The Art-Music Forum
October 23, 2021, 08:28:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 211   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 64599 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: August 02, 2021, 03:40:32 pm »

I am (of course) the veritable soul of discretion - your crimes are mere folies de vieillesse...

...bonza!

Cheesy

Cheesy En effet... folies de grande vieillesse

Pish and tush, young man! Your ongoing vitality is shown in your strict adherence to thread-topics without deviation, hesitation or repetition.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: August 02, 2021, 03:48:47 pm »

Pish and tush, young man! Your ongoing vitality is shown in your strict adherence to thread-topics without deviation, hesitation or repetition.

Do I detect the very faintest whiff of irony?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: August 02, 2021, 03:54:25 pm »

I never iron on a Monday (in fact I never iron at all)...

...come to think of it, haven't even got a bloody iron. Hoorah!

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: August 02, 2021, 03:58:49 pm »

Journey into Space: The World in Peril,Episode 3

From the Golden Age of Radio!

Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: August 02, 2021, 04:07:52 pm »

I never iron on a Monday (in fact I never iron at all)...

...come to think of it, haven't even got a bloody iron. Hoorah!

Cheesy

Should you buy some drip-dry, non-iron shirts, maybe?

That reminds me... some years ago, when the boxer Mike Tyson was heavyweight champ, you may remember that he was known as 'Iron Mike'. The very fine cellist (sadly now departed) in our little quintet was also named Mike, and since he had much the same approach as yourself to sartorial elegance he used to roll up to gigs, his dress clothes looking as though he'd slept in them. Consequently, he was known to all as 'Non-Iron Mike'. Happy days. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: August 02, 2021, 04:10:34 pm »

Journey into Space: The World in Peril,Episode 3

From the Golden Age of Radio!

Wonderful stuff! That comes round on Radio 4 Extra in the wee small hours when I am experiencing one of my frequent bouts of insomnia! It's so absorbing that I find myself listening to it instead of trying to get some sleep!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: August 02, 2021, 05:00:09 pm »

Yes,great fun! Smiley Atmospheric productions,chock full of incident and all performed with gusto by an enthusiastic cast! Sometimes,unintentionally,amusing;but it only adds to the fun! More recent radio production's sound a tad flat by comparison!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 02, 2021, 05:05:22 pm »

And,Holbrooke's Opera-Ballet The Enchanter (also titled,The Wizard). Although,we have yet to hear any of that;even if we ever will? Is the score extant (or extinct?!! Sad Grin)

Actually, most of The Pit and the Pendulum, Op.126 (recorded by Dutton on CDLX 7251) is derived from The Wizard...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Oct10/holbrooke_cdlx7251.htm

Wink
I like Holbrooke's The Pit and the Pendulum. So,The Enchanter might be worth a hearing? Incidentally,while I was checking my facts on Wikipedia,I was thinking"Albion wrote (typed!) most of this! It was more or less a stump,when I first looked at it!
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 02, 2021, 05:13:00 pm »

Yes,great fun! Smiley Atmospheric productions,chock full of incident and all performed with gusto by an enthusiastic cast! Sometimes,unintentionally,amusing;but it only adds to the fun! More recent radio production's sound a tad flat by comparison!
Yes, and atmospheric music by Van Phillips. Thems was the days!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 02, 2021, 05:17:17 pm »

The finale of Concerto in Three Rhythms (1932) by Dana Suesse (1909-87) orchestrated by Ferde Grofé on the radio. Suesse is not a composer I've heard before - it's great stuff!

Some of her music is great fun! Smiley I've got some cdr-s I made up of her orchestral works,culled from Youtube,cds & blog site uploads. Dubbed the 'Girl Gershwin',as you may well (probably) know. There's a great Pearl cd of her playing her own compositions. The booklet notes,written by someone who admired & worked to put on performances of her music,describes meeting her,in her home (in the 70's or 80's) where she talked about her music & the people she met & her frustration at the neglect of her concert works! Naxos have a cd with some of her music on it. There's another one on a small label. (The cds are in a box,somewhere,I'd need a Geoff Capes or Hulk Hogan to move them for me!) An all Dana Suesse cd from Chandos would be my ideal! (Dream on mate! Roll Eyes Grin) Or,maybe,the enterprising Cpo would be just as good at that sort of thing;if not better?. (They've recorded cds of dance band/jazz inspired concert works!)

It was a lovely surprise to hear it this morning. Perhaps a little rummaging is in order...

Wink

I feel there is too little time for me to futher investigate the music of composers I've actually heard of, so that investigating the music of those I haven't (such as Dana Suesse) is definitely off the agenda! Sad
If a cd devoted,solely,to the concert works of Dana Suesse,is ever released I think they might just about fit on one cd? Or,at least most of them! So,if you wait long enough,her output wouldn't entail too much expense! And,god willing (just using that phrase as a mode of expression!) you will be able to wait! After all,I only had to wait twenty years Roll Eyes for Chandos to release another cd in their Ethel Smyth series! So,miracles (I'm bringing in miracles now!! Shocked Grin) can happen!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: August 02, 2021, 05:19:10 pm »

I agree with all you say about Cyril Scott. It is a disgrace that he was neglected for so long but his re-emergence as a significant voice seems to have come in fits and starts.

My favourite discs of Scott are the four volumes of orchestral/ concertante works on Chandos - beautiful cover images too!
 Smiley
I must get around to having another listen to the excerpts from his opera,The Alchemist! I wonder if we'll ever live to hear it complete? Or even one of the later operas? And there are choral works too!! The plotline of The Alchemist would make it a nice companion for Holst's The Perfect Fool,VW's The Poisoned Kiss! And,Holbrooke's Opera-Ballet The Enchanter (also titled,The Wizard). Although,we have yet to hear any of that;even if we ever will? Is the score extant (or extinct?!! Sad Grin)

Probably the finest of Scott's choral works is his setting of Richard Crashaw's Nativity Hymn (1913) which was due to be performed in Vienna before a certain World War scuppered the plans. It was published in vocal score by the Carnegie Trust in 1923 and the full score (once thought lost) is now with the Cyril Scott Estate having been discovered "in a cellar in Great Marlborough Street" after the second cataclysmic conflict. From the VS it looks very impressive and strikes me as ripe for rediscovery.

Smiley
Sounds like music that needs a hearing! (Come on Chandos!!)
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: August 02, 2021, 05:20:03 pm »

And,Holbrooke's Opera-Ballet The Enchanter (also titled,The Wizard). Although,we have yet to hear any of that;even if we ever will? Is the score extant (or extinct?!! Sad Grin)

Actually, most of The Pit and the Pendulum, Op.126 (recorded by Dutton on CDLX 7251) is derived from The Wizard...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Oct10/holbrooke_cdlx7251.htm

Wink
I like Holbrooke's The Pit and the Pendulum. So,The Enchanter might be worth a hearing? Incidentally,while I was checking my facts on Wikipedia,I was thinking"Albion wrote (typed!) most of this! It was more or less a stump,when I first looked at it!

Although I have quite a bit of Holbrooke's music, I missed out on getting The Pit and the Pendulum and looking at Dutton's wbsite, it now seems it's no longer available. Is it me or is Dutton one of the few labels that actually let their stuff die once the first pressing has sold out? Hyperion's stuff, for example, seems eternally available, either through their 'Archive Service' or as downloads. This latter would certainly seem to maximise their income at very little cost to them and so Dutton's policy, in comparison, seems very short-sighted.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: August 02, 2021, 05:22:59 pm »

Yes, and atmospheric music by Van Phillips. Thems was the days!
I should have mentioned that! The music is great! Thems were the days! Very good! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: August 02, 2021, 05:41:53 pm »

Wink

Although I have quite a bit of Holbrooke's music, I missed out on getting The Pit and the Pendulum and looking at Dutton's wbsite, it now seems it's no longer available. Is it me or is Dutton one of the few labels that actually let their stuff die once the first pressing has sold out? Hyperion's stuff, for example, seems eternally available, either through their 'Archive Service' or as downloads. This latter would certainly seem to maximise their income at very little cost to them and so Dutton's policy, in comparison, seems very short-sighted.
I thought you could download some of their recording's? Perhaps,not deleted ones? Albion may know more? I still haven't quite got used to listening via an external drive. Mind you,mine is over ten years old and I am looking at getting another one,before I do,in case it conks out,and everything's gone!! Talking about streaming music! I intend to have a listen to Ruth Gipps' Symphony No 3,soon! Hopefully,this evening? I actually haven't heard it yet!! Roll Eyes
Incidentally,does anyone here think there is still any hope of Ruth Gipps Symphony No 3 being released by Chandos?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: August 02, 2021, 06:12:04 pm »

Wink

Yep, I take the blame for it, and the construction of an entirely-new accompanying worklist (heavens, that was tortuous)! Changes of title, changes of genre, changes of opus number, deletions, adaptations, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Joseph_Holbrooke

Gareth Vaughan will know if the full score of The Wizard/ The Enchanter still exists. The last I knew, Holbrooke's unpublished music was housed in a caravan somewhere in the back of beyond...

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 211   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: