The Art-Music Forum
September 17, 2021, 09:11:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you currently listening to?

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 200   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently listening to?  (Read 63169 times)
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 66

View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: June 05, 2021, 04:11:46 am »

yes 
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

Times thanked: 83

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: June 05, 2021, 01:04:09 pm »

I played a cd of Rachmaninov conducting his Symphony No 3,Isle of the Dead and Vocalise,a bit earlier. I've got the Pearl cd,which has a rare & striking colour photo of Rachmaninov on the front. The Musicweb review of the cd describes the transfer as one of 'minimal intervention! This is fine by me! Lot's of shellac hiss,pop and crackle! Smiley (Perhaps one of the musician's was frying some sausages in the background?! I'm joking,of course!! Grin) The sound has a lovely,rich clarity to it;albeit with the bass increased! In fact,I was amazed by the sound quality of these recordings! Shocked The 1929 recordings,in particular,are some of the best I've ever heard from that period. The booklet mentions that Rachmaninov wanted to conduct a recording of his Symphonic Dances;but it was vetoed by the record label!! Sad Sad Sad These are magnificent recordings;and not merely of historic interest!

I have those recordings on LP. Back in the 1970s RCA issued five boxed sets, each containing three LPs which included all of Rachmaninov's recordings (except for the piano rolls he made). I snapped them up at once! Understandably, perhaps, these performances of the Third Symphony, The Isle of the Dead and the Vocalise have never been bettered. Like you, I don't worry about the sound of sausages frying -- the majesty of the interpretations shines through. Rachmaninov also wanted to record his two Suites for Two Pianos  (op 5 and op 17) with Horowitz but RCA Victor put the kibosh on that too, the philistines. Angry 
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: June 05, 2021, 04:39:28 pm »

Now playing:

A collection of SC-T's songs and the Violin Sonata. The Artsong Collective are Moira Harris (soprano) Wills Morgan (tenor) and Richard Black (piano), The violinist is Wilson Collins. This CD was issued in 2000 when I bought it (of course). I think it's long-since been unavailable as a physical CD but it's still to be found in downloadable form on Qobuz and Amazon.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 66

View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: June 05, 2021, 07:48:59 pm »

today....some Arnold

Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: June 05, 2021, 09:42:18 pm »

today....some Arnold

Oh yes, very appropriate in his centenary year.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: June 05, 2021, 09:52:05 pm »

I can't remember who said how good they thought the Alnaes Pf cto was, but I have had the pleasure of hearing it and two of his symphonies so far and am indeed captivated. There is something ineffable about Scandinavian music, especially of last 150 years. Another Scandinavian concerto that I can listen to many times is Stenhammer's No. 2. Give it a try if you haven't already. Good weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: June 05, 2021, 10:32:32 pm »

I can't remember who said how good they thought the Alnaes Pf cto was, but I have had the pleasure of hearing it and two of his symphonies so far and am indeed captivated. There is something ineffable about Scandinavian music, especially of last 150 years. Another Scandinavian concerto that I can listen to many times is Stenhammer's No. 2. Give it a try if you haven't already. Good weekend.

I don't know the Alnaes Piano Concerto but on the strength of your advocacy, Jim, I shall investgate. I do know Stenhammar's Piano Concertos and I completly agree that no 2 in particular is a winner. A few years ago I really became hooked on Stenhammar and got recordings of almost everything that's available, and I can honstly say that nothing of his disappointed. The 2nd Symphony and the Serenade for Orchestra, the six String Quartets, the solo piano music, the two (gorgeous) Sentimental Romances for violin and orchestra op 28 are all thoroughly worthwhile. But my favourite of all his pieces is the ballade for baritone and orchestra Florez and Blanzeflor op 3. It's achingly beautful and will bring a tear to a glass eye! Good weekend to you too, buddy.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 48

View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: June 05, 2021, 11:26:56 pm »

I have the Alnaes Piano concerto and Symphonies on cd-r's (via downloads). I only heard them a few months ago. I had read comment's along the lines of,the Piano concerto being one of the best less well known (or neglected) Piano concertos. And if you like the Grieg you'll like this! And enthusiastic posts about the symphonies. I was very impressed by the Piano Concerto,when I listened to it. I must admit some of those less well known Piano Concertos,while pleasant at the time,seem to leave little or no lasting impression. To such an extent,that I tend to avoid them,now! Although,there are a few good ones! I can understand people who think the Alnaes should be better known,though. I thought it stood out from the crowd. The symphonies are lovely,too. You think,why is this music so little known?! If memory serves me correctly,jimmatt is spot on about the quality of this music. I'm going to have to get around to listening to them again!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: June 06, 2021, 12:29:04 am »

Gilbert and Sullivan: Princess Ida    (The 1989 BBC Recording)

King Hildebrand:   Raimund Herincx
Hilarion:               Philip Langridge
Cyril:                   Neil Jenkins
Florian:                Michael Wakeham
King Gama:          Derek Hammond-Stroud
Arac:                    Forbes Robinson
Guron:                 Leslie Fyson
Scynthius:            Paul Hudson
Princess Ida:         Valerie Masterson
Lady Blanche:       Anne Collins
Lady Psyche:        Della Jones
Melissa:               Janet Coster
Sacharissa:          Jennifer Adams
Chloe   :              Joyce Mandre

The BBC Singers BBC Concert Orchestra /Mackerras (Rec: 1984)

I listened to the 1966 BBC Ida before this. Albion is right! Smiley These are easily the best recordings of this operetta,in terms of the casting and the quality of the conducting. There's no doubt in my mind! Not that the D'Oyly Carte recordings don't have their individual charm's! I wouldn't be without them! But,they just aren't as successful as their recordings of the other Savoy operas (With the possible exception of The Sorcerer!). The BBC recordings are just more consistent in terms of the casting and conducting. I think the 1966 recording might have the edge on the later recording,for me. Despite,the narration;which I,actually,rather like! Being of a certain age;the slightly plummy tone reminds me of an age when the radio had some programs worth listening to and presenter's who didn't mumble! That said,it's very hard to choose! They both have their merits. Derek Hammond-Stroud has the kind of voice that I can imagine,not everyone would take to! Yet,he's very good at the delivery of the patter songs. I was wondering whether he might even be the best I've heard on a recording? But I need to hear the 1932 D'Oyly Carte with Henry Lytton again. George Baker is very good in the 1966 recording. I prefer his voice to Derek Hammond-Stroud's,really. But his voice sounds a bit worn,to my ears. Not his fault! He was getting on;and we all get old!! And,again,he's very good!! If you like dialogue;as you might expect,the BBC,in their heyday at least,were dab hand's at this! For once,listening to the dialogue in a G & S is akin to listening to a play. As opposed to opera singer's (or vocalist's) reading a bit of dialogue,in-between the 'singing bits'! Of course,in the 1966 recording,the dialogue for some of the singers is performed by actors. I don't want to appear to disparage the thespian abilities of any singers;but I wonder if it is just a coincidence that,for me anyway,the dialogue on the 1966 recording has the edge on the 1989 broadcast? And,that goes for all the G & S recordings from that decade,imo. But then again! I think that standard's for drama,at least on the radio,were higher back then. Indeed,with the rise of tv as a popular form of family entertainment (although,tv had been around for a while) the 60's would have been the end of the golden age of radio drama. If you're going to have dialogue in a G & S recording,this is how it should be! Listening to the dialogue on these 1966 recording's is almost like listening to a play. It really is exceptional! Maybe even good enough to convince dialogue hater's?! Although,it's inclusion might be a reason not to listen,anyway! (Although,I think they should have a go at the 1966 Ruddigore with Hyacinth Bucket,first!)

The Ohio Light Opera Princess Ida is up next!! I'm going through all the recording's I've got! I got rid of my copy of the 1932 D'Oyly Carte Embarrassed Roll Eyes! A replacement cd,is in the post!!

Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: June 06, 2021, 09:13:23 am »

If memory serves me correctly,jimmatt is spot on about the quality of this music. I'm going to have to get around to listening to them again!

With both of you on-side for Alnaes, it would clearly be foolish to ignore him. It's pension day on Tuesday and so...
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: June 06, 2021, 05:45:16 pm »

Way back when I was much younger, two of my fellow nurses were going to Sweden for vacation and asked me if I wanted a souvenir, so I wildly told them Stenhammar Sym No. 2 LP and the sweethearts actually brought it to me! How long ago, now most of my LPs are either donated or sold and I missed saving that at least for a good memory, also all my turntables have gone to turntable heaven. Of course this is mostly interesting just to me but one Christmas early in our marriage I told my wife I wanted the Supraphon 10" Military Sinfonietta by Viteszlava Kapralova, and damned if she didn't get a Czech store in Chicago to order it for me! I still have that one. Oh, well, what good are pleasant reminescenses if you forget to remember them.
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: June 06, 2021, 05:57:59 pm »

I told my wife I wanted the Supraphon 10" Military Sinfonietta by Viteszlava Kapralova, and damned if she didn't get a Czech store in Chicago to order it for me! I still have that one. Oh, well, what good are pleasant reminescenses if you forget to remember them.

Well, Jim, that is indeed a heart-warming story of true love! At the moment, I am still able to remember my reminiscences but there's no guarantee that will last, of course...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: June 06, 2021, 09:23:15 pm »

Gilbert & Sullivan: Patience    (The 1930 Complete recording)     Arabesque 2 cd's

This was the recording debut of Martyn Green! At this stage he was still an understudy for Henry Lytton,and was yet to take the lead comedy roles. For this recording,Henry Lytton was replaced by George Baker (in the part of Bunthorne). HMV didn't think his voice suitable for the Gramophone!!
This is a fine performance in lovely clear transfer's. Although,the lack of sausage frying noises brings me to suspect some degree of filtering of surface noise. No 78's were this silent! Unless,the recording engineers,somehow,acquired a tape machine via a time machine?! (Unlikely,but an exciting theory!) Listening via cordless headphones,the sound quality is so good,the only clue at times,to the actual age of the recording was the rather quaint style of some of the vocalists. These Arabesque sets were produced in America and have nice booklets inside. These are usually filled with extracts from contemporary reviews of the operettas from periodicals,newspapers and,actual,eye witness accounts from people who were there at the lead up to and opening night. They also include a libretto. The second cd,also includes,the abridged 1931 Gondoliers as a nice 'fill-up'! These are very nice sets. They come in the old 'fat box' style cases & are now out of print.

The Ohio Princess Ida,which I listened to last night,has the most inconsistent cast of the series. The women were all pretty good, It was the men who let the side down! Luckily,the OLO seemed to take note of the reviews and the casting in subsequent recordings has shown great improvement! I still quite enjoyed the recording,though! (But I wouldn't recommend it!)

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: June 06, 2021, 09:25:38 pm »

I thought Alnaes was quite a find. I think you'll enjoy his music,Lionel?!! (I can't be 100% sure!) It would be nice to have the actual cd's;but there's just so little room! Roll Eyes Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Lionel Harrison
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: June 06, 2021, 09:41:59 pm »

I thought Alnaes was quite a find. I think you'll enjoy his music,Lionel?!! (I can't be 100% sure!) It would be nice to have the actual cd's;but there's just so little room! Roll Eyes Sad

That's a problem here too but I keep buying nevertheless. One of these days someone'll find my skeleton immured behind towering mountains of CDs from which I was unable to find a way out!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 200   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: