The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
January 27, 2023, 08:59:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

kleines c

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kleines c  (Read 5908 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 78

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:02:53 pm »

I've only ever noticed thoughtful and considered posts appearing under your name, kleines. I fear you are agonising overmuch. I know quite a few practicing musicians whose background knowledge of the music they play - and even worse, of the material they neither know nor care about - is precariously little.

And there is a further point. Classical music is NOT for classical musicians - it's for everyone. (Something which makes our mutual friend elsewhere spit venom when she hears it). There are no 'owners', and the proprietorial twaddle one hears - mainly on other sites - is a form of defensive behaviour that illustrates a low intellectual level. For example, there is one crazy wandering the ether who feels that all other composers must be belittled... so that the mighty Handel may shine more brightly?  ???

Let me say this, quite clearly. If those of us who 'do' classical music are just doing it for ourselves, then it's simply a hobby. A performance with no audience is just a rehearsal. An animated, involved, and interested public is vital to the continuance of classical music, and serious orchestras, opera houses, ballet theatres and others realise this most intently. The audience is our SOLE concern. Without them - we cease to exist.

A keen and inquiring mind who has stumbled through a Bach prelude at the piano - with any number of false starts and wrong notes - will have come closer to an understanding of Bach than any cd-collector whose shelves are graced by Tureck, Richter, Egarr, and Pinnick :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: