The Art-Music Forum
December 05, 2021, 05:02:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 218   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 65963 times)
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: October 24, 2021, 06:37:07 pm »

Today it's Malcolm Arnold's Symphonies 3 and 6 in as many recordings/ broadcasts as I can find.

Smiley

Should we wind up the whole shebang and call time?

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: October 24, 2021, 09:47:19 pm »

Today it's Malcolm Arnold's Symphonies 3 and 6 in as many recordings/ broadcasts as I can find.

Smiley

Should we wind up the whole shebang and call time?

NO!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: October 25, 2021, 09:17:25 am »

NO!

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: October 25, 2021, 12:01:00 pm »

The "Nativity Masque" Song of Simeon, Op.69 (1959)

then on to The Return of Odysseus, Op.119 (1976)

His two most extended choral works, both deserving regular performance. It's a pity he didn't write more!

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: October 25, 2021, 01:51:42 pm »

Originally mooted as a project in 1976 at the instigation of Ninette de Valois, Arnold then hit the skids leaving sketches never completed. John Longstaff produced this version in 2006 drawing on a wide variety of the composer's works. I think it works well enough, but if only Arnold had been able to write an original score!

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: October 26, 2021, 02:06:51 am »

Proper Records 4 cd box set! What not to enjoy? I love the humour he brings to his music. "Your feets too Big" just make me laugh out loud,particularly,his throw-away aside,at the end! A nice big booklet with this edition,with lots of photos,detailing his career! A wonderful singer & performer.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: October 26, 2021, 12:45:06 pm »

I had quite forgotten just how excellent this disc is! Everything you could want is here -

A Grand, Grand Festival Overture, Op.57 (1956)
Peterloo, Op.97 (1967)
The Smoke, Op.21 (1948)
Tam o'Shanter, Op.51 (1955)
A Flourish for Orchestra, Op.112 (1973)
The Fair Field, Op.110 (1972)
A Sussex Overture, Op.31 (1951)
Anniversary Overture, Op.99 (1968)
Robert Kett, Op.141 (1990)
Beckus the Dandipratt, Op.5 (1943)

Smiley

I'm somehow thankful that there wasn't enough space for the Commonwealth Christmas Overture, Op.64 (1957) as it's pretty dismal.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: October 26, 2021, 03:30:46 pm »

2 cd Accord set! Not really by Lehár ,but a 1958 operetta adapted from Lehár melodies by Professor Rekaď and Paul Bonneau,whoever they were?!! I don't know where they got the tunes from? I would have to look them all up & the booklet is in French! This recording was one of a series of operetta recordings made in France in the 1950's & 60's (mainly). Originally released on Lp. They are very good,and just so French! They seem from another age,somehow! The performances,the singing! The mono recording adds to this,no doubt! Recorded in 1959. The French seemed to gone on recording in mono,for a while,even though stereo was available! The dialogue sounds like a play,not just the usual,let's just get the boring old dialogue over and done with,read-through! The singing,like all of these sets is excellent and full of character! The music is nice too! Oh,and luckily,for this lot,The Williams Singers were unavailable! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: October 26, 2021, 06:04:00 pm »

Shocked Sad Commonwealth Christmas Overture! I love that! One of my favourites!
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: October 26, 2021, 06:14:30 pm »

I don''t know the piece but, at a guess, I'd say you are pulling Albion's leg! Either way, it can't be as fine as the Grand Grand Festival Overture, which is an absolute hoot!
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: October 26, 2021, 09:25:19 pm »

When I find a new piece of music that I find beautiful and know I will want to hear it again and again it seems perhaps others might enjoy it as well. Chris Williams (Australia), Canticum Novi Mundi, concerto for cor anglais and orch, Dina Woods, cor anglais, Tasmanian SO, Elena Schwartz (World Premiere 26 March 2021)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3ymbqnhe4c2oc/chris_williams
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: October 26, 2021, 11:19:04 pm »

I don''t know the piece but, at a guess, I'd say you are pulling Albion's leg! Either way, it can't be as fine as the Grand Grand Festival Overture, which is an absolute hoot!

The Commonwealth Christmas Overture is just simply crap. In Arnold's own recording on Reference it's interminable.

Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: October 26, 2021, 11:34:30 pm »

2 cd Accord set! Not really by Lehár ,but a 1958 operetta adapted from Lehár melodies by Professor Rekaď and Paul Bonneau,whoever they were?!! I don't know where they got the tunes from? I would have to look them all up & the booklet is in French! This recording was one of a series of operetta recordings made in France in the 1950's & 60's (mainly). Originally released on Lp. They are very good,and just so French! They seem from another age,somehow! The performances,the singing! The mono recording adds to this,no doubt! Recorded in 1959. The French seemed to gone on recording in mono,for a while,even though stereo was available! The dialogue sounds like a play,not just the usual,let's just get the boring old dialogue over and done with,read-through! The singing,like all of these sets is excellent and full of character! The music is nice too! Oh,and luckily,for this lot,The Williams Singers were unavailable! Grin

More Hall-of-Shame album cover fodder methinks. Indeed, The Williams Singers were too busy auditioning the newest batch of LSD in 1959, having tired of

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: October 26, 2021, 11:46:09 pm »

When I find a new piece of music that I find beautiful and know I will want to hear it again and again it seems perhaps others might enjoy it as well. Chris Williams (Australia), Canticum Novi Mundi, concerto for cor anglais and orch, Dina Woods, cor anglais, Tasmanian SO, Elena Schwartz (World Premiere 26 March 2021)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3ymbqnhe4c2oc/chris_williams

Great, thanks! There is still life out in the musical world. It seems to me more and more that it's a museum dwelling on the past and not producing anything that will have any permanence.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: October 27, 2021, 01:15:04 am »

More Hall-of-Shame album cover fodder methinks. Indeed, The Williams Singers were too busy auditioning the newest batch of LSD in 1959, having tired of

Cheesy
Indeed! Nice music,pity about the,ahem,artwork! It looks like a cut and paste job! Literally!! They must have a worse computer than mine! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 218   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: