The Art-Music Forum
December 04, 2021, 11:51:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 65951 times)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3240 on: November 25, 2021, 12:09:11 pm »

Yes I thought the same....   The 7th symphony is wonderful along with the 2nd and 5th

Yes. And the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: November 25, 2021, 05:31:27 pm »

opera libretto                                                                                                   page turner

I love these Lortzing operas (or singspiel's,if you like!). Apparently,like Vaughan Williams (so they say) Lortzing's operas 'don't travel'! More's the pity! I acquired this particular recording recently for about a fiver! (It has been reissued recently in a slimline jewel case). I was unfamiliar with some of the singers on this recording,but they're are all very good;and Hermann Prey's "fruity" ,and VERY manly,baritone can be a little overpowering,at times,on those older recordings (on emi and Acanta). For some reason I always think of zimmer frames when I see the name of this opera! It is Czar and the Carpenter,though! Not Czar and the Zimmerframe! The libretto is in German. Although I can't say that bother's me!! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: November 25, 2021, 08:34:03 pm »

Bloody Nora! "I'll try and squeeze another one out", "Madam, your dumplings are boiling over" and "Can I audition for Magnum P.I."...

Roll Eyes

...the CD covers that taste forgot.

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: November 25, 2021, 09:26:44 pm »

Another glorious operatic score from the Czech master! This is chock full of great tunes and rousing ensembles. Everyone has great voices and sound like they're having a great time. You start wishing you lived in a town like that. There is a lovely children's chorus,but I haven't got to that yet! The cover in the photo is the Lp set,which I owned when I was a youngster. Supraphon don't seem to have cottoned on the fact that we record,and latterly,cd collector's like 'original artwork'! Still,the new cover is nice enough,there's a libretto and it's the music that matters,innit?!!

Yeah,I do serve up the goods don't I?! Grin And so (Ahem!) is the lady in the photo! Or should I call 'err a buxom wench?! The fellow in the wig giving an approving wink! "And,I'm afraidTom Selleck's got the part,but good try!! Roll Eyes Grin Luckily for them,me (and emi!) they are good singers!! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: November 25, 2021, 10:58:58 pm »

Yeah,I do serve up the goods don't I?!

Aye, that ye do, and bless ye for it! I love dubious LP/CD covers (as reprobate ejectees from UC may remember) and it seems that there are still rich pickings to be had.

Wink

Hmmm, perhaps a trifle careless...

...nevermind, it's better than the mother-in-law popping round for favourite hymns on the harmonium...

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: November 26, 2021, 01:31:39 am »

Another lovely,tuneful Lortzing opera (or singspiel! Roll Eyes) that doesn't travel,for some reason! The opera opens with an anvil chorus! Lortzing got there first,with that one! It makes a fun opener! A vintage cast (I'm referring to the soloist's not the stuff they're beating out on those anvils,by the way!) Hermann Prey sounding very manly,as usual! The photo on the front is better than the last example! Although,I'd keep an eye out for a werewolf if I were them?!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: November 26, 2021, 07:15:35 am »

I'd keep an eye out for a werewolf if I were them?!!

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: November 27, 2021, 12:48:03 pm »

There's a darkly,dramatic quality to this music and lyricism that I do find very appealing and strangely compelling! As a youngster I would have loved the supernatural storyline with the gnome and his underground kingdom. The feeling of some invisible,intangible world beyond our own. The Germanic romanticism of dark forest's,castles and cheery,hard working peasants. Unfortunately,there wouldn't have been much Marschner around at the time. Maybe,if I was very lucky I made have caught a BBC broadcast. But,I don't recall one!
This performance is a pretty good one. Thomas Mohr is very good as the love sick gnome. Indeed,as one critic suggested,he does sound a bit like Dietrich Fischer Dieskau. The women are very good,too;as are the chorus. It's also one of Marco Polo's best sounding recordings. Not being one of those sing-a-long operas with catchy tunes you do need a libretto,to dip into,now and again. I suppose it's what you might term 'through composed'. (I just looked it up! It is!) Marschner is supposed to have had some influence on the young Wagner. It's a pity the dialogue was not included. An opera like this isn't like an operetta or singspiel. Lacking recitative,removing the dialogue from a work of this kind does impair the flow. It's like jump cuts. It should have been retained. But no matter! Marschner also seems to have been a talented orchestrator. The Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra perform very well under their conductor and there are some rousing,folksy choruses that remind one of Weber. What a shame emi didn't record this opera during their golden era. I prefer this to the live broadcast recording,which is available,on the Opera D'Oro label,even if it has Hermann Prey in the lead role,and dialogue. The clumping and shuffling noises are a distraction. I suppose it's useful to have a copy. Although,the last time I looked for one,you'd think,from the prices Sellers were asking,that Hermann Prey,himself,had signed them!!
"
Verdict! Dracula,Frankenstein & the Werewolf say "Yo,Marschner! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: November 28, 2021, 12:11:20 am »

Wow! What a find this was for Cpo and the performer's here! Shocked Smiley One thing's for sure! There's definitely more to Otto Nicolai than just Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor! You don't need to read the english libretto,which Cpo,very nicely,provided,to enjoy this glorious lyrical and tuneful opera. It really is a find,and the mind boggles that it was neglected for so long! Although Nicolai enjoyed great success with his 'Italian operas' back then (of which this is one). The cast are all pretty good,to my ears. In fact,I was a little surprised at the Musicweb review. You're just not going to get one of those old big label studio style recordings these days! Anyway,they all sound pretty good to me. As are the magnificent chorus and orchestra,which is,thanfully,well up to Nicolai's,always,imaginative orchestration. There really is allot of quality inspiration on display here. Classics Today describes this as a "terrific find" and it is! And "in a more than passable performance"! Quite! Stop nit-picking MusicWeb! A wonderful score! It really is a joy to listen to!! Forget the libretto! Although,maybe have the occasional peek?! Just enjoy this imaginative and varied score! And the photo on the front really is quite eye catching,in the right kind of way,thank g*d! Roll Eyes Grin Incidentally,the libretto by Girolamo Maria Marini is based on Ivanhoe by Walter Scott! I'm going to have to hear Arthur Sullivan's Ivanhoe now aren't I?!! Grin

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: November 29, 2021, 12:01:45 am »

Wow and double (triple?!) wow! Shocked Smiley Das Land Ohne Musik! You've got to be joking!! Shocked Smiley

We had our own Der Freischütz!! Shocked Okay,maybe not quite on the same level of that masterpiece,but still a fine opera and a real find! It's well performed here! But just imagine it with one of those golden age big label studio casts?!! Shocked And I hate these comparisons,anyway! This is a find! And just think what else might be out there;not to mention more Edward J Loder! It also helps that I thoroughly enjoyed reading Mathew Lewis' lurid gothic novel (The Monk) when I was a youngster;and I'm a sucker for operas with plots like this. (Der Freischütz has to have one of the most fun plots of any operatic masterpiece ever!) Some of the dialogue does make you smile (or even laugh out loud?) but in a good way! And I'm glad they left it in;unlike that Marschner recording I listened to earlier! No need for the libretto,either. The rather stern chap Grin at the "other forum" didn't like the tenor (Mark Milhofer)! I agree he's got a funny sort of voice;but he's pretty good,and Nicolai Gedda is sadly unavailable! Grin (A great singer,by the way! RIP!)

More Edward J Loder,please!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: November 29, 2021, 12:31:11 am »

Merry Xmas and Good Elf to all! Smiley

Pfitzner's Das Christ-Elflein (The Christmas Elf!)

Yes,I know,Pfitzner sounds an unpleasant character and all that "should I listen to his music?" argument! But,this 2 cd set was on sale on ebay for just under a fiver!! It has one of my favourite singers,Helen Donath,in the cast,and the reviews online were good and what with comparisons with Hansel & Gretel and the Eichorn recording (RCA/BMG) where she is paired with another favourite,Anna Moffo,how could I resist?!! Okay,maybe I should have? But it's s/h and Pfitzner is long dead! As it turned out,it is a genuine surprise! A real charmer! Who would think a miserable sod like Pfitzner would come out with something like this? If you like Hansel and Gretel it's in a similar vein. There really is some beautiful,enchanting,even ravishingly beautiful music here! This 1979 radio broadcast recording has a fine,vintage cast! There is a much newer recording on Cpo;but I can't afford it and it doesn't have Helen Donath! There is a narrator,at certain points,which might annoy some people;but it doesn't bother me!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: November 30, 2021, 12:51:05 am »

This Lp set,from my local library,was my introduction to this opera. I'm playing the cd reissue. An ancient old recording with a fine,vintage cast. Although,the standout is (I quote the Gramophone review) "the superbly black Kaspar of Kurt Boehme who booms his couplets with glittering menace"! 
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: November 30, 2021, 08:27:08 am »

This Lp set,from my local library,was my introduction to this opera. I'm playing the cd reissue. An ancient old recording with a fine,vintage cast. Although,the standout is (I quote the Gramophone review) "the superbly black Kaspar of Kurt Boehme who booms his couplets with glittering menace"! 

Mine too. It's still on my shelf (alongside two or three more modern versions in more modern formats!) but I still think it's a cracking interpretation.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: November 30, 2021, 09:14:52 pm »

Julius Benedict: The Lily of Killarney

Various soloists

BBC NORTHERN SINGERS
Chorus-Master, Stephen Wilkinson
BBC NORTHERN SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
Leader, Reginald Stead
Conducted By: Stanford Robinson

Produced By: Ernest Warburton
Broadcast on July 18. 1968

Well,this is nice,too! Lovely,lyrical music!  Nothing,terribly deep,I suppose? But what not to like? Personally,I'd rather listen to this than Madam Butterfly,any day! Roll Eyes Grin RRE released this on 2 Lp's once. It's from a BBC Radio broadcast. It is 'Mildly' abridged,apparently & there's a narrator,at certain ponts. But it just adds that nostalgia element of Radio before it all got all dumbed down! (No Petroc Trelawny or Katie Derham!) They should release a new complete,professional performance on cd. The only soloist's I recognise in the list are Alfreda Hodgson and John Mitchinson. But they're all pretty good. Lovely! Lovely! Lovely! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: November 30, 2021, 11:10:02 pm »

Mine too. It's still on my shelf (alongside two or three more modern versions in more modern formats!) but I still think it's a cracking interpretation.
Yes,the Gramophone review describes it as a "raucous old recording" (They like it!). I rather think the sound quality in the wolf's Glen,somehow,adds to the intensity of the performance. A cracking performance,indeed! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: