The Art-Music and Linguistics Forum
July 07, 2022, 04:59:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 75113 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: January 30, 2022, 07:16:51 pm »

And before I get banned for turning this into a short wave radio enthusiast's forum! (Where's AH?!! Grin ) Some music!!!

Rossini: Il Barbiere di Siviglia Callas,Alva,Gobbi (et al)  Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus/ Galleria                 emi 2 cd's

This has got to be the best recording (despite cut's!),period! It's also the only one that has made me laugh! I'm not going to moan about Callas being on the front this time,though! It would be a little daft,anyway,seeing that it is a Maria Callas series! It is by Rossini,though,not Callas,mind,despite the tiny letter's!! Shocked Grin Lovely voice,though! Smiley

I also love shortwave ... also a ham radio operator..
It's great that someone else here shares my love of shortwave radio! I'm only a listener,but I've always been fascinated by radio & shortwave radio stations were a sort of,window on the world,before the advent of the internet. I often listen to Radio Hams at the weekend,however. Usually,on 80 meters.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 68

View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: January 31, 2022, 03:19:44 am »

And before I get banned for turning this into a short wave radio enthusiast's forum! (Where's AH?!! Grin ) Some music!!!

Rossini: Il Barbiere di Siviglia Callas,Alva,Gobbi (et al)  Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus/ Galleria                 emi 2 cd's

This has got to be the best recording (despite cut's!),period! It's also the only one that has made me laugh! I'm not going to moan about Callas being on the front this time,though! It would be a little daft,anyway,seeing that it is a Maria Callas series! It is by Rossini,though,not Callas,mind,despite the tiny letter's!! Shocked Grin Lovely voice,though! Smiley

It's great that someone else here shares my love of shortwave radio! I'm only a listener,but I've always been fascinated by radio & shortwave radio stations were a sort of,window on the world,before the advent of the internet. I often listen to Radio Hams at the weekend,however. Usually,on 80 meters.

Yes the 80 meter band is very much used by us hams... also check out the 40 meter band.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: January 31, 2022, 01:07:27 pm »

Yes the 80 meter band is very much used by us hams... also check out the 40 meter band.
Yes,I do try 40 meters,now & again! To a layman,like me (as opposed to a Ham) I find the most interesting stuff on 80 meters. You get allot of older chaps talking about non-technical stuff,like holidays,reminiscing,people they know and thing's they get up to. Stuff about aerials & propogation is also of interest. I get allot of interference where I live. I can't put up an outside aerial and wire's don't help. In fact,they often make the reception worse! I recently tried listening on a shortwave portable while out on a shopping trip & the clarity of reception and the amount I was,suddenly,able to hear was quite astonishing! I will try 40 meters a bit more this weekend!
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 68

View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: February 01, 2022, 03:00:48 am »

you might look into creating a dipole antenna and attach it to your radio... fairly inexpensive to make... google it
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: February 01, 2022, 03:13:30 am »

I find composers' birthdays infinitely more interesting than short wave radio specifications, just sayin'.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: February 01, 2022, 06:14:25 pm »

Thank's for the shortwave "dipole" suggestion,dhibbard! I am aware of the term "diole" & will look into it! I usually just attach a wire to the aerial socket;but it usually just adds noise! At present my short wave radio is right next to the bathroom window (I listen via cordless headphones) and to seem to get better reception with the set in there! (Obviously,removing it when I'm having a bath or doing laundry! No washing mashine here! Just elbow grease! Sad Grin)

Apologies jimmat! AH might,actually,come in useful sometimes!! Grin (Ayup! Back to music,please!)

Currently playing........but Cd 2 skipping,so I'll have get a refund,find another copy and it's going off,in a minute! It did manage to play the whole opera,this time,though! Smiley

Leoš Janáček:Káťa Kabanová     Elisabeth Söderström,Petr Dvorsky,Naděžda Kniplová  Wiener Philharmoniker/ Sir Charles Mackerras      Decca 2 cd's

To be honest,some of Janáček's operas are new to me! I had the Mackerras recording of The Cunning Little Vixen & the 1980 František Jílek Supraphon recording of The Excursions of Mr. Brouček to the Moon ! Then I got rid of the boxes & artwork,because I tend to enjoy operas for the music,alone. (And I'm short of room!) Generally speaking,I find opera librettos tedious to follow! I'll have a cursory look,now and again. And that's all! I tend to agree with the chap on Musicweb,who suggested that the libretto was just a kind of frame work or prop,to hang the music on! Janáček's operas are less conventionally tuneful. You're not going to find yourself warbling arias or humming waltz tunes (Der Rosenkavalier!). I kept the cd's,though! Recently,I decided to have another shot at enjoying Janáček's operas. After,listening to my set of Věc Makropulos,which I did hear a long time ago,via a Lp set,from my local library,and wondering whether I was enjoying what I was hearing,I began get "into" the music. One good thing about cordless headphones,is that if you're upstairs and you can't get to the "off" button,and it's on "repeat",you have to keep listening! Not so good if Cliff Richard comes on the radio,though! Sad (And you can take the thing's off!) Albeit,Věc Makropulos,probably,not the best place to start. There is no chorus (except,I think,a sort-of chorus,where the cast sing in unison,near the end!). The lyricism is all in the accompaniment. The plotline about a 300 year old woman,certainlyhas an odd fascination,however! Only a few years ago I read Rider Haggard's She. (Věc Makropulos is a younster by comparison! Grin) Jenůfa,the opera I'm listening to now,is more,what I might call (not being a musician) conventionally,lyrical. You can just let the sound of the voices and Janacek's orchestration wash and surge over you,as you listen! I' feel obliged to say,at this point;one great thing about these operas (which may seem a bit like a back-handed compliment?) is that they're not too long. Unlike some other composers of operas,I can think of,who shall remain nameless (at least,here!) Janáček certainly knows how and when to stop. There's,usually,even enough room on the two cd's,in the set,for a 'Fill-up' (I dislike that term,but it'll do for now!). This set ending with two fascinating pieces. Namely,the Capriccio and Concertino for Piano and Orchestra!

Apparently,some people,prefer the old Supraphon recording's,finding Mackerras' interpretation's (at least,for Decca) a tad "smooth"! In my experience,Supraphon are a very good label and rarely disappoint. So,they may be right?! Or,at least have a point! Unfortunately,apart from Jílek's Mr. Brouček,which I bought (again!) this last week (and,hopefully,in the post?) the Supraphon sets are expensive! So,another time,perhaps? Or,if I win the Lottery?!! At present,I'm quite happy with the Mackerras sets,I am,currently,listening to! Unfortunately,CD 2 of this set skips,so I'm going to have to send it back! (Cleaning hasn't helped!) Jenůfa (which I have never heard) and The Cunning little Vixen (bought new!) are lined up! (Hopefully Jenůfa won't freeze or skip!)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: February 01, 2022, 07:15:27 pm »

Delibes: Sylvia-Complete Ballet  Anatole Fistoulari / London Symphony Orchestra & Coppelia-Complete Ballet  Antal Dorati / Miinneapolis Symphony Orchestra Mercury Living Presence 3 cd's

I had this set on earlier and last night,before bed! What lovely,tuneful scores,colorful and imaginative orchestration! Packed with 'hits (ie the kind of tunes people will say,"Oh,that's where that piece of music comes from!") I love the storyline of Coppelia,with the mechanical doll! Of course,it's from the ETA Hoffmann story,The Sandman. I've got the Oxford University Press Paperback edition's of his short stories and his novel,The life and opinions of the tomcat Murr (Penguin Classics). What not to enjoy about this music?! (I couldn't get the Pizzicati from Sylvia & the Mazurka from Coppelia out of my head!) I agree with some people who regard Sylvia as the finer of the two. That said,I love them both! Smiley I must say,I preferred Antal Dorati's recording to the,much praised,Kent Nagano recording. The Mercury recording's,made in the late 50's,are amazingly good,for the period. Not that I'm surprised as a big fan of that label! And what wonderful scores! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: February 02, 2022, 02:58:36 pm »

The Voice of Turkey English language transmission on 12035 khz. Turkish music with female vocalist. Good reception with some fade! (No more technical date,Jimmat! Promise! Smiley)

Their women all seem to have good voices,unlike our popsters! The husky timbre,percussion and beats sound very sensuous and dare I say sexy! Most pop music from Eastern Europe (and further east,for that matter) sounds awful to my ears. In fact,all contemporary music is awful,imho! Although,it could be my age,of course!! The Turkish seem to have made a more successful and enjoyable fusion of East and West than other countries I have heard (or endured) when listening to overseas radio stations. I used to listen to France Inter on 162 khz Longwave,before they switched off the transmitter. (Technical data imminent! Warning! Warning! It used to blast into the UK and could be picked up,easily,on any portable radio or hi-fi,with Long Wave capability). They played a variety of music. All sort's of things! Unlike the drivel that you get to hear on our radio stations,these days! Of course,the famously,sexy french language and accent helped,somewhat! That said,some of their popular music made for a pleasant listen,when I was out and about! Another bonus! The news bulletins didn't get Mr Angry frothing at the mouth,because I couldn't understand a word!! Grin

I've always taken an interest in the cultures of other countries and,pre-internet,apart from the library,short wave was my "window" on the world! If you want to be a little englander (or Wales-er?!) that's you're prerogative;but,thankfully,never mine! Of course,there are some who might point out that such stations are merely organs for propaganda! Well,yes,they are in principle! Some more beholden to the government of the country they broadcast from,more than others. But,it is understandable that a country would wish to project a postive image of themselves as opposed to a negative one. The BBC are of course,supposed to be impartial. And,quite frankly I would be more inclined to garner my perspective on what is happening in the world around me from the BBC than,say,the Voice of Turkey,China Radio International (or whatever they call themselves,now) let alone the Voice of Korea,Pyongyang! Although,I personally don't think the BBC is without bias. In fact,I don't think it is possible to have a radio station that is totally without bias,of some kind! Even if it's just the sort of music they play! But,I would,personally,prefer listen to interesting and enjoyable music from other cultures and listen to interesting items on their history and culture,than listen to the sort of pap that gets churned out from most UK stations. As I have previously stated! I need food for my brain! Something interesting to think about! If there's a bit of propaganda,in between,via a news bulletin,so be it! As long as I am able to recognise it for what is!!

End of Sermon on the Mount!! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: February 02, 2022, 03:13:03 pm »

And back to music,lovely boy,OR ELSE!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: February 02, 2022, 04:30:23 pm »

Offenbach concoctions!

Jacques Offenbach (Arr. Manuel Rosenthal): Gaîté Parisienne & Offenbachiana         Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo / Manuel Rosenthal    Naxos

I enjoyed Ozawa's recording of excerpts from the ballet,recently! (Actually,I really only bought the cd because of the Toulouse-Lautrec on the front of the jewel case,but I did enjoy the music,subsequently!) I bought this cd of the complete ballet,only after realising,too late,that Rosenthal's emi recording (the one I bought & actually,his second of three) had been superseded by this much better recording,in which Rosenthal was able to treat the music as a symphonic poem,instead of having to adhere to the tempi of a danced performance. It also includes,Offenbachiana! Another enjoyable Rosenthal arrangement,which is,supposed to be even better! I haven't heard it,yet! (The laser hasn't got that far!)

Heartening Fact: Manuel Rosenthal was 92 years old when he made this recording! Smiley

Gaîté Parisienne:                                                                                                                        Offenbachiana:

NB: (Warning!) I may start an,uninterestingly titled,Offenbach thread!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: February 07, 2022, 01:14:07 am »

No shortwave crap this time! Grin (I didn't listen today! Lot's of inkjet printer crap,though! Roll Eyes) Just music!

Sibelius: Complete Symphonies      Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra / Paavo Berglund       Warner 4 cd's

This is an excellent cycle,isn't it? One of the best! I remember Lionel was playing it! Incidentally,I've been getting more "into" Nielsen,recently. Not that I didn't like his symphonies;but,apart from No 4,they never really "clicked" with me! I actually,preferred his fellow countryman;the ecccentric outsider,Rued Langgaard,who would be pleased,seeing that he hated Nielsen's guts! Grin Some,recently purchased cd's,seem to have done the trick for me! The Berglund set in the scanned photo is my copy! You can tell,because it's not straight!! Roll Eyes Grin

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: February 07, 2022, 01:50:08 am »

You might feel like joining in,while listening to Arnold's Four Scottish Dances?!!

An Afterr a muckle bol' o porage an' a drop o' scotch terr wet yerr wistle,yer meet jest laik ta' ha' trae a spot o' caber tossin wi' wee Willie Glock!

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: February 07, 2022, 03:11:42 pm »

This one's a real sleeper! Geddit?!! Roll Eyes Grin

Bellini: La Sonnambula   Maria Callas,Nicola Monti,Nicola Zaccaria,Eugenia Ratti,Fiorenza Cossotto Orchestra e Coro del Teatro all Scala di Milano / Antonino Votto emi 2 cd's

I really have been wondering am I really enjoying Bel Canto opera?!! Well,yes,I like Rossini's La Cenerentola,Il Barbiere di Siviglia,Le Comte Ory & L'Italiana in Algeri! I like Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore. Although,I'm thinking,is it mainly because I like just about anything anything with the enchanting,Lucia Popp?! Well,no! (Answering,myself!) It is frothy & tuneful! So,yes,I think I do?! But Lucia Popp is,definitely,a first stop for me,for that opera! And then there's,Lucia di Lammermoor,which is very tuneful,lyrical & dramatic,the thunder claps & famous "mad scene" are good gothic,fun;and,throw in the glass harmonica for the "Mad Scene" in the Beverley Sills recording (okay,maybe,not literally!) and,what not to enjoy?! Hammer Horror eat your heart out! The RCA recording has one of my favourite sopranos,ever! Anna Moffo! I also did enjoy the 1940 Met broadcast (on Naxos) of La Fille du Regiment,with Lily Pons. What a funny voice! But,for some reason,I've always loved it! Joan Sutherland & hubbie,Richard Bonynge's Decca recording,is supposed to be one of the best things that team ever did. But Sellers ask high prices;and it would have to be very good indeed to capture the fun of that live Met recording. Incidentally,if you like operetta,La Fille du Regiment is,probably,the closest Donizetti ever got to that genre.
As to the poor,short lived,Vincenzo Bellini! Norma,generally regarded as his masterpiece,is,undoubtedly,the most tuneful;and the plotline,with Druids in a forest,is quite good fun! Montserrat Caballe,in the,otherwise very good RCA recording,just can't compete with Callas,sadly! I think even someone who dislikes this genre would be moved by the sheer beauty of her voice,in that recording!  Unfortunately (at least so far) I Puritani has bored the B******* off me! The Callas emi recording,at least in the emi transfer I own,is in boxy mono,which doesn't help!!Anyway,to cut a long boring,post,thankfully short! Grin  Just when I thought I might be selling allot of Bellini on Ebay,I enjoyed the emi recording of I Capuleti e i Montecchi with Janet Baker,"Bubbles" AKA Beverley Sills (as opposed to Beverley Hills! I keep mixing them up!) and Nicolai Gedda,finding it lyrical and tuneful. Janet Baker and Gedda are a definite bonus here. Janet Baker's voice,in particular! The contribution's of the,excellent,chorus,are particularly lovely! And now,last but not least (and perhaps,hopefully!) this cd set! An opera about a sleep walker! Something I know something,about,having done it,myself,in the past! (People are always saying to me,"FOR GOD'S SAKE! WAKE UP MAN!"  Sad Grin )And now this! After expecting the worst,I find the music lovely,lyrical and tunefuL. Maria Callas sounds,absolutely,lovely;and the sound is,thankfully,in better mono,than that emi recording of I Puritani!  But then,everyone in the recording,to my ears,is top notch.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 90

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: February 07, 2022, 04:31:01 pm »

You might feel like joining in,while listening to Arnold's Four Scottish Dances?!!

There's nowt better than Malcolm Arnold's "Suites" of Dances, be they English, Scottish or Cornish. I also really enjoy the late Irish and Welsh sets, although others have disparaged these. Luckily all were safely gathered in by Andrew Penny on Naxos and have now been generously reissued with Penny's complete symphony cycle. Worra bloody genius the man was! Great symphonies, concertos up the ying-yang, ballets, films, chamber music, choral works, etc. - all unmistakeable as Arnold, and in my book that is the test of a real composer of quality.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: February 07, 2022, 10:18:36 pm »

Ooh,ouch my ears,it's Barbra! Shocked Grin

Lazy afternoon! Barbra singing her usual stuff & some disco!!                            Classical Barbra! Barbra sings Debussy,Fauré,Canteloube,Wolf,Schubert,Orff,Handel,Schumann! But no Gounod?!! Shocked Roll Eyes Grin 

Barbra Streisand:Lazy Afternoon! Actually,I hate to admit it,but I quite like some of her singing & some of the tracks on this (one of her more obscure albums). On the other hand,I can understand why my late mother once ran out of the kitchen screaming,"It's horrible!" at the succession of sustained,top notes,assaulting her ears,each one louder than the preceding one,from the lips of this prima donna! It could have been worse,though (See right!)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: