lane's is, if memory serves, the performance of Horizons I heard, too. Meanwhile, though Shepherd was a lapsed Mormon, the Mormons appear to have helped with at least one CD that I'm aware of -- the one with the professional but not inspired performance of Shepherd's Piano Quintet. This work, in its less pushy way, asks for the same do-or-die conviction as chamber music by Bloch. Shepherd's first String Quartet is also an exceptional work of far more than historical interest. I rather suspect that the Cleveland Orchestra has taped performances of Shepherd orchestral works from the Szell era. I wonder if the same is true of the Utah SO from the Abravanel period. In both cases the performances could be expected to be excellent. And getting those restored and published might be cheaper than recording works from scratch.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 05:00:59 pm »

I keep checking the website but still no information on new releases, any news?

Sad Huh
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:37 pm »

Late as usual.  Now pushed to the end of July.  Big autumn release planned.  Recording an Armstrong Gibbs disc as we speak.
They are quite enigmatic.  I think they hate making money!   Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 5

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 10:29:33 am »

Thanks Tapiola. I'm doing the same as John, every day. Will take a rest from it for a week or too now!
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 07:52:21 am »

The four new July releases are advertised in the latest edition of Gramophone magazine, so I guess they must definitely be 'on their way' soon.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2015, 08:35:36 am »

Excellent news!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 02:29:13 am »

.........and these four new releases are?
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 06:44:30 am »

CDLX  7319 Henry Hadley [American] orchestral works

CDLX  7320 Britten & Delius Violin Concs + Milford Darkling Thrush (Philippe Graffin, vln)

CDLX 7322 John Alden Carpenter Patterns, Concertino, Krazy Kat, Carmel Concerto

CDLX 7323 Vaughan Williams: Concerto for two pianos and London Sym (1920 version)

Presumably the others tapiola mentioned are "coming later"
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 10:12:28 am »

Hmmm. I was hoping for at least one of the discs of Sullivan's incidental music (The Tempest and Macbeth) conducted by John Andrews and the BBC Concert Orchestra - there's nothing to tempt me here, probably for the first time ...

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 09:01:51 pm »

My reaction is similar to that of John....Hmm

In fact-probably for the first time ever with Dutton-I shall be buying the two cds of American music rather than the British discs. I really am not interested in adding further versions of the VW London Symphony or the Britten or Delius Violin Concertos to my collection. The Milford is just not enough to tempt me to the violin disc and although I appreciate that the recording of the VW London Symphony is in one of its several revised versions that doesn't really tempt me either. No doubt Dutton have sound financial reasons for taking their British music repertoire into more familiar territory than in the past but I cannot but regret the move.

....still there is at least one exciting new recording coming up soon with the Havergal Brian Second and Fourteenth Symphonies Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2015, 11:42:48 pm »

An Armstrong Gibbs orchestral disc will be forthcoming, the Bates Cello Concerto w/premier of Bax's very early Symphonic Variations, a 3rd volume of Braunfels......and much more I am told.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 03:20:10 pm »

An Armstrong Gibbs orchestral disc will be forthcoming, the Bates Cello Concerto w/premier of Bax's very early Symphonic Variations, a 3rd volume of Braunfels......and much more I am told.

Yes....I can look forward to these. Apart from the symphonies (which have been recorded) and choral works Armstrong Gibbs wrote only for small orchestra or string orchestra if I recall correctly but a disc of his previously unrecorded music will certainly be worth hearing.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 09:10:01 pm »

There'd better be some Sullivan as well ...

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

jimfin
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 12:10:06 am »

Have Dutton ever done Sullivan? I'm pretty sure they haven't. They have not tended to venture into opera anyway, apart from a couple of noble exceptions like The Bride of Dionysus and The Queen of Cornwall. Is the Macbeth/Tempest disc going to be Dutton?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 06:54:36 am »

Have Dutton ever done Sullivan? I'm pretty sure they haven't. They have not tended to venture into opera anyway, apart from a couple of noble exceptions like The Bride of Dionysus and The Queen of Cornwall. Is the Macbeth/Tempest disc going to be Dutton?

Yes, the incidental music will be Dutton. They already have a significant Sullivan disc in their catalogue ...

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDLX7310

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: