The Art-Music Forum
October 16, 2021, 03:38:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 64205 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: October 04, 2021, 01:20:57 am »

What a voice! Smiley I love these early blues singers. This set begins with her first (extant) recordings made in New York in February 1923,and takes you through her first electrical recordings,up to 1925. The acoustic recording technique could hardly fail to pick up Bessies Smith's voice,which comes through loud & clear!!! Shocked Grin I like the touches of humour in these recordings. These must be some of the most entertaining (and moving) records made in the early years of recording. Wow! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 66

View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: October 04, 2021, 05:42:35 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: October 04, 2021, 05:22:23 pm »

What a voice! Smiley I love these early blues singers. This set begins with her first (extant) recordings made in New York in February 1923,and takes you through her first electrical recordings,up to 1925. The acoustic recording technique could hardly fail to pick up Bessies Smith's voice,which comes through loud & clear!!! Shocked Grin I like the touches of humour in these recordings. These must be some of the most entertaining (and moving) records made in the early years of recording. Wow! Smiley Smiley Smiley

I couldn't agree more; I love early jazz and blues. I have a 78 of the Original Dixieland Jass Band made in 1917 of Barnyard Blues and At The Jass Band Ball. It's a treasured possession given to my late brother-in-law. My favourite instrumentalist of that era is Sidney Bechet. He could do things with a soprano saxophone that would make a statue weep. Try his recording of Sweet Lorraine with Muggsy Spanier on cornet. Sheer genius.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: October 05, 2021, 03:34:51 pm »

Arrived today! Well,in a way!! I'd been looking for the original release Marco Polo (not the reissue) at a reasonable price for some time,to complete my Sullivan/Penny Marco Polo collection. Suddenly there was a copy on ebay,advertised in " near mint" condition,at a very reasonable & low price! So,I bought it! Oh,dear! Roll Eyes I got an email saying it had been "Handed to Resident"! I thought,"Well,that's funny,because I haven't seen it & it certainly wasn't handed to me!" What's more it was tracked & marked as "Delivered",with a map showing where it was delivered & gps to prove it!! I contacted the Seller,who wasn't too keen on refunding me,because he had proof it had been delivered (via said,tracking) and wanted me to go to ebay,who usually close a claim automatically if a package was tracked & the Seller has proof of delivery!
Anyway,today,on a whim,I thought I might check around the door,to see if it had fallen behind the recycle bin,or,somehow,ricocheted off the floor,when the postman put it through the letterbox,and tucked itself behind something! I really didn't expect to find something! Then I decided to clear away the empty packages for various books and cds I've received over the last few weeks! As I was putting them on the table I noticed one that looked full! I wondered,briefly (as a cloud!! Roll Eyes Grin) if there might be a cd inside? I,immediately,dismissed this,telling myself,"It's just a piece of card"! Then I looked at it again. I saw the address of the Seller on the front! I was so shocked,I nearly dropped it! Shocked Shocked Shocked It had been there all the time!!!! Roll Eyes Embarrassed Grin In my excitement & relief at this,unexpected,turn of events,I did whisper,"There is a god!" Well,I really don't think the unexpected appearance of my "missing"cd provides proof of the existence of some,omnipotent being (although,I did offer a prayer that it would turn up at one point!) but well,you know the feeling! I'd been quite upset about losing this one!! Mind you,it would make a change from parting the Red Sea!!

Other possible reason's why my cd should have mysteriously appeared like this!

An invisible genie,who just happened to be passing by! ( Must stop watching those Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies! Roll Eyes)
A good fairy! Smiley
Another case for Arthur C Clark's Mysterious World (Unfortunately,he's dead,so too late for that! Sad)

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: October 05, 2021, 05:29:54 pm »

Still playing! Smiley
There used to be a nice program on Radio 3,on Saturday,around tea time,with musician's like the one's you speak of,Lionel. I can't remember what it was called now! Sadly,gone from the schedule! Nothing worth listening to now! I've got to say that I'm not a fan of modern jazz,though. I like the old stuff that was probably put on 78's,and maybe a little later,at the most!

I'm going to put on that Arthur Sullivan later,hopefull! I've got Bessie Smith,Ma Rainey,"Blind Lemon" Jefferson,Charlie Patton,Robert Johnson,Fats Waller & Billie Holliday box sets piled up,right now!! Then after all that,I think I'll have some Blossom Dearie (I'm a big fan!) and Eartha Kitt!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: October 05, 2021, 08:55:06 pm »

First listen to this original issue Marco Polo cd! The Overture opening with a dramatic flourish. This strikes me as a wonderful score. I love the G & S operettas,but it is a pity he got side tracked by all that,in a way! There's some terrific writing for orchestra here. The sound quality is very good,too. Indeed,better than average for Marco Polo,to my ears. I must admit,I avoided the Dutton release because of Simon Callow! (Not keen on his voice). Lovely! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Update! The music on this cd is great! My feet keep dancing about to some of the faster,lighter numbers! The Overture is impressive! What not to like?!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: October 05, 2021, 10:20:15 pm »

I'm going to put on that Arthur Sullivan later,hopefull! I've got Bessie Smith,Ma Rainey,"Blind Lemon" Jefferson,Charlie Patton,Robert Johnson,Fats Waller & Billie Holliday box sets piled up,right now!! Then after all that,I think I'll have some Blossom Dearie (I'm a big fan!) and Eartha Kitt!

You mention some of favourites there; I'm hard to put to it single one out but I guess it would have to be Billie - she was unique. And Arthur Sullivan, of course!
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: October 05, 2021, 10:22:45 pm »

The music on this cd is great! My feet keep dancing about to some of the faster,lighter numbers! The Overture is impressive! What not to like?!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Agreed. To paraphrase Miss Jean Brodie, 'he's one of ther greats because he's one of my favourites'!
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 66

View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: October 06, 2021, 04:43:52 am »

I just got that Sullivan CD last week.
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: October 06, 2021, 02:40:34 pm »

I just got that Sullivan CD last week.

And are you as enthusiastic as cilgwyn (and, for what it's worth, me)?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: October 06, 2021, 03:43:32 pm »

The music on this cd is great! My feet keep dancing about to some of the faster,lighter numbers! The Overture is impressive! What not to like?!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Agreed. To paraphrase Miss Jean Brodie, 'he's one of ther greats because he's one of my favourites'!

I think that this is the finest of the four Sullivan Marco Polo discs, it's certainly given the best acoustic. L'Ile Enchantee and the other incidental music disc are well-played but recorded into a pillow. Victoria and Merrie England seriously needs another outing (and possibly another re-orchestration)...

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: October 06, 2021, 09:48:20 pm »

Vol 2 of this complete survey of Bessie Smith's recordings! This set also includes the soundtrack from a 17 minute film. These are excellent transfers. Some of them could (almost!) have been recorded yesterday,as they say! I think it would be a draw between Bessie Smith and Billie Holliday for me! But a touch choice!
I can't think of any current popular singers I'd want to listen to! The only one I can think of is Diana Krall who was good,when she started out. She had that husky voice and good timing,and her piano playing,which differentiated her from all the others was fantastic! But then with all the success and big names it all seemed to go so-oo smooth!! Roll Eyes And more proof that people can't write good songs any more! Sad (The first four albums are good!) My advice! Dump the big names & bring back the trio & the standards,Diane! Grin

NB:I was really surprised at how good the sound on that Arthur Sullivan Macbeth cd,was! If only they'd all been recorded in such good sound! Sad Still,I have heard worse! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: October 07, 2021, 12:21:42 pm »

The lovely Cipriani Potter disc from CPO. Having become familiar with the first symphony from the BBC broadcast, the biggest surprise is the Cymbeline Overture (1836) - what a superb work! Dramatic and beautifully scored. The Tempest overture (1837) is in BIMA, leaving only Antony and Cleopatra (1835) unheard: hopefully this will be rectified by CPO.

I would really like to hear George Macfarren's Shakespearean overtures - The Merchant of Venice (1834), Romeo and Juliet (1836) and Hamlet (1856). I must admit to having been unimpressed by the two symphonies (4 and 7) recorded by CPO, but the overture Chevy Chace (1836) recorded by Hyperion is a gem.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: October 08, 2021, 04:35:24 pm »

Blind Lemon Jefferson's life & death,like allot of early blues musician's & singer's,is shrouded in myth & legend! Only two photographs have been identified!  Even these have been open to debate! The one on the front of this set,is the one that's used on cd's. Was he,really,blind? If he was blind,how blind? How did he die? Was he poisoned by a jilted lover? Was he robbed & murdered on the way to a railway station? Did he die of a heart attack in his car after being abandoned by his chauffer? Was it during a snow storm? Did he die of a heart attack,after becoming disorientated,while struggling through a snowstorm? Did he die of a heart attack,during the night,after being attacked by a dog? Did he just die?!! Shocked Grin
One thing's for sure! His very individual,high pitched delivery and mastery of the guitar which sold piles of records! These recordings were made between 1926 and 1929!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: October 10, 2021, 07:43:37 pm »

Actually I'm on Cd B,as it is referred to,on this 5 cd set of the complete recordings. Ma Rainey (1886-1939) has a gravelly (raspy) sounding voice. With all the damp,mildew and water running down the wall and my millionaire landlord's swanky new flats across the road here,this music,somehow,seems appropriate! Roll Eyes Grin Great stuff! Smiley (I mean,Ma Rainey,not this place or his Lordship! Roll Eyes)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: