The Art-Music Forum
October 18, 2021, 12:37:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 209   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 64352 times)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: September 06, 2021, 02:34:15 pm »

I have seen him slammed as not having Bernstein's personality!

That's a distinct point in his favour, I should say!

I see that this recording of the complete Fall River Legend is still available (coupled with his Interplay (American Concertette for Piano & Orchestra) and Latin-American Symphonette) Something else I think I am going to have to investigate. Thanks for the steer. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: September 06, 2021, 05:07:29 pm »

Who needs orchestration text books? Just listen to the detail of how Dvořák scored these glorious pieces and that'll show you all you'll ever need know about how to use an orchestra to maximium effect!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: September 06, 2021, 07:43:13 pm »

I have seen him slammed as not having Bernstein's personality!

That's a distinct point in his favour, I should say!

I see that this recording of the complete Fall River Legend is still available (coupled with his Interplay (American Concertette for Piano & Orchestra) and Latin-American Symphonette) Something else I think I am going to have to investigate. Thanks for the steer. Grin
I would avoid the Naxos recordings,cheap as they are! I think Gould's own recording's are usually good or very good! Howard Hanson made a good recording of Fall River Legend. The Albany complete recording is very good. By far,the best recording of the Latin American Symphonette was the one with the Lso. It sounded like a minor masterpiece of the genre,in that recording & the sound quality was truly,thrilling! Never released on cd,though! Sad Angry I like his Symphony No. 2 "Symphony on Marching Tunes" & Symphony No 3. The best recordings are on the Albany label. But the Albany cd's can be expensive. Also,the Second is paired with music I'm not so mad about;so I got rid of it after ripping the symphony! The "West Point" Symphony (No 4) is on a fantastic Mercury Living Presence cd,paired with some other symphonies for wind instruments. The whole cd is very entertaining,with marching feet,at the end of the "West Point" Symphony. The Giannini & Hovhaness symphonies it's paired with are very enjoyable. As usual,for those Mercury cd's,the sound is outstanding for the era & superior to many later recordings! His output is uneven,though! I think his music needs a top notch orchestra & a conductor who understands popular idioms!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: September 06, 2021, 07:45:27 pm »

Who needs orchestration text books? Just listen to the detail of how Dvořák scored these glorious pieces and that'll show you all you'll ever need know about how to use an orchestra to maximium effect!
Now,there's a life enhancing composer! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: September 06, 2021, 07:48:30 pm »

I'm listening to this now and LOVING IT!  It's not difficult music, quasi romantic and rich...full of atmosphere, drama, and mood.

Very nice! Smiley Strangely,enough,I find most of the music of Berg,Webern and Schoenberg,pretty,approachable! Shocked Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: September 06, 2021, 07:54:28 pm »

I would avoid the Naxos recordings,cheap as they are! I think Gould's own recording's are usually good or very good! Howard Hanson made a good recording of Fall River Legend. The Albany complete recording is very good. By far,the best recording of the Latin American Symphonette was the one with the Lso. It sounded like a minor masterpiece of the genre,in that recording & the sound quality was truly,thrilling! Never released on cd,though! Sad Angry I like his Symphony No. 2 "Symphony on Marching Tunes" & Symphony No 3. The best recordings are on the Albany label. But the Albany cd's can be expensive. Also,the Second is paired with music I'm not so mad about;so I got rid of it after ripping the symphony! The "West Point" Symphony (No 4) is on a fantastic Mercury Living Presence cd,paired with some other symphonies for wind instruments. The whole cd is very entertaining,with marching feet,at the end of the "West Point" Symphony. The Giannini & Hovhaness symphonies it's paired with are very enjoyable. As usual,for those Mercury cd's,the sound is outstanding for the era & superior to many later recordings! His output is uneven,though! I think his music needs a top notch orchestra & a conductor who understands popular idioms!

Yes, on the basis of what you said, I would only consider buying Gould's own recordings. I do have one of those RCA CDs of him conducting Parade; Fourth of July; American Youth; Yankee Doodle and Jericho (after Steffe's 'Battle Hymn of the Republic') along with stuff by people like Sousa, Dan Emmett and Edwin Goldman. He was obviously a fine conductor of his own works (and everybody else's!) so I'd be silly to go for another conductor. Grin (I am silly, of course, but not that silly Wink)
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: September 06, 2021, 07:56:32 pm »

Now,there's a life enhancing composer! Smiley Smiley Smiley

By Jove, you got that right! It took him a while to hit his stride but once he'd found his own voice, he was wonderful.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: September 07, 2021, 12:28:20 am »

Yes, on the basis of what you said, I would only consider buying Gould's own recordings. I do have one of those RCA CDs of him conducting Parade; Fourth of July; American Youth; Yankee Doodle and Jericho (after Steffe's 'Battle Hymn of the Republic') along with stuff by people like Sousa, Dan Emmett and Edwin Goldman. He was obviously a fine conductor of his own works (and everybody else's!) so I'd be silly to go for another conductor. Grin (I am silly, of course, but not that silly Wink)
Well,yes!
The Albany cds of Symphonies 2 & 3 are very good,indeed,but expensive! No 2 is paired with music by other composers,which I wouldn't personally recommend! (They didn't appeal to me much,anyway!) I ripped No 2 & put it on a cdr with No3! No 3 is the meatiest of the two & assimilates popular music into a serious concert work. A bit like an American doing what Malcolm Arnold does in some of his symphonies. I think it's an impressive work!

The Mercury cd is very good if you want his "Westpoint Symphony" (Symphony No 4) for wind band. The cd also includes symphonies by Giannini and Hovhaness. Nothing hugely profound,but very entertaining & candy to the ears,you might say! I enjoyed it,very much,when I put it on,the other day. I love those old Mercury recordings!

The Albany cd of the complete Fall River Legend is very good,conducted by Milton Rosenstock (I hadn't heard of him,either!). It includes a conversation with Morton Gould,which is interesting. But,you may want to program it out after you've heard it once!

Howard Hanson's recording of the Suite from Fall River Legend & Spirituals for orchestra is also very good. It's paired with Barber's Medea,which is a bit tougher!! I think Howard Hanson was a fine conductor.

There is another recording of Gould's Latin American Symphonette,on the emi label,which is enjoyable enough. I don't think it's as good as that LSO recording,which hasn't been released on cd (grr! Angry) but it's entertaining enough! It's paired with orchestral works by Gershwin,conducted by Felix Slatkin. An entertaining selection. The sound is a little on the reverberant side,though! Someone needs to reissue that Varese Sarabande set!!

I wouldn't bother with the Naxos recordings! I think Morton Gould's output was uneven. Hear the wrong work,or a good one in the wrong performance,and you might not be too impressed!! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: September 07, 2021, 12:33:49 am »

I keep wondering if it's just a mid-life crisis? Me liking the Second Viennese School!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: September 07, 2021, 12:40:36 am »

Playing Now! This 'cd' was downloaded from Pristine Classics! The transfer's of these recordings are superb! (I burned them onto a cdr). These are fine performances & about as good as you might expect from this conductor. The audience are pretty quiet during the music.  Either mesmerised by the music playing,in awe of the maestro or gagged?!! Shocked Grin

Serge Koussevitzky - Rare American Symphony Performances
Roy HARRIS (1898-1979)
Symphony No. 5 (1942) [26:31]
Edward BURLINGAME HILL (1872-1960)
Symphony No. 1 (1927) [17:30]
David DIAMOND (1915-2005)
Symphony No. 2 (1943) [31:48]
Boston Symphony Orchestra/Serge Koussevitzky
rec. live, Symphony Hall, Boston, 27 February 1943 (Harris and Hill), 14 October 1944 (Diamond). mono
PRISTINE AUDIO PASC484 [77:49]

Actually,the sound is a little on the rough side!! (There's some distortion,particularly,when the music get's loud.) These must be from acetates,at this date?!! But if you like the music of composers like David Diamond and Roy Harris these are obviously worth hearing & these are gripping performances,that carry you through! I'm not,generally,too keen on listening to live performances on cd,but there are so few recordings of  symphonies by composers like Roy Harris & David Diamond. Also,Mennin & Piston,among others! And Koussevitzky is one of the greats,so,I had to hear these! As to Burlingame Hill? I haven't made up my mind about this symphony,yet. (I bought the download for the Harris & Diamond) but it's always interesting to hear another neglected composer!
I think British composers are actually reasonably lucky compared to some American composers. I find the neglect of composers like Harris,Piston,Schuman,Mennin and Piston,over the years,quite shocking! Albany Records looked to be a sort of American equivalent of Chandos for a while! But,oh dear!! Roll Eyes Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: September 07, 2021, 10:07:17 am »

Well,yes!
The Albany cds of Symphonies 2 & 3 are very good,indeed,but expensive! No 2 is paired with music by other composers,which I wouldn't personally recommend! (They didn't appeal to me much,anyway!) I ripped No 2 & put it on a cdr with No3! No 3 is the meatiest of the two & assimilates popular music into a serious concert work. A bit like an American doing what Malcolm Arnold does in some of his symphonies. I think it's an impressive work!

The Mercury cd is very good if you want his "Westpoint Symphony" (Symphony No 4) for wind band. The cd also includes symphonies by Giannini and Hovhaness. Nothing hugely profound,but very entertaining & candy to the ears,you might say! I enjoyed it,very much,when I put it on,the other day. I love those old Mercury recordings!

The Albany cd of the complete Fall River Legend is very good,conducted by Milton Rosenstock (I hadn't heard of him,either!). It includes a conversation with Morton Gould,which is interesting. But,you may want to program it out after you've heard it once!

Howard Hanson's recording of the Suite from Fall River Legend & Spirituals for orchestra is also very good. It's paired with Barber's Medea,which is a bit tougher!! I think Howard Hanson was a fine conductor.

There is another recording of Gould's Latin American Symphonette,on the emi label,which is enjoyable enough. I don't think it's as good as that LSO recording,which hasn't been released on cd (grr! Angry) but it's entertaining enough! It's paired with orchestral works by Gershwin,conducted by Felix Slatkin. An entertaining selection. The sound is a little on the reverberant side,though! Someone needs to reissue that Varese Sarabande set!!

I wouldn't bother with the Naxos recordings! I think Morton Gould's output was uneven. Hear the wrong work,or a good one in the wrong performance,and you might not be too impressed!! Roll Eyes Grin

Thank you, cilgwyn, for taking the time and trouble to post such a comprehensive and useful summary. I shall continue digging around to see what I can download, within the usual budgetary constraints, of course! (Wouldn't it be lovely to be dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking, rich, eh?  Roll Eyes)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: September 07, 2021, 01:50:08 pm »

Playing Now! Morton Gould:

Venice (Audiograph for Double Orchestra & Brass Choirs) Seattle SO / Milton Katims Rec: April 1 & 2,1968

I downloaded this from one of those Blogs (not Bogs! Shocked Grin) people put up,of out of copyright Lp's. The sound is very good! They must have some nice equipment?!

Yes,you could just buy music by every composer you were interested in! And why stop there? You could record all the music you felt needed a recording & you would like to hear. In my case Holbrooke's Apollo and the Seaman,Queen Mab & The Bells,would be in the can (or whatever they 'put it in' now?!!) And,doubtless,in your case there would be some Coleridge-Taylor premieres!

Update Regarding my previous post about a Pristine download! I think I should point out that the sound quality of Koussevitzky's performances of Roy Harris Symphony No 5 & Burlingame Hill Symphony No 1 are very good! Indeed,remarkably good for their time & source! It's the David Diamond Symphony No 2 that suffers from some distortion,when the music get's loud & has,what I might describe as 'ragged' sound. It's still eminently listenable,and,anyway,if you like Diamond's music,the performance is,probably,the most gripping available. Just thought I'd clear that up! It was late & I don't want to discourage anyone from purchasing this download. I wonder if they're on Youtube,as well? But,probably not,in such good sound!

Beginning Now:

Morton Gould: Vivaldi: Vivaldi Gallery (for Divided Orchestra & String Quartet) on Vivaldi themes  Seattle SO / Milton Katims

(In rather resonant stereo,but perfectly listenable! From the same Blog (not Bog! Shocked Grin) I presume?! )

NB: I think Gould's Venice & Vivaldi are enjoyable,but not essential! The Vivaldi Gallery strikes me as one of those pieces composers used to put together before the big revival of interest in early & baroque music music,took off! I thought Venice was the best of the two. A nice listen,though!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: September 07, 2021, 04:06:36 pm »

Coleridge-Taylor's swan-song choral work A Tale of Old Japan (1911) from the BIMA, admittedly a pretty dire recording of clearly what was a more than decent performance. Why this lovely score hasn't been properly rendered by modern forces defeats me - but then I could say the same thing about so much music (as could we all, no doubt)...

Roll Eyes

...how frustrating.

BAH!
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: September 07, 2021, 05:50:37 pm »

Charles Ives: Symphony No 4       The John Alldis Choir   Lpo / José Serebrier      Chandos

I must admit,I'm not a big fan of Ives. I've always quite enjoyed this work,though. It's just so mad,with all those popular tunes and ragtime going on,all at the same time,some astonishing orchestration. That bit where a pianist seems to be practising in another room. The choir singing. Obviously all years ahead of it's time & orchestras wouldn't play it. You really need big stereo speakers and the volume pumped up full throttle. I'm not sure the neighbours would appreciate it,though! Also,they might retaliate with their taste in music! ABBA!!! Nooooooooooooooooooo!! Shocked Roll Eyes Grin Or,worse?!! Shocked This is the only recording I have. I had the Lp version,when I was young,which is why I bought the cd!
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: September 07, 2021, 05:57:41 pm »

Charles Ives: Symphony No 4       The John Alldis Choir   Lpo / José Serebrier      Chandos

I must admit,I'm not a big fan of Ives. I've always quite enjoyed this work,though. It's just so mad,with all those popular tunes and ragtime going on,all at the same time,some astonishing orchestration. That bit where a pianist seems to be practising in another room. The choir singing. Obviously all years ahead of it's time & orchestras wouldn't play it. You really need big stereo speakers and the volume pumped up full throttle. I'm not sure the neighbours would appreciate it,though! Also,they might retaliate with their taste in music! ABBA!!! Nooooooooooooooooooo!! Shocked Roll Eyes Grin Or,worse?!! Shocked This is the only recording I have. I had the Lp version,when I was young,which is why I bought the cd!

I like his earlier works but I think he lost a grip on reality, and certainly lost sight of what was practicable, in his later music. There's a huge amount of effort for too little musical reward for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 209   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: