The Art-Music Forum
October 23, 2021, 07:49:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 211   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 64597 times)
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: August 02, 2021, 12:20:02 pm »

Sullivan's lovely Overture Di Ballo (1870) getting an outing on Radio 3!

Shocked

Charlie Mackerras! None better...

Sometimes, although rarely these days, Radio 3 can surprise the unwary listener with a top-quality product!

"Rarely" is right. That, taken together with the plethora of witless presenters, means that I long since gave up listening to it.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 02, 2021, 12:32:42 pm »

"Rarely" is right. That, taken together with the plethora of witless presenters, means that I long since gave up listening to it.

I only tune in because it takes away the necessity of me choosing which of several thousand CDs to listen to! I abhor responsibility in all aspects of life.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: August 02, 2021, 12:56:25 pm »

The finale of Concerto in Three Rhythms (1932) by Dana Suesse (1909-87) orchestrated by Ferde Grofé on the radio. Suesse is not a composer I've heard before - it's great stuff!

Cheesy
Some of her music is great fun! Smiley I've got some cdr-s I made up of her orchestral works,culled from Youtube,cds & blog site uploads. Dubbed the 'Girl Gershwin',as you may well (probably) know. There's a great Pearl cd of her playing her own compositions. The booklet notes,written by someone who admired & worked to put on performances of her music,describes meeting her,in her home (in the 70's or 80's) where she talked about her music & the people she met & her frustration at the neglect of her concert works! Naxos have a cd with some of her music on it. There's another one on a small label. (The cds are in a box,somewhere,I'd need a Geoff Capes or Hulk Hogan to move them for me!) An all Dana Suesse cd from Chandos would be my ideal! (Dream on mate! Roll Eyes Grin) Or,maybe,the enterprising Cpo would be just as good at that sort of thing;if not better?. (They've recorded cds of dance band/jazz inspired concert works!)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 02, 2021, 01:04:37 pm »

The finale of Concerto in Three Rhythms (1932) by Dana Suesse (1909-87) orchestrated by Ferde Grofé on the radio. Suesse is not a composer I've heard before - it's great stuff!

Some of her music is great fun! Smiley I've got some cdr-s I made up of her orchestral works,culled from Youtube,cds & blog site uploads. Dubbed the 'Girl Gershwin',as you may well (probably) know. There's a great Pearl cd of her playing her own compositions. The booklet notes,written by someone who admired & worked to put on performances of her music,describes meeting her,in her home (in the 70's or 80's) where she talked about her music & the people she met & her frustration at the neglect of her concert works! Naxos have a cd with some of her music on it. There's another one on a small label. (The cds are in a box,somewhere,I'd need a Geoff Capes or Hulk Hogan to move them for me!) An all Dana Suesse cd from Chandos would be my ideal! (Dream on mate! Roll Eyes Grin) Or,maybe,the enterprising Cpo would be just as good at that sort of thing;if not better?. (They've recorded cds of dance band/jazz inspired concert works!)

It was a lovely surprise to hear it this morning. Perhaps a little rummaging is in order...

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 02, 2021, 01:10:57 pm »

I don't need a gym here! I get a full body work out just trying to find a cd in one of the numerous boxes here! Roll Eyes Sad I do have some on shelves,but there's no room for any more shelves. At least,of the floor standing kind. I'm no good at diy! The council here still don't know that the wall inside one of their houses is largely composed of cardboard and polyfilla!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 02, 2021, 01:21:56 pm »

I agree with all you say about Cyril Scott. It is a disgrace that he was neglected for so long but his re-emergence as a significant voice seems to have come in fits and starts.

My favourite discs of Scott are the four volumes of orchestral/ concertante works on Chandos - beautiful cover images too!
 Smiley
I must get around to having another listen to the excerpts from his opera,The Alchemist! I wonder if we'll ever live to hear it complete? Or even one of the later operas? And there are choral works too!! The plotline of The Alchemist would make it a nice companion for Holst's The Perfect Fool,VW's The Poisoned Kiss! And,Holbrooke's Opera-Ballet The Enchanter (also titled,The Wizard). Although,we have yet to hear any of that;even if we ever will? Is the score extant (or extinct?!! Sad Grin)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 02, 2021, 01:34:18 pm »

I agree with all you say about Cyril Scott. It is a disgrace that he was neglected for so long but his re-emergence as a significant voice seems to have come in fits and starts.

My favourite discs of Scott are the four volumes of orchestral/ concertante works on Chandos - beautiful cover images too!
 Smiley
I must get around to having another listen to the excerpts from his opera,The Alchemist! I wonder if we'll ever live to hear it complete? Or even one of the later operas? And there are choral works too!! The plotline of The Alchemist would make it a nice companion for Holst's The Perfect Fool,VW's The Poisoned Kiss! And,Holbrooke's Opera-Ballet The Enchanter (also titled,The Wizard). Although,we have yet to hear any of that;even if we ever will? Is the score extant (or extinct?!! Sad Grin)

Probably the finest of Scott's choral works is his setting of Richard Crashaw's Nativity Hymn (1913) which was due to be performed in Vienna before a certain World War scuppered the plans. It was published in vocal score by the Carnegie Trust in 1923 and the full score (once thought lost) is now with the Cyril Scott Estate having been discovered "in a cellar in Great Marlborough Street" after the second cataclysmic conflict. From the VS it looks very impressive and strikes me as ripe for rediscovery.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 02, 2021, 01:42:46 pm »

And,Holbrooke's Opera-Ballet The Enchanter (also titled,The Wizard). Although,we have yet to hear any of that;even if we ever will? Is the score extant (or extinct?!! Sad Grin)

Actually, most of The Pit and the Pendulum, Op.126 (recorded by Dutton on CDLX 7251) is derived from The Wizard...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Oct10/holbrooke_cdlx7251.htm

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 02, 2021, 01:58:16 pm »

It was a lovely surprise to hear it this morning. Perhaps a little rummaging is in order...

Wink

I feel there is too little time for me to futher investigate the music of composers I've actually heard of, so that investigating the music of those I haven't (such as Dana Suesse) is definitely off the agenda! Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: August 02, 2021, 02:11:57 pm »

I feel there is too little time for me to futher investigate the music of composers I've actually heard of, so that investigating the music of those I haven't (such as Dana Suesse) is definitely off the agenda! Sad

I've given up even trying! Boxes of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt, Schubert, Brahms, Chopin, Mahler, Shostakovich, etc., etc. sit untouched gathering dust on my shelves. Why on earth did I buy them? When I was younger I though I would listen to them at some time or other - clearly that time has yet to arrive...

...and probably never will.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: August 02, 2021, 02:20:15 pm »

I've given up even trying! Boxes of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt, Schubert, Brahms, Chopin, Mahler, Shostakovich, etc., etc. sit untouched gathering dust on my shelves. Why on earth did I buy them? When I was younger I though I would listen to them at some time or other - clearly that time has yet to arrive...

Roll Eyes

Same here. And yet I keep buying. As Imelda Marcos was to shoes, I am to CDs and downloads. Still, at least I am not guilty of multiple counts of racketeering and corruption. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 02, 2021, 02:27:33 pm »

As Imelda Marcos was to shoes, I am to CDs and downloads. Still, at least I am not guilty of multiple counts of racketeering and corruption. Cheesy

Really? I heard you were recently up on charges of syllabub-laundering before the Stratford Magistrates Court...

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: August 02, 2021, 02:33:06 pm »

As Imelda Marcos was to shoes, I am to CDs and downloads. Still, at least I am not guilty of multiple counts of racketeering and corruption. Cheesy

Really? I heard you were recently up on charges of syllabub-laundering before the Stratford Magistrates Court...

Cheesy

Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 02, 2021, 03:17:18 pm »

Wink

I am (of course) the veritable soul of discretion - your crimes are mere folies de vieillesse...

...bonza!

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 02, 2021, 03:30:59 pm »

I am (of course) the veritable soul of discretion - your crimes are mere folies de vieillesse...

...bonza!

Cheesy

Cheesy En effet... folies de grande vieillesse
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 211   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: