The Art-Music Forum
May 24, 2022, 07:52:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 235   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 73483 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 85

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: November 12, 2021, 10:19:55 am »

Something random from

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: November 12, 2021, 04:14:18 pm »

In it's Warner incarnation (box-set below). Could you get a better cast than this? Unadulterated pleasure from flaps-up to flaps-down.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 84

View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: November 12, 2021, 05:52:55 pm »

In it's Warner incarnation (box-set below). Could you get a better cast than this? Unadulterated pleasure from flaps-up to flaps-down.

Don't think so!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: November 12, 2021, 08:50:59 pm »

More Bartered Bride's. That's bartered not battered,thank goodness! The Jaroslav Krombholc recording I'm listening to now dates from 1975. The internet & Amazon seem bereft of opinion & reviews. At any rate,it's got Teresa Stratas,Walter Berry,René Kollo;and most importantly,a distingushed Czech conductor,so..........

I'm not sure if Zdeněk Chalabala's 1959 stereo recording isn't the best & most fiery of the lot! But Zdeněk Košler is very good! The Krombholc has a nice spring to the conducting though,and the soloist's are all very good. Teresa Stratas sounds quite lovely!

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: November 14, 2021, 11:02:56 am »

A great release from Dutton! Two CDs of some of the best music by this outstanding composer in authoritative performances. You also get the Introduction and Allegro, The Suite from "Things to Come" and the March: The Pheonix
 Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: November 14, 2021, 03:30:27 pm »

Walhall 2 cd set! An excellent recording of the famous operetta,originally made for German radio,complete with dialoge & in very good mono sound. I've always been a fan of Anneliese Rothenberger & she's in her vocal prime here! Much better than the later emi-electrola recording. There is just the right lightness of touch & fun! I would put this alongside the Leibowitz & Plasson recordings. The Amsterdam Operetta Research Centre give this a rave review & they should know! Smiley

http://operetta-research-center.org/anneliese-rothenberger-max-hansen-orpheus-der-unterwelt-1958/

NB: The Krombholc recording of The Bartered Bride was very good indeed! I nearly didn't buy it because of the lack of reviews & information about it on the internet! It cost just over £3! Money well spent!! An underrated recording! I think I might even prefer it to the more famous Kempe?!! Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: November 14, 2021, 03:59:17 pm »

A great release from Dutton! Two CDs of some of the best music by this outstanding composer in authoritative performances. You also get the Introduction and Allegro, The Suite from "Things to Come" and the March: The Pheonix
 Smiley

That is a fantastic set! I like their other 2 cd set,too!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: November 14, 2021, 09:53:36 pm »

Playing Now! Cornelius: Der Barbier Von Bagdad/ Leinsdorf emi 2 cd's (Well,one cd & a bit,actually!)

An enjoyable rarity performed by a vintage cast and produced by Walter Legge,no less! There's also an excellent stereo recording on the Hanssler label. The Leinsdorf is in mono! No surprise,there! There's a 70's recording conducted by Heinrich Hollreiser,but I didn't think much of it and it was disposed of! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: November 14, 2021, 11:46:50 pm »

I played these earlier (over the weekend!). Just packed full of one wonderful tune after another! (Forget the libretto!) Not to mention,The Last Rose of Summer (Martha)! The Wallberg recording (on Eurodisc & RCA) of Martha is also very good,and has one of my other favourite singers,Lucia Popp! I wish I had the release with her on the front,though! Sad The Bernhard Klee recording of Der Wildschutz (various reissues on Berlin Classics) is also top notch! Martha,having no dialogue,could,and should be,popular again,with audiences (as opposed to snooty critics)! And set in Merry Olde England,to whit! Roll up! Roll up! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: November 15, 2021, 11:16:55 pm »

After listening to both recordings,I really do think this opera benefits from a good stereo recording. The Leinsdorf has a great cast and a legendary producer,but it's in mono,and rather boxy mono,for the period. And I'm someone who likes old mono recordings! No,the stereo recording brings out the beauty of the scoring,particularly,the lovely,quasi oriental choruses and impressive ensembles. Helen Donath is on fine form and Hans Sotin is superb as a sonorously voiced Barber. Strangely enough,Oskar Czerwenka's comical rhapsodising,in the Leinsdorf recording,about a girl he once knew,reminded me of the summoning of Angelina in Trial by Jury! It provoked a similar chuckle! (I always love that bit!) Hans Sotin isn't as amusing,here! A very,very good recording of this lovely little opera! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: November 15, 2021, 11:32:12 pm »

Bought! Ebay had one of those Black Friday vouchers,so what else could I do? (Resist!? Roll Eyes Grin) The critic on Musicweb suggests that Daniel Jones looks like he's toasting the completion of Lyrita's cycle! And well he might! If only,in spirit (albeit a pint of bitter here!). I say,Cheers to that! I hope Lyrita will consider a cd release of his oratorio St Peter,at some point! But this cycle will do very well for now!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Nov/Jones-Sym12-SRCD391.htm
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: November 17, 2021, 10:56:32 pm »

Finally,managed to get a copy of this cd,which didn't involve selling all my worldly goods! Roll Eyes Grin Very interesting! What a pity there was never a Vol 2! Sad APR,similarly,released a fascinating cd of Bliss premiere's,entitled Volume 1 ! Needless to say,there was never a Vol 2! Sad Still,we must be thankful for what we get! The booklet is a read,in itself! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: November 20, 2021, 11:25:44 am »

More Arthur Bliss conducting his own lovely music...

...the various tributes to the young Queen Elizabeth II are relics from a vanished era, a more deferential age when ceremonial music was beautifully written and suitably obseqious. It's a great disc nevertheless! If Purcell could pen such lovely music for his odes and welcome songs for Charles II, James II, William and Mary Bliss stands in a great tradition, dealing with similarly duff texts:

Tilting airfields rose to meet you, etc. Utter bilge.

Roll Eyes Tongue Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: November 20, 2021, 03:35:51 pm »

Oh yes, there's more. Not conducted by the composer admittedly...

...but a super opera in a very accomplished performance. Excerpts are in the archive.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 84

View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: November 20, 2021, 07:57:50 pm »

More Arthur Bliss conducting his own lovely music...

...the various tributes to the young Queen Elizabeth II are relics from a vanished era, a more deferential age when ceremonial music was beautifully written and suitably obseqious. It's a great disc nevertheless! If Purcell could pen such lovely music for his odes and welcome songs for Charles II, James II, William and Mary Bliss stands in a great tradition, dealing with similarly duff texts:

Tilting airfields rose to meet you, etc. Utter bilge.

Roll Eyes Tongue Cheesy

Bliss was reputedly very modest about his talent and his achievements. It seems to me that he had no cause to be (other than just on account of good breeding!)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 235   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: