The Art-Music Forum
January 21, 2022, 07:13:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Matthijs Vermeulen

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthijs Vermeulen  (Read 490 times)
creative
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:34:15 pm »

[/b
Looking for some music of Vermeulen.  I cannot locate any in downloads...

Robert
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 50

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:44:16 pm »

[/b
Looking for some music of Vermeulen.  I cannot locate any in downloads...

Robert
He is a splendid highly original composer. I have the original Donemus CDs which are discontinued but Chandos has released some newer renderings.

The contrast between the extremely lush romanticism of number 1 and the dark dour sound world of number 2 is one of the most striking in all of classical music.

You can hear all 7 of them here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=vermeulen+symphony&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ei=naOUVJKLKpegyATC5YKwAw&ved=0CAYQ_AU4Cg

You can also browse thru the fabulous Donemus CDs for a listen here, those with a speaker icon are on-line:
http://www.concertzender.nl/en/?s=donemus

Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:51:16 pm »

Thanks Roger..

For many years I have owned the Olympia discs "400 Years of Dutch Music." On one disc is his Symphony Four. This piece has always intrigued me.  Unfortunately I never have been able to find music of his music.  It is extremely expensive. For many years I have visited this site.  I finally joined a few weeks ago.  The Download section is extremely appealing to me.  Thank you again for the links.  We shall chat again when I digest this music..

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 01:40:58 am »

Thanks Roger..

For many years I have owned the Olympia discs "400 Years of Dutch Music." On one disc is his Symphony Four. This piece has always intrigued me.  Unfortunately I never have been able to find music of his music.  It is extremely expensive. For many years I have visited this site.  I finally joined a few weeks ago.  The Download section is extremely appealing to me.  Thank you again for the links.  We shall chat again when I digest this music..

Robert
I think there has been a rebirth of interest in this highly unique voice and it is long overdue..His "Flying Dutchman" is also a very captivating piece.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:20:08 am »

I actually have some Vermuelen on LP from way back ...
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 06:40:19 pm »

impressive, also the fact that you are that intuitive.... Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:33:08 pm »

Donemus gave us the "Comlete Matthijs Vermeulen Edition" and from this series  I regurlarly have them one on my cd player. I very much like his 6th symphony which he wrote for his wife. The Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, under Lucas Vis played it for a broadcast in 1984 on Dutch Radio, and this is the version Donemus took for their production. The subtitle of the work 'Les Minutes Heureuses' (Those Happy Minutes) is exactly what the symphony shows, IMHO.
The symphony was premiered in 1959 (with the Utrecht SO, under Paul Hupperts) and repeted in 1960 in Amsterdam (Concertgebouw Orch, again with Hupperts at the desk). The 3td performance, also in 1960, was at the Festival ISCM, with Ernest Bour conducting.
It was his first composition after a long period of silence (since his 5th from 1945).

In my country Matthijs Vermeulen was known as a sharp critical writer on music and music establishment. Possibly, this did not make him the important composer he should have been then.

Btw, the complete dedication for this symphonie is: 'Pour l'anniversaire de Thea, ma chère épouse, à qui cette symphonie doit son existence et sa bonne lumière' How could he have explainbed the love for his wife better?

Report Spam   Logged
Patrick Murtha
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 09:50:56 pm »

I think very highly of Vermeulen, and first listened to all seven of the symphonies on YouTube.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:03:30 am »

BTW: Here is the Veremuelen Passacaglia and Cortege From "The Flying Dutchman".
DO NOT MISS THIS..
I get cold chills every time I hear it...one of very favorite pieces in all of classical music.
reposted here:

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4331.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:18:17 am »

BTW: Here is the Veremuelen Passacaglia and Cortege From "The Flying Dutchman".
DO NOT MISS THIS..
I get cold chills every time I hear it...one of very favorite pieces in all of classical music.
reposted here:

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4331.0.html
I think this article describes this intriguing composer best..(Not intended to indulge in the current popular pastime of impaleing conservatives:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthijs_Vermeulen
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 07:32:22 pm »

Roger

What is amazing to me is the fact that I have been listening to this music for 40 years, and still have plenty to learn and hear,  Thanks again for opening my ears to a new experience....
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 08:55:16 am »

Roger

What is amazing to me is the fact that I have been listening to this music for 40 years, and still have plenty to learn and hear,  Thanks again for opening my ears to a new experience....
Happy to do it...
Be sure to catch the radical change from Veremuelen Symphony 1 to symphony 2..The 1st and 4th are my favorites but it is hard to pick one.
another of my very favorite composers is Miaskovsky, start with no 1, only 26 to follow on a magical journey..
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 06:23:41 pm »

Roger

I have all 26 of his Symphonies......plus his string quartets, cello and piano sonatas....all on Olympia. Same with Vainberg.....
Report Spam   Logged
creative
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 06:38:38 pm »

Roger,

I did notice the change from symphony 1 to 2, but I found the same with 6.  1 and 6 have much less dissonance than all the others.........

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 10:53:02 pm »

Roger

I have all 26 of his Symphonies......plus his string quartets, cello and piano sonatas....all on Olympia. Same with Vainberg.....
I am too have the Vainberg Olympia symphonies but it lacked some of Vainberg's (Weinberg's) set of  20 (excluding the 3 chamber symphonies). Some have also been released on Chandos but IMHO the original Olympia renderings are richer in mood.
I purchased the wonderful Svetlanov-Miaskovsky symphonic cycle and 27 are included, the 27th farewell is one not to be missed. Glad you woke me up to this,I must listen again!!
Here is a comment from utube:
Well, it has great thematic material--very distinct, striking themes. It is masterful formally (expected of Myaskovsky, of course)--note, for example, the transition from the second to the third movement--nice! It has a very nice balance of (relative) harmonic modernity with conservative emotional content. It clearly belongs to the great Russian symphonic tradition (bow to Tchaikovsky in the finale). And yet it is virtually unknown. I'd say, a sleeper! IMNSHO. Sleeper of the Century!
see
http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4337.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: