The Art-Music Forum
May 20, 2022, 06:58:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 235   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 73424 times)
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: January 22, 2022, 04:57:47 am »

As so many things have become available compared to what I could access in the beginning of my classical music addiction in the 70s I have realized that I have neglected some of my first loves. I have been listening to Martinu, Dvorak and Shostakovich and am so delighted to hear my music "roots" and, not to be too maudlin, to experience the emotions and excitement of the days of discovery. There is so much to deal with now, but through it all a good listen to Dmitri's 2nd piano concerto is amazing therapy. Now, more! I see a couple people before me have been drawn to the Czech/Slovak masters, and Janacek is on my list as well.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: January 22, 2022, 10:31:06 pm »

Bellini: Norma      Maria Callas,Franco Corelli,Christa Ludwig,Nicola Zaccaria Coro e Orchestra del Teatro alla Scakla di Milano / Tullio Serafin      emi 3 cd's

Maria Callas certainly had a lovely voice! Smiley My dry,old eyes were moistening up,at the sound of it! This is a very tuneful,lyrical opera. I quite like the story line,set in Roman occupied Gaul,with Druids and a forest!! Not that I'm paying much attention to the actual libretto!! Roll Eyes But it's useful to have it! If anyone had told me I would be listening to Bel Canto opera a few weeks ago,I'd have said,"Get-Away!" Grin

Update!: That said! I searched through the booklet for anything about Bellini himself or the actual opera! As lovely as Maria Callas' voice is,he did,actually (Ahem! Grin) compose the opera;and no Bellini no opera for Diva to sing! Oh,well! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: January 24, 2022, 11:04:13 pm »

Gounod: Faust Domingo,Freni,Ghiaurov (et al) Prętre emi 3 cd's

One of my favourite operas! Packed with colourful,imaginative scoring,fantastic tunes,great storyline! What not to like?!!
Incidentally,when I saw that box with Maria Callas I thought I was at the wrong forum for a moment! Than I realised I posted it!! I'm into Bel Canto opera?!! Shocked Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: January 26, 2022, 02:07:03 pm »

Update! This was a third choice at Musicweb! Nevertheless,I found this a rousing recording of this opera. In fact,I preferred it to their second choice (Rizzi/Teldec) which I found,good,but a tad bland! I also liked Mirella Freni as Marguerite. I'm no expert on French,anyway! (I failed it,in school!) Quite fun cover art,too!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: January 26, 2022, 02:13:06 pm »

The Voice of Turkey's English language broadcast on 12035khz! The radio signal blasting in,with a little fading,which is only to be expected,on it's journey,through thousand's of miles of atmosphere,all the way from Ankara! Some nice music and singing (the women,certainly,have good voices!) as usual! Some history now!!

The radio I'm using! The XHDATA D-909! Cost around Ł70. Forget the rubbish in the chain stores. If you want a tradition portable this as good as it get's under Ł70! (No DAB!) The technology inside this set is worth about twice as much. It's basically a rip-off of a popular American model. But because of different rules on copyright in China they can produce a model at a fraction of the cost,anywhere else! It's been called the Swiss Army knife of radios by enthusiast's! That's how good it is!! I should point out,that it's not much cop on Long Wave! This is often the case with portable radios these days! We're about the only country still using Long Wave. So if you want to listen to the cricket (I don't!) forget it!

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: January 26, 2022, 02:32:16 pm »

And,thanks to the onslaught of the internet,nothing else (in english,anyway) to listen to,now! Unless,I want to listen to some religious fanatic,in the USA,ranting about Jesus and the end-time! (I've got to admit,the Voice of Turkey would have been very low on my list,once upon a time!!) So,back to music for now!! Sad Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: January 26, 2022, 02:55:37 pm »

And before I get banned for turning this into a short wave radio enthusiast's forum! (Where's AH?!! Grin ) Some music!!!

Rossini: Il Barbiere di Siviglia Callas,Alva,Gobbi (et al)  Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus/ Galleria                 emi 2 cd's

This has got to be the best recording (despite cut's!),period! It's also the only one that has made me laugh! I'm not going to moan about Callas being on the front this time,though! It would be a little daft,anyway,seeing that it is a Maria Callas series! It is by Rossini,though,not Callas,mind,despite the tiny letter's!! Shocked Grin Lovely voice,though! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: January 26, 2022, 09:38:58 pm »

Josef Suk: Symphony in E major & Otakar Ostrčil: "Calvary" Variations for large Orchestra / Neumann Supraphon

Ooh,lovely! Smiley If you like Dvořák,in his sunny mood's,you're going to like this early symphony by Suk. It last's just over 46 minutes & it's crammed full of glorious orchestration & tunes. Not a bit like his later stuff! Quite a find,imo! Good recorded sound & playing,too! I also enjoyed the "Calvary" Variation's by Otakar Ostrčil. This large scale,half hour,work is,by comparison,sombre and a tougher listen. I find it quite impressive.

Update!: Before anyone get's too excited ( Grin) I should emphasise that,while I was impressed by this sunny,high spirited symphony and think it quite a find (lot's of good reviews on the web & not just of the performance on this recording!) he's not as good at tunes (the kind that go round in your head)  as Dvořák. That said...........
The Otakar Ostrčil is an impressive,dark hued,sombre work,interpolated by some dramatic drum thwacks ( I think? My memory! Roll Eyes) which really are quite thrilling,and startling! I'm surprised there is so little about this on the internet. I find it an impressive piece (Come on Chandos!). A great cd! Smiley Incidentally,I do like Supraphon's use of postage stamps on their cd's! I used to collect them when I was a youngster! And it's a shame that you don't see them,very often,these days! I think a colourful,well designed postage stamp liven's up a package or envelope,somewhat!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: January 27, 2022, 01:59:06 pm »

Hindemith: Pittsburgh Symphony,Symphonic Dances,Ragtime    BBC Philharmonic / Yan Pascal Tortelier     Chandos

Wow! Shocked This series (as I collect them) just get's better and better! I really was unprepared for just how impressive these pieces would turn out! The Pittsburgh Symphony and Symphonic Dances really are cracker's as far as I'm concerned. Why oh Why are they so neglected! This really is a crazy world! Great performances and sound! Albeit,there isn't allot in the way of comparison's! But I'd be surprised if there was anything better around! (Cpo did a complete Hindemith series,which I haven't heard!) And they certainly won't come anything close in terms of recording quality! I do love the artwork! (Although,the painting could have been framed more sensitively!) I must admit to being a bit of a fan of the work of Arnold Böcklin. (Can I post some here?!!)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: January 27, 2022, 02:15:24 pm »

The Voice of Turkey!

The Voice of Turkey's english language transmission blasting in on 12035 khz shortwave,after a journey through thousand's of miles of atmosphere,all the way from Ankara! Who need's the internet,eh?!! Oops! I'm posting this on it!! Grin Nice music! Bit's on history,culture,folklore,healthy eating & recipes,preceded by a short news bulletin & review of the Turkish press! Have they only got one newspaper?!!

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: January 27, 2022, 02:35:27 pm »

Static! AKA White noise! The Voice of Turkey transmission coming to an abrupt end!

Back to music! Of course,there's always China Radio International,or whatever they call themselve's,these days! Their english language transmission blast's in on 174.90 khz,from the transmitter in Kashgen province,through the morning to early afternoon. Like a rolling current affair's news service. All very professional & a world-away from the old commie bloc transmissions from Eastern Europe filled with Agricultural report's and transcript's of speeches!! Shocked Sad On the plus side,free of annoying drum beat's & jingles and pop music,every five minutes (BBC Radio 5,take note!) But,not too keen on the Regime!!! I also listen to Rte Radio One ( Ireland's state broadcaster! A sort of cross between Radio 4 and Radio 2,like it used to be!) which blast's into Wales on 252 khz,Long Wave. They keep trying to switch off the transmitter,but the elderly Irish population in the UK,kick up a fuss every time they reach for the "Off" button! (Those annoying oldies,eh! I'll be one soon!!)

So,it's back to music,then!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: January 29, 2022, 03:59:00 pm »

Edith Mason: the complete recordings (1924-28)      Romophone

The American soprano,Edith Mason 1892-1973 Born in St Louis,Missouri. A lovely voice! A very successful opera singer in her day,now largely forgotten. Unfortunately,she didn't record allot;but there's plenty to enjoy on this cd;well up to Romophone's,usual,high standard's,including some interesting photograph's. I wish I could reproduce the one of her posed,getting out of a lovely old car,all dolled up in furs,with replete with pooch on lead! One review of this cd complains that a good deal of the cd (everything she recorded is on this cd!) is taken up with rendition's of popular song's. That is unfortunate,in some ways;but I'm a sucker for olde time sopranos (and tenors! Think Tauber!) singing this kind of repertoire! And Edith Mason singing "Home Sweet Home" and kitsch,like "Take me back to dear ole Virginny" is pure gold to me;even if the latter does raise a smile! And "The Last Rose of Summer" is,just,a lovely song! Smiley

I will reduce the size of these photos as soon as I have the time!

Update: Duly,shrunk! Shocked Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: January 29, 2022, 09:46:24 pm »

Vincenzo Bellini: Norma    Montserrat Caballé,Fiorenza Cossotto,Placido Domingo,Ruggero Raimondi,et al!  LPo/ Carlo Felice Cillario    RCA 3 cd's

Comparison's aside,this is still an excellent recording (conducted with some vigour) of this very lyrical and tuneful opera. (It's regarded as Bellini's masterpiece);and I,definitely,prefer this to her jam with Freddie Mercury!! Grin

If I'm stlll alive after listening to all of this,I think I will put on some orchestral music or operetta highlights! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 68

View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: January 29, 2022, 09:51:54 pm »

And before I get banned for turning this into a short wave radio enthusiast's forum! (Where's AH?!! Grin ) Some music!!!

Rossini: Il Barbiere di Siviglia Callas,Alva,Gobbi (et al)  Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus/ Galleria                 emi 2 cd's

This has got to be the best recording (despite cut's!),period! It's also the only one that has made me laugh! I'm not going to moan about Callas being on the front this time,though! It would be a little daft,anyway,seeing that it is a Maria Callas series! It is by Rossini,though,not Callas,mind,despite the tiny letter's!! Shocked Grin Lovely voice,though! Smiley

I also love shortwave ... also a ham radio operator..
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: January 30, 2022, 04:13:51 pm »

Lehár: Paganini-highlights Rudolf Schock,Margit Schramm,Dorothea Chryst,Ferry Gruber                 Günther Arndt-Chor/ Berliner Symphoniker / Robert Stolz      Eurodisc

Highlight's from the operetta,recorded in the 60's,or early 70's (I'm not sure,right now!). The 'complete' stereo emi-electrola recording with Anneliese Rothenberger & Nicolai Gedda has been reissued twice on cd,but is now deleted. Seller's ask ridiculous prices,so I have been unable to obtain a copy,so far!! Sad Fortunately.,the German label,Membran,released a 2 cd set of a very good,German radio broadcast of the operetta,made in the 1950's (see right!) in good quality mono,with dialogue & all the trimming's,with Peter Anders in the lead role,who is highly regarded by many fans of the genre. Indeed,he is probably in better voice than Gedda was,when he made his recording for vemi-electrola. Unfortunately,Peter Anders was killed in a car accident at the age of 46! The fact that he was a favourite of Adolf Hitler (who was a big fan of operetta! Shocked) hasn't enhanced his post-war reputation. But politics aside he was a fine singer and well worth hearing,if you enjoy German/Austrian operetta.

NB: There is also a 'complete' French recording.recorded in 1955,which was released on Lp. It was reissued on the Accord label as a 2 cd set. Again,seller's ask daft prices & I haven't heard it!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 235   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: