The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2021, 04:09:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Remarkable Symphonies by REALLY Lesser-Known Composers

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remarkable Symphonies by REALLY Lesser-Known Composers  (Read 6876 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 50

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2013, 09:03:30 am »

I know I may sometimes be guilty of hyperbole, but I tonite I think I may
have heard an unsung masterpiece..I found this symphony to be simply overwhelming.
I don't know how else to express this..
I will accept contrarian opinions, I would certainly welcome ANY feedback.

Kolodub,Levko (1930 ) - Symphony No. 9 Sensilis moderno   
Levko Kolodub?(most likely with) The Ukrainian Radio Symphony Orchestra
http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/25939
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2013, 03:39:29 pm »

have heard an unsung masterpiece..I found this symphony to be simply overwhelming.

Your previous posts about Kolodub seem to have mysteriously disappeared from the site Roll Eyes Huh

That means that the links to the other Kolodub symphonies have gone too. I have downloaded Symphony No.9 on your recommendation.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2013, 01:18:57 am »

Very sorry about that..technical gliches of my own making, I'm afraid.
This symphony is quite dissonant, No. 10 (and 11) are much less so and are certainly worth a spin, as is Kolodub's fine french horn concerto.
all are here:  Click on the player to hear and adjust, delays are frequent only when repeated downloads are attempted.
http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Kolodub/8079

Your previous posts about Kolodub seem to have mysteriously disappeared from the site Roll Eyes Huh

That means that the links to the other Kolodub symphonies have gone too. I have downloaded Symphony No.9 on your recommendation.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:42 am »

So far I have downloaded Symphony No.3 "In the Ukrainian Baroque Style", Symphony No.4 "Chernobylskaya" and Symphony No.9 "Sensilis moderno" Smiley

The Symphony No.4 is impressing me very much. A sad lament but most effective.

Thank you very much for your recommendations Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 66

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2013, 02:52:40 am »

wonderful   .. by the way, I finally sent him $20 via paypal.... after downloading a bunch, I figured why not. Also, it allows you to download and upload to his site without delay.
Very sorry about that..technical gliches of my own making, I'm afraid.
This symphony is quite dissonant, No. 10 (and 11) are much less so and are certainly worth a spin, as is Kolodub's fine french horn concerto.
all are here:  Click on the player to hear and adjust, delays are frequent only when repeated downloads are attempted.
http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Kolodub/8079

Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2013, 03:03:25 am »

wonderful   .. by the way, I finally sent him $20 via paypal.... after downloading a bunch, I figured why not. Also, it allows you to download and upload to his site without delay.   Kolodub  kinda reminds me of the old Mission Impossible sound tracks from 1967-68 when they went into Yugoslavia or Czechoslovakia to sneek out some political figure from the iron curtain....  just sayin'....
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2013, 03:28:02 am »

So far I have downloaded Symphony No.3 "In the Ukrainian Baroque Style", Symphony No.4 "Chernobylskaya" and Symphony No.9 "Sensilis moderno" Smiley

The Symphony No.4 is impressing me very much. A sad lament but most effective.

Thank you very much for your recommendations Smiley

Thanks a bunch or listening..I think no 4 echoes Vasks Symphonia Dolorosa to some degree and 3 somewhat mimics Schnittke at his most bizarre..very good music indeed but IMHO not his best and 3 is not the best audio..I had to play with that one.
Re the Kolodub 4th, I think it was Symphony 20 by Karamanov that was played repeatedly in Russia as a Requiem for Chernoble, but the Kolodub 4th fell by the wayside. The Karamanov is available commercially but I can only find a few of the Kolodub works at YouTube and not anywhere else but at CMOL.net.
Kolodub's later symphonies, are to my mind, more impressive..9,10,11 not to be missed.

[Modified because of error in the Youtube link. Try again? - admin]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:17:06 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2013, 07:30:12 am »

Thanks for the steer - have just been listening to Kolodub's first, which is a fine work; I have no idea why it is subtitled "Academic".
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 05:56:19 am »

Thanks for the steer - have just been listening to Kolodub's first, which is a fine work; I have no idea why it is subtitled "Academic".
Happy that you are listening to Kolodub, who deserves the sunlight..The first symphony is probably the most conventional and accessable of his symphonies. It was dedicated to his mom, perhaps for mentoring him when he was studying at the "Academy" is my guess.The 3rd is grotesque Schnittke-like and the 4th is a lament, 5 is jagged,driven with extrems of mood, 10(my favorite) somewaht lyrical with magical dissonant interludes as is 11(a close 2nd) and a bit mysterious....each one seems to have a different "personality".
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »

wonderful   .. by the way, I finally sent him $20 via paypal.... after downloading a bunch, I figured why not. Also, it allows you to download and upload to his site without delay.   Kolodub  kinda reminds me of the old Mission Impossible sound tracks from 1967-68 when they went into Yugoslavia or Czechoslovakia to sneek out some political figure from the iron curtain....  just sayin'....
Ah, someone who's actually responded to the 'send me money for access' notice. Tell me, was it reasonably easy, and has it worked as you'd wish - keep saying I will, but....!?
Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2013, 05:49:05 pm »

dbhubbard - On an unrelated item(I'll be brief), I know you are proactive in seeking composers works and I recently had an issue with symphonic essays
by Roy Harris located here and whether they were mislabeled and were actually Samuel Barber's Essays.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/composer/Harris/2837

It sounded like Harris, and I stumbled across the answer (yes they are Harris) at this great site and thought you might have a strong interest in it since..please browse it
if not and please also check the reference sites and the listening links for some rarities

http://www.pytheasmusic.org/composers.html

Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2013, 10:00:38 pm »

Re: classical-music-online.net 

yes it was easy... I sent him a note (think his name was Boris) that I wanted to send him some USD $$  via paypal and he responded with his email account.  I've downloaded a ton from his site and I thought I would throw him 20 bucks...it unlocks the site so you can download without interruption with only a 5 second delay between downloads.. and also you can upload onto his site.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »

I've sent money too, after inquiries with other music collectors. I was informed that it was a safe address.
I've been able to download a number of files. But it didn't work always.

The money spent was worthwile though.

When I had trouble with downloads I asked the man how to correct this. And... I got an answer that really solved the problem.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 12:15:50 am »

Vandermolen,over at the GMG,has brought our attention to the fact that Melodiya are releasing the Mravinsky recordings of the Salmanov symphonies on cd.
Good! Smiley Not that I have heard them yet,I'm afraid! Embarrassed Grin It's great that they seem to be getting to the less well known composers (at least,over here!).
Some people might know about this already! I didn't! Huh Grin I see it's already on sale at Amazon uk!
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 12:26:03 am »

In case anyone doesn't have it, I heartily recommend the Marco Polo recording of Arthur Benjamin's Symphony. I've gotten past the "count the influences" phase and am increasingly impressed with the depth and passion and originality of its music. The Brisbane string section is stretched a bit thin by the score's demands, but until a second recording from a bigger ensemble comes along, this one will do very well.

Also very old news, but I also heartily recommend Symphony 2 by Colin McPhee.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: