The Art-Music Forum
October 23, 2021, 06:32:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 211   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 64614 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: October 11, 2021, 03:31:42 pm »

Avid 2 cd set! I remember my late mother liked Peggy Lee! Old blue eyes,himself,conducting one album. Peggy Lee was so cool! Top notch musicianship & orchestrations. Better than the rubbish now,as they say! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: October 11, 2021, 06:50:57 pm »

It is astounding to think that Scott penned his impressive Symphony No.1 in 1899 aged 20 and then lived for another 71 years. Might have had something to do with his 1956 publication Constipation and Commonsense...

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: October 12, 2021, 07:53:12 pm »

Come on Cyril,say "cheese!" Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: October 13, 2021, 09:11:42 am »

Come on Cyril,say "cheese!" Roll Eyes

Yep, no wonder that he was a close friend of Holbrooke...

Wink

...although in Scott's case I can't recall a single photo where he cracks a smile. Too intense, or perhaps it was the constipation.

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: October 13, 2021, 10:00:41 am »

Avid 2 cd set! I remember my late mother liked Peggy Lee! Old blue eyes,himself,conducting one album. Peggy Lee was so cool! Top notch musicianship & orchestrations. Better than the rubbish now,as they say! Roll Eyes Grin

I really do admire the breadth of your tastes: Bessie Smith, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Ma Rainey and now this (in addition to the range of your classical proclivities, of course). As someone of that era, I like Simon & Garfunkel too. (Shhh! Don't tell anybody Lips sealed)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: October 13, 2021, 10:26:02 am »

Not top-drawer Sullivan, but both of these early cantatas contain lots of attractive music, very well-performed by semi-professional forces under the great Richard Bonynge.

Smiley

What a pity that the splendid performance of On Shore and Sea given by Richard Hickox in Nottingham (1988), which I had the great fortune to attend, was neither recorded nor broadcast...

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: October 13, 2021, 11:48:25 am »

Now on to two wonderful discs of Howard Ferguson...

and

Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: October 13, 2021, 04:13:01 pm »

Huge problems with this disc of Foulds' Three Mantras, Lyra Celtica, Apotheosis and Mirage...

...both my original and a just-bought s/h replacement have succumbed to distortion.

BAH!!!

Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: October 13, 2021, 06:29:51 pm »

Now the office is closed for the day, we're listenenig to the RVW 4th Symphony from this set. My word, Sir Colin still had some fire in his belly in 2008 when he recorded it.It's blazing yet refined; I don't know of a better version.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: October 13, 2021, 11:24:40 pm »

Symphony No 1 & his American Rhapsody just finished,now this blockbuster! Although,I only have the cd's. I just saved them from a bin bag! Roll Eyes Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: October 13, 2021, 11:43:20 pm »

Dohnányi:Symphony No 2  A particularly spectacular freeze,while I was in the bathroom,"otherwise engaged"! Shocked Roll Eyes (I'm using those Sennheiser wireless headphones). After good wipe ( The cd! Please!!! Shocked Roll Eyes Grin)  & I'm hoping it will play this time! Sad
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: October 14, 2021, 01:12:03 am »

Hard not to think of Michelle & co in 'Allo 'Allo!,while watching the old 70's BBC show,Secret Army,on Talking Pictures! Grin

Allo' 'Allo!                                                                                                      Secret Army

Quite good,really! I do miss Edith's singing,though! But,you get the thump,thump on the ceiling!!

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: October 14, 2021, 01:32:35 pm »

Accord 2 cd set.This operetta by Henri Berté (1858-1924) was recorded in Paris in 1962. You'll know some of the tunes,even if you think you've never heard of it,because they're by Franz Schubert. It was a big hit,at the time. In New York it opened under the name Blossom Time. In London it was known as Lilac Time! The operetta revolves around romantic & personal occurences in the life of Schubert. As with most of these old French recordings made in the 50's and 60's,the singing & musical standards are superb! There are a few cuts,but there usually are in,supposedly,'complete' operetta recordings. There is some dialogue;but as per usual,with these sets,the standard is higher than usual. (They really do act the parts,as opposed to a,"let's get the dialogue over",read through!) The recording is in excellent stereo & I finally got this delightful operetta & recording at an affordable price!! Roll Eyes Grin Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: October 14, 2021, 06:31:23 pm »

Avid 2 cd set! Another singer I've always liked! She's on top form here! I had a compliation Lp,when I was young & I used to play it full blast in my bedsit! I wonder what the neighbour's thought of my taste in music? Havergal Brian's Gothic led to a few boots being thrown at my door! I don't know why? None of them fitted me & do I look like I've got two left feet?!! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: October 15, 2021, 05:47:55 pm »

Lena Horne & Havergal Brian! A potent combination!! Shocked Grin

I do enjoy The Beggars Opera,when I listen to it! I like all the recordings I've heard. I even enjoyed the Bonynge recording with;I better not quote him (! Shocked) Alf Garnett (AKA Warren Mitchell) & Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury). The only one I haven't enjoyed is the Chandos recording,which is well sung,but seems totally devoid of atmosphere or fun! I got it for a fiver & I found it,quite,incredibly dull! Sad Bonynge turned it into a,sort of,Broadway musical,but at least,it's good fun! The Steuart Bedford recording on Argo,using Britten's orchestration's,is very good. The 1948 live broadcast,on a deleted Pearl cd,conducted by Britten,caught on acetates,is well worth a listen,despite the terrible sound quality and the bits of dialogue,that had to be left out (and you thought cassette players were a pain!). The Malcolm Sargent recording,arranged by Frederic Austin has Monica Sinclair,Elsie Morrison,Ian Wallace and Owen Brannigan. With a cast like that you can't really go wrong! I haven't heard the Richard Austin recording,made for the old Argo label. It doesn't seem to have been released on cd,but it is on Youtube. I am going to have to listen to it! The cast looks promising & Argo recording's were usually good! (A job for Decca Eloquence,perhaps?) This recording has "Itch good to tawk" Bob Hoskins as The Beggar and,according,to one review I saw,some "annoying cockney accents"! Shocked Grin I received this s/h set today and this is my first listen!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 211   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: