The Art-Music Forum
January 26, 2022, 11:49:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 224   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 67474 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: October 17, 2021, 01:32:58 pm »

Symphony No 1! Prompted by Albion's post,I thought I'd put this on again.

Update! Ooh.lovely! Smiley Ideal sunday music. I must admit,I've always focused my attention on the Cello Concerto. More fool me,eh! Roll Eyes Grin

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/may08/Scott_Cello_CHAN10452.htm

Yes,Percy Grainger does spring to mind. I love the use of harps in one,particular,movement! (Can't see the display from here! Roll Eyes)

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/feb/15/classicalmusicandopera.shopping3

Shock,horror! Andrew Clements impressed by Scott Cello Concerto! Shocked And,for once,he's right! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: October 17, 2021, 02:49:17 pm »

Up next! The Lady of Shalott! After Cyril Scott's Symphony No 1!

Then this:

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: October 17, 2021, 03:28:51 pm »

No deafening music,tv's on every wall & people preoccupied with smart phones! No wonder they're smiling! Shocked Smiley

How their faces would look in a pub,now!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: October 17, 2021, 04:03:13 pm »

A rousing conclusion to this fine symphony! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: October 17, 2021, 06:53:06 pm »

Now Playing! Another listen to the,splendidly performed,1916 excerpts conducted by Ethel Smyth,herself! Trying to imagine what they might sound like in state of the art,digital,stereo sound?! Roll Eyes Grin
I like Bax,but Enchanted Summer and Walsinghame were a bit of a snooze-fest,I'm afraid! Sad If I had to pick something,Fatherland was the best piece on the cd. A useful listen,if you like Bax,though! Educational,I call's it!! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: October 17, 2021, 10:15:41 pm »

Blimey! No wonder Peggy Lee's assets are a-jigglin'!

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: October 17, 2021, 10:23:07 pm »

Aha! The new recording will be in better sound,too (presumably?). I've got it lined up for another listen.
I like Ethel Smyth's The Boatswain's Mate. I love the sparing instrumentation. It actually,makes me think of Britten. The opera it brings to mind,the most. (For me,anyway) Albert Herring. Smyth's opera is more tuneful,though & more fun! Albert Herring has me looking at timing's,a bit! Peter Pears,notwithstanding (I don't mind his singing,other's do!) the quality of the Decca cast keep me listening & Britten's sparing instrumentation. But it does go on a bit! Smyth is more entertaining and I don't keep looking at track timings!! Grin

I see that there are still some unrecorded operas:

Entente Cordiale (1923-24)
Der Wald            (1899-1901)
Fantasio              (1892-94)

Fantasio,apparently,suffering from a poor libretto! Der Wald was performed at the Met. According to Wikipedia,it was "a popular & financial success" for the company. Entente Cordiale,a one act comic opera was broadcast on BBC radio,in a performance conducted by the composer. Of course,Albion will be aware of all this!

Playing now! Smyth: The Boatswain's Mate   The 1916 excerpts conducted by the composer.

Unfortunately the full score of Entente Cordiale is currently missing.

Angry

Fully in agreement about The Boatswain's Mate, a most attractive and engaging work despite the oddity of a first act with dialogue and a second without. There are different scorings of the opera - one for full and one for reduced orchestra: this splendid recording uses the latter. It's beautifully performed under Odaline de la Martinez. Perhaps the loveliest number What if I were young again is not an original tune but taken from a folk-song.

Wink

Ding-dong Bell,
Pussy's in the well.
Who pulled her out?
Perhaps a boy-scout.

Cheesy

Mrs Slocombe would have a field-day...

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: October 17, 2021, 11:28:22 pm »

Aha! The new recording will be in better sound,too (presumably?). I've got it lined up for another listen.
I like Ethel Smyth's The Boatswain's Mate. I love the sparing instrumentation. It actually,makes me think of Britten. The opera it brings to mind,the most. (For me,anyway) Albert Herring. Smyth's opera is more tuneful,though & more fun! Albert Herring has me looking at timing's,a bit! Peter Pears,notwithstanding (I don't mind his singing,other's do!) the quality of the Decca cast keep me listening & Britten's sparing instrumentation. But it does go on a bit! Smyth is more entertaining and I don't keep looking at track timings!! Grin

I see that there are still some unrecorded operas:

Entente Cordiale (1923-24)
Der Wald            (1899-1901)
Fantasio              (1892-94)

Fantasio,apparently,suffering from a poor libretto! Der Wald was performed at the Met. According to Wikipedia,it was "a popular & financial success" for the company. Entente Cordiale,a one act comic opera was broadcast on BBC radio,in a performance conducted by the composer. Of course,Albion will be aware of all this!

Playing now! Smyth: The Boatswain's Mate   The 1916 excerpts conducted by the composer.

Unfortunately the full score of Entente Cordiale is currently missing.

Angry

Fully in agreement about The Boatswain's Mate, a most attractive and engaging work despite the oddity of a first act with dialogue and a second without. There are different scorings of the opera - one for full and one for reduced orchestra: this splendid recording uses the latter. It's beautifully performed under Odaline de la Martinez. Perhaps the loveliest number What if I were young again is not an original tune but taken from a folk-song.

Wink

Ding-dong Bell,
Pussy's in the well.
Who pulled her out?
Perhaps a boy-scout.

Cheesy
That is bad news! As I was typing that it did occur to me that there's little said about performing or recording it,and there must be a reason!  And being a one act opera it would,otherwise,be an obvious choice for a commercial recording. And the BBC broadcast vanishing into the ether! Sad Sad Sad

NB: yes,I did think of that kind of pussy! Shocked Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: October 17, 2021, 11:43:04 pm »

That is bad news! As I was typing that it did occur to me that there's little said about performing or recording it,and there must be a reason!  And being a one act opera it would,otherwise,be an obvious choice for a commercial recording. And the BBC broadcast vanishing into the ether! Sad Sad Sad

Apparently mislaid on tour! At least the loss of Mackenzie's His Majesty (Saveloy, 1897) (gone in similar circumstances) saves us from revival of his most dismal operatic effort: Francis Burnand at his worst, not a decent lyric in sight, dialogue to induce chronic diarrhoea and music totally unmemorable.

Don't bother queueing for tickets.

Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: October 18, 2021, 12:11:05 am »

The 1948 BBC broadcast "of a slightly modified version of the 1948 Tyrone Guthrie/Benjamin Britten stage production of "The Beggar's Opera"* recorded onto acetates by Lord Harewood,with chunks of dialogue missing & atrocious sound sound quality for my delectation! The things fans of The Beggars Opera will endure to get their Beggars Opera fix!! Roll Eyes

*culled this bit from an Amazon review. Not sure quite what's modified;but it is,anyway! Grin

Update! The recording is hardly hi-fi,but it's better than some people make it out to be (pretty amazing,considering! Shocked)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: October 18, 2021, 11:23:05 am »

Rob Barnett has described this opera as a "blazing masterpiece"! More Boughton from the recording labels,please! Roll up! Roll up! There's plenty to choose from! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
paul corfield godfrey
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: October 18, 2021, 12:09:01 pm »

I can only agree about the neglect of Rutland Boughton's operas. The main problem about mounting any revivals or recordings appears to be the lack of performing materials. But Volante Opera, following their travails in the fields of my Tolkien cycle based on The Silmarillion (where the fourth 2-CD set is scheduled for release from Prima Facie early next year), are in discussions with the Boughton Trust about the possibility of a future project to include the whole of the Boughton Arthurian cycle: The Birth of Arthur, The Round Table and The Lily Maid as well as the totally unperformed Galahad and Avalon. But again there appear to be almost no performing materials available, and it is unclear how much of the orchestration of The Birth of Arthur was actually completed by Boughton (Michael Hurd states that the first of the two Acts was fully scored, and there appears to have been an orchestral performance of a suite extracted from Act Two at one stage). But there is nonetheless some distant prospect of performance.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: October 18, 2021, 06:17:26 pm »

Thank you for your response to my post. My post was intended to be a tad humorous! Of course,it's not that simple! Also,recording operas costs money,too. It's cheering to know that there is some hope,however distant it might be,at the moment!  I was also see that the Rutland Boughton Trust is back online with a new website. I enjoyed listening to the broadcast excerpts from Alkestis and The Lily Maid,recently. Of course,you end up wishing you could hear the rest. The Dutton release of The Queen of Cornwall really is excellent. The soloists and choral contributions are all top notch & in first class sound. It's always disappointing when a neglected opera has wobbly soloists or an orchestra that isn't up to the demands of a score. Sometimes they are amateurs,or semi-amateur,and they are obviously doing their best. But it doesn't help the cause of an unjustly neglected composer or work. (Connoisseur's of the byways of repertoire like myself or some of the other members here will make allowances,of course! Other's won't!)

Update!
I was impressed by The Queen of Cornwall! It's allot different from The Immortal Hour. More brooding and dramatic! His score easily bringing to mind images of the sea and the rugged,wind swept Cornish coast. I love his skilful and haunting use of a chorus. It's a fine British opera. I really enjoyed listening to it! He was,obviously,a very,talented composer! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: October 18, 2021, 06:55:56 pm »

Franz von Suppé's 1865 operetta Die schöne Galathée is,simply,packed with memorable tunes & songs. The Overture has long been popular as a concert work,in it's own right. This set is one of a series,on Cantus Classics and Membran, of cd releases of German radio broadcast's of German operettas made in the 1950's (mainly) and 60's (and a few from the late 40's). The singing and performances on this 1965 recording are all excellent. Renate Holm as Galathée always had a wonderfully,pretty sounding voice. Ferry Gruber is in fine,comic form,as Pygmalion,the sculptor,who prays to Venus to bring his statue of Galathée to life. The mono recording is very good quality and the conductor,Franz Marszalek,was always a dab hand at this sort of thing!

These reissues of German radio recordings of old operetta recordings,and just looking at the range of old broadcast recordings of broadcasts of operas,some of them rare,makes me think that German speaking countries seem to have a different attitude towards archive recordings than we do! It seems to me that we're behind them in this respect. I can imagine that if we had the same philosophy as them towards old broadcast recording's,some of the cd releases we've seen in recent years from Lyrita (for example) might have been released years ago. We could be looking at cd sets of all those wonderful BBC recordings of Gilbert & Sullivan operettas,for example! And the Handley recording of The Perfect Fool,might have been released by now. Cpo,also,seem to release allot of new (or recent) radio broadcast's of rare repertoire. TIn contrast,the BBC seem to be very coy about releasing archive material. I know for a fact,that they have the same attitude towards allot of old tv programs,from years ago. Often it has taken some third party,to bring about a release of some old,un-repeated series or program! But,I digress!! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: October 19, 2021, 01:01:44 am »

Cd 2 of this Sony/Columbia set:

I listened to this classic set a bit earlier. (It seems I can't get enough of The Beggars Opera at the moment!) For the cast & exuberance of the recording this has got to be one of the most enjoyable.
I've got to say,the Tom Jones highlight's on cd 2 are fantastic! What a great cast! They must have been mad not to record the whole lot with those singers! Shocked. Admirer's of Edward German only had to wait 41 years for that complete Naxos recording! Although,there was,apparently,a virtually complete,BBC broadcast recording with dialogue in 1972 (is it here,by the way? It's a bit late/early,actually,to look!). Lionel Monckton /Howard Talbot's The Arcadians is another scandalously neglected operetta! It has been described as operetta meets the music hall and it's a favourite of mine! A fantastic score! The old emi highlights are well sung,but lack fun,imho! The Ohio Light Opera 'complete' recording,with dialogue,has a,decidedly,uneven cast;but the women are very good and it captures more of the joie de vivre! Why oh why it hasn't had a complete professional recording by now,simply beggars belief! Somehow,I'm not surprised,though! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 224   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: