The Art-Music Forum
October 18, 2021, 12:27:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 209   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 64352 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: July 31, 2021, 01:30:25 am »

Cyril Scott: Complete Piano Sonatas    /Leslie D'eath            Dutton

Not everyone warms to his music;but I like some of Scott's music. Particularly his chamber & instrumental music. I think he was at his best when he was composing for smaller forces. I find some of his Piano music a very interesting,intriguing and often fascinating,listening experience. Late at night it can even seem quite hypnotic in effect! Often influenced by exotic subject's. There are French & Russian influences;but it also sounds very english & like Cyril Scott,really!! I think his piano music is an important contribution to British music of the period,and I think it's,frankly,shocking and a bit of a disgrace that it was neglected so long! Other's may (will,no doubt!) disagree! I have every volume of Dutton's survey,'The Complete Piano Music'. And what a great name! Leslie D'eath! Why I can't I have a surname like that? Dafydd D'eath! (Actually,that sounds daft!! Roll Eyes Grin)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: July 31, 2021, 01:59:58 am »

Ooooh, yer big girl's blouse!

We would like to apologise for the loss of thread. Normal posting will be resumed as soon as possiblel!
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: July 31, 2021, 07:17:30 am »

Good idea, but please don't stop with the British slang phrases, they are so much fun for this 'murrican'. But, threadly, I have been listening to music of Armenian composers I find on YouTube and also getting back to listening to the CDs I got from Tiroler Landesmuseum of orchestral works by classical and Romantic composers from the Tyrol, fun. I can definitely recommend Pembauer and Senn.
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: July 31, 2021, 08:54:19 am »

Ooooh, yer big girl's blouse!

We would like to apologise for the loss of thread. Normal posting will be resumed as soon as possiblel!

Ah, the rescuing hands of cilgwyn!
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: July 31, 2021, 09:05:31 am »

Not everyone warms to his music;but I like some of Scott's music. Particularly his chamber & instrumental music. I think he was at his best when he was composing for smaller forces. I find some of his Piano music a very interesting,intriguing and often fascinating,listening experience. Late at night it can even seem quite hypnotic in effect! Often influenced by exotic subject's. There are French & Russian influences;but it also sounds very english & like Cyril Scott,really!! I think his piano music is an important contribution to British music of the period,and I think it's,frankly,shocking and a bit of a disgrace that it was neglected so long! Other's may (will,no doubt!) disagree! I have every volume of Dutton's survey,'The Complete Piano Music'. And what a great name! Leslie D'eath! Why I can't I have a surname like that? Dafydd D'eath! (Actually,that sounds daft!! Roll Eyes Grin)

I agree with all you say about Cyril Scott. It is a disgrace that he was neglected for so long but his re-emergence as a significant voice seems to have come in fits and starts. I wonder if it is because of the variety of French, Russian and exotic influences that you refer to: on limited hearings, he may seem too eclectic for his own good. I first became acquainted with him as a young teenager when my progressive piano teacher gave me the Three Little Waltzes op 58 to learn and he has been a companion ever since (Scott, that is, not my piano teacher  Cheesy).
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: July 31, 2021, 09:18:01 am »

I agree with all you say about Cyril Scott. It is a disgrace that he was neglected for so long but his re-emergence as a significant voice seems to have come in fits and starts.

My favourite discs of Scott are the four volumes of orchestral/ concertante works on Chandos - beautiful cover images too!

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 01, 2021, 05:10:52 am »

I am listening to orchestral music by Robin Walker of whom I had never heard before and was happy with the almost overblown-ness of his music, I hope I shall find more to hear in the future.https://www.robinwalker.org/
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 01, 2021, 06:28:35 pm »

I agree with all you say about Cyril Scott. It is a disgrace that he was neglected for so long but his re-emergence as a significant voice seems to have come in fits and starts. I wonder if it is because of the variety of French, Russian and exotic influences that you refer to: on limited hearings, he may seem too eclectic for his own good. I first became acquainted with him as a young teenager when my progressive piano teacher gave me the Three Little Waltzes op 58 to learn and he has been a companion ever since (Scott, that is, not my piano teacher  Cheesy).
I have been listening through every volume of the Dutton survey of his piano music and I find it all quite fascinating! I think it is a major contribution to British piano music of the period. At times it has an almost hypnotic,mesmerising quality to it. And yes,maybe he was a little too eclectic for his own good;but it's the French and Russian influences,and exotic inspiration (Kipling's Jungle Book,Egypt,et al) that make it so fascinating! At times,as in the Theme and Variations he is,technically,quite brilliant! The Wow factor really came in here! Yes,it is a disgrace,Lionel,that music of this importance,has been neglected for so long. This survey was worth the wait though! Leslie D'eath and Dutton did a magnificent job! (It's also great to hear Cyril Scott's own recordings,which Dutton,thoughtfully,included).
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: August 01, 2021, 06:58:04 pm »

I have been listening through every volume of the Dutton survey of his piano music and I find it all quite fascinating! I think it is a major contribution to British piano music of the period. At times it has an almost hypnotic,mesmerising quality to it. And yes,maybe he was a little too eclectic for his own good;but it's the French and Russian influences,and exotic inspiration (Kipling's Jungle Book,Egypt,et al) that make it so fascinating! At times,as in the Theme and Variations he is,technically,quite brilliant! The Wow factor really came in here! Yes,it is a disgrace,Lionel,that music of this importance,has been neglected for so long. This survey was worth the wait though! Leslie D'eath and Dutton did a magnificent job! (It's also great to hear Cyril Scott's own recordings,which Dutton,thoughtfully,included).

I'm glad you've had such a rewarding experience, cilgwyn, listening to all this. It's splendid that so much of Scott's music in all genres is now available in first-class recordings. However, I bet that if and when we get back to staging regular concerts and recitals, precious little of it will turn up on programmes.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: August 01, 2021, 07:05:58 pm »

One of the two largest cathedral organs in Europe: amongst other pieces, Boëllmann's Suite gothique, Franck's Prélude, Fugue et Variation,  Mendelssohn's Sonata No. 6 in D Minor and Reger's Introduction et passacaille in D Minor. The neighbours unceremoniously blasted out of their Sunday afternoon reveries! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 66

View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: August 02, 2021, 02:57:06 am »

its been a Brahms weekend!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 02, 2021, 08:17:40 am »

The finale of Concerto in Three Rhythms (1932) by Dana Suesse (1909-87) orchestrated by Ferde Grofé on the radio. Suesse is not a composer I've heard before - it's great stuff!

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 02, 2021, 11:54:56 am »

Sullivan's lovely Overture Di Ballo (1870) getting an outing on Radio 3! Conducted by the great Charles Mackerras, no less. Now sadly absent from concert-planning, it's a great example of thematic transformation.

Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: August 02, 2021, 12:02:34 pm »

Sullivan's lovely Overture Di Ballo (1870) getting an outing on Radio 3!

Shocked

Charlie Mackerras! None better...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 02, 2021, 12:10:46 pm »

Sullivan's lovely Overture Di Ballo (1870) getting an outing on Radio 3!

Shocked

Charlie Mackerras! None better...

Sometimes, although rarely these days, Radio 3 can surprise the unwary listener with a top-quality product!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 209   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: