The Art-Music Forum
January 23, 2022, 06:12:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 224   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 67428 times)
Albion
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: September 26, 2021, 02:23:04 pm »

I really enjoy his music, especially the Piano Concerto recorded by Hyperion and the excerpts from The Bride of Dionysus on Dutton. Any other fans?
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: September 26, 2021, 02:35:42 pm »

I've got the Hyperion cd of his Piano Concerto. I'm going to have to listen to it again. I must admit I bought the cd for the Mackenzie which I heard on the radio,some years ago (and you'd think that would be more popular,with all the great tunes) and focused all my attention on that! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: September 26, 2021, 03:19:08 pm »

OM!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: September 26, 2021, 04:21:39 pm »

OM!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: September 26, 2021, 06:34:50 pm »

If you don't hear from me after I've finished listening to these Hovhaness cd's,it'll probably be because I am in a deep yogi trance after listening to all these mystical murmurings,for days on end! Even if I'm still alive,that is?! It might be hard to tell! I know that there are some yogi's,deeply nurtured in the sacred art,who can reduce their pulse,heart beat and breathing to a degree that many yogi's,deeply,nurtered in the sacred NHS arts would describe as being..............well,dead,basically! Roll Eyes Sad
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: September 26, 2021, 06:36:10 pm »

A typical Yogi adept!

Oops! Wrong picture,again! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: September 27, 2021, 06:52:31 am »

A typical Yogi adept!

Another Boo-Boo...

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: September 27, 2021, 08:30:21 am »

A typical Yogi adept!

Another Boo-Boo...

Cheesy

Oh dearie me.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: September 27, 2021, 10:26:50 am »

William Grant Still: Symphony No 2   Detroit SO/ Neeme Järvi         Chandos

That's the Hovhaness marathon over,at last! Some of his music is very original,or individualistic and,indeed,unlike any other composer I've heard. But,all that mystical murmuring,gong crashes,! (Have I dropped something?! Shocked) does get a bit much,after a while! I did enjoy it,though! (Honestly! Grin) Nirvana here I come (not the band,though!)

I think first the two Grant Still symphonies are the finest;(of the three I've heard) but one of the tunes from the third symphony has been going round in my head for days! And,the theme tune from the old tv series,UFO! The strange things I watch!

Talking of cartoon characters. I remember playing a dvd of Wacky Races to my father. He'd never heard of Dastardly and Muttley and was very taken by the dog with his funny,wheezy laugh!

For some reason,I can't make them smaller (this time!) Drat,drat and double drat! Curses,foiled again! Angry Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: September 27, 2021, 10:33:43 pm »

William Grant Still: Symphony No 2   Detroit SO/ Neeme Järvi         Chandos

That's the Hovhaness marathon over,at last! Some of his music is very original,or individualistic and,indeed,unlike any other composer I've heard. But,all that mystical murmuring,gong crashes,! (Have I dropped something?! Shocked) does get a bit much,after a while! I did enjoy it,though! (Honestly! Grin) Nirvana here I come (not the band,though!)

I think first the two Grant Still symphonies are the finest;(of the three I've heard) but one of the tunes from the third symphony has been going round in my head for days! And,the theme tune from the old tv series,UFO! The strange things I watch!

Talking of cartoon characters. I remember playing a dvd of Wacky Races to my father. He'd never heard of Dastardly and Muttley and was very taken by the dog with his funny,wheezy laugh!

For some reason,I can't make them smaller (this time!) Drat,drat and double drat! Curses,foiled again! Angry Roll Eyes

Wonderful. Keep 'em coming! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: September 28, 2021, 11:58:24 am »

I love the sound on thse Mercury recordings. Although,I didn't own the original Lp's. Lionel might have some? I received this one today. I suddenly realised I didn't have a 'complete' recording of Billy the Kid! What's the significance of the bird on the front? Is it an allusion to spring? (Appalachian Spring)* I suppose I should know?!! Roll Eyes

Update! I reckon this Dorati recording of Appalachian Spring beat's Bernstein's recording! And better sound! Lovely! Smiley

*Just looked it up! No,it's not!!! The performing history & various editions of Appalachian Spring make Holbrooke seem,almost,fun! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: September 30, 2021, 04:54:25 pm »

Cyril Scott's concertos for harpsichord (1938) and oboe (1946). I love his highly idiosyncratic harmonic idiom.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: October 02, 2021, 09:53:27 pm »

Cyril Scott's concertos for harpsichord (1938) and oboe (1946). I love his highly idiosyncratic harmonic idiom.

Smiley
Nice to see love for this fine composer! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: October 02, 2021, 10:10:29 pm »

Mennin: Symphony No 3   

These Mennins symphonies are power packed! Mennin's idiom is fiercely propulsive and turbulent. The fast movement's certainly move at a lick! And not a wasted note! This composer means business! The slow movement's are sombre and moody,but lyrical. Rob Barnett describes him as "one of America's toughest and steeliest symphonists". (Still,if you can handle Vaughan Williams' Fourth!)  An excellent performance and the sound quality is first class. I wish Albany had continued to record music like this. For a while they seemed like an American equivalent to Chandos!

Updated at: 23:54
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: October 02, 2021, 10:15:53 pm »

Smiley
Nice to see love for this fine composer!

The four orchestral volumes on Chandos are really fantastic and Martyn Brabbins gives superlative performances of many key works. Scott's musical language is highly distinctive and he's one of those composers that you either adore or ahbor. I know you like Scott's piano music (Dutton)!

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 224   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: