The Art-Music Forum
November 29, 2021, 06:34:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

LARS-ERIK LARSSON : Orchestral Works, Vol. 2 - Symphony No. 2, Op. 17

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LARS-ERIK LARSSON : Orchestral Works, Vol. 2 - Symphony No. 2, Op. 17  (Read 149 times)
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 66

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:43:38 am »

Glad to see Volume 2 finally released from CPO  (also available from Recordsinternational.com)

LARS-ERIK LARSSON (1908-1986): Orchestral Works, Vol. 2 - Symphony No. 2, Op. 17, Variations for Orchestra, Op. 50, Barococo, Op. 64.

Catalogue Number: 11R001

Label: CPO

Reference: 777 672-2

Format: SACD hybrid

Price: $15.98
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:40 pm »

This will certainly be must buy for me but those who know the Symphony No.2 from the somewhat aged BIS recording need to be aware that all three of Larsson's symphonies are relatively early works. His idiom developed and the Variations for Orchestra of 1962 are serial.

I hope that when CPO release the Symphony No.3 (1945) they couple it with either the Cello Concerto (1947) or the later Three Pieces for Orchestra (1960) and 'Due Auguri" (1971).

Added: Oh. Cancel that last sentence. I see that they have indeed coupled the Symphony No,3 with the Three Pieces but have added the Adagio for String Orchestra (a 5 minute work also from 1960 which Naxos has previously recorded) and Musica Permutatio (an 8 minute work from 1980 and the composer's last orchestral piece).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: