The Art-Music Forum
May 16, 2022, 12:49:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is the music of Lorenzo Perosi (1872-1956) worth investigating?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the music of Lorenzo Perosi (1872-1956) worth investigating?  (Read 1032 times)
logeny
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 10:28:18 pm »

I have a number (7) of CDs of Perosi's music.  I have not been disappointed in any one of them.

I think his string quartets are beautifully realized and I also highly recommend the orchestral suites - especially the disc containing Suites 5 & 7.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 12:45:06 am »

Thanks for your enthusiastic recommendations Smiley! Spurred on by my enjoyment of his String Quartet no. 1, I shall investigate more Perosi! BTW have you heard his massive Piano Concerto?
Report Spam   Logged
logeny
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 01:08:30 am »

Yes, I have the Bongiovanni (is there any other?) disc which includes the Perosi Piano Concerto.  It is a large work - running, on this performance, just over 45 minutes.  The piece is highly-charged and certainly no less attractive than any other of Perosi's music.  Although I am partial to the chamber pieces, the PC is right up there!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 01:14:07 am »

Thanks again Smiley! I'm glad you say it's "highly charged"; I love fiery, energetic late-romantic PCs Grin! The Bongiovanni CD with the PC on it seems to be unavailable on Amazon at present (in the US, at least, I see it is still in print over in the UK), but I see that the disc can be downloaded from allmusic.com Smiley.
Report Spam   Logged
albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 10:07:53 am »

Reading post 7 I became aware that I own, but neglected, the Bongiovanni Cd containing the orchestral Suites n.5 ("Tortona", Perosi's small birth town) and Suite n.7 ( "Torino", which I have in an alternative Nuova Era recording).
I was prompted to hear again, and more attentively, and found the -rather concise- "Suite n.5" VERY playful and worthy of more than an occasional reading.   
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 12:29:08 pm »

Reading post 7 I became aware that I own, but neglected, the Bongiovanni Cd containing the orchestral Suites n.5 ("Tortona", Perosi's small birth town) and Suite n.7 ( "Torino", which I have in an alternative Nuova Era recording).
I was prompted to hear again, and more attentively, and found the -rather concise- "Suite n.5" VERY playful and worthy of more than an occasional reading.   

Great to learn that Perosi - I only owned an LP with some of his Masses in the past, otherwise he's probably unplayed in my country - is from Tortona. I was staying there with friends for a weekend, last year, on our way back home from a longer stay in Pistoia. And liked it. :-)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: