The Art-Music Forum
May 16, 2022, 01:02:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Welcome

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 4459 times)
Patrick Murtha
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »

I discovered Unsung Composers just as its mission was being hotly debated, and made only a few posts before deciding to wait out whatever changes might occur. I am a historian by training, including cultural history, and thus it seems absurd and unproductive to me to try to draw lines and say, This side of the line, good; That side of the line, bad. Of course everyone has their individual tastes, but art-forms are in a constant process of becoming, and that is part of the interest and the fun of them.

Patrick Murtha is a nom de plume from my maternal family history that I use for most of my Web activities.

I've always been keenly interested in literature, film, theater, art, music, history, geography, philosophy, and much else besides -- a real "life of the mind" type. Now, at 54, I happily consider myself a "senior scholar," on the model of the title character in Sir Walter Scott's wonderful novel The Antiquary, and I obsessively organize my intellectual life into scores of projects.

I've worked in education since 1995, and I am currently a "Profesor de humanidades" at a top-notch Mexican university. I teach mainly in the university high school or "prepa," where my subjects - delivered in English - are World History, Introduction to Philosophy, Introduction to Social Sciences, and several courses in a Cultural History sequence. I hope to finish out my career here, and to retire in Mexico as well. I always share my home with companion animals, and when I arrived here I adopted two female kittens from the same litter, naming them Frida (Kahlo) and Remedios (Varo) after the great Mexican painters. They are a complete delight.

My other enthusiasms include classic menswear, fine beer, baseball and golf as a spectator.

Musically, I listen very widely, primarily in classical music and jazz. My favorite composers are Carl Nielsen and Ralph Vaughan Williams, but lest that seem to "peg" me too easily, I must point out that I am a fan of Charles Ives and Arnold Schoenberg (among many others) as well. 
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2012, 05:33:55 pm »

Welcome, Patrick-I am sure you will enjoy the riches this forum has to offer you Smiley.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2012, 05:49:13 pm »

Welcome from me too Smiley

Any mention of "Unsung Composers" throws me into another fit of incandescent rage Roll Eyes  I know that I shouldn't say this (again) but that site still contains 6 months' work of my catalogues of 300 composers and three months' work of my uploads of British music.......yet I am denied access to it Angry Angry Angry

Thanks to the wonderful prescience of Sydney Grew and the marvellous British Music Archive run by Albion(John) we have all that here now and my catalogues are all online on my own website Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 78

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2012, 06:08:56 pm »

Welcome, Patrick!

I am intrigued by your interests in classic menswear Smiley

I hope you'll find something here to tickle your existing tastes, and perhaps develop some new enthusiasms as well?!
Report Spam   Logged
Patrick Murtha
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 11:55:38 pm »

Welcome, Patrick!

I am intrigued by your interests in classic menswear Smiley

I hope you'll find something here to tickle your existing tastes, and perhaps develop some new enthusiasms as well?!

I used to participate in some of the menswear forums such as Ask Andy about Clothes and Style Forum, but those can get pretty snippy sometimes, so my involvement dropped off.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2012, 12:44:39 am »

. . . . . .

Are we meant to think that the gent knitted it himself I wonder?
Report Spam   Logged
logeny
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2012, 11:13:19 pm »

I, too, am a fugitive from the UC site.  It's nice to be able to read and participate in wide-ranging discussions without fear of being clobbered for straying "off the subject."  After all, isn't that how conversations evolve?  I mean who would state, across a dinner table while talking, "now you're leaving the remit of our discussion"? 

Anyway, I am using a different monicker here and look forward to being part of this crowd of music-lovers.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2012, 11:43:42 pm »

My favorite composers are Carl Nielsen and Ralph Vaughan Williams

Welcome here! And great to learn that some of my own musical loves - RVW being the most consistent over the past 37 years, and Nielsen a personal favourite since around 1990 - are being shared at the other side of the big pond. Hope to share our musical enthusiasms in the near future!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Latvian
Level 5

Times thanked: 83

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2012, 12:11:12 am »

Anyway, I am using a different monicker here and look forward to being part of this crowd of music-lovers.

Glad you found your way here! Enjoy the freedom!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2012, 12:41:18 am »

A very warm welcome to you from me as well, logeny Smiley! Anyone who calls Nielsen and RVW their favorite composers is sure to find good company among us folk Grin! I bet you're thinking...free at last! I'm sure you'll find the Art-Music Forum to be a much more comforting and welcoming environment than that "other place" Smiley. Look forward to hearing more from you!
Report Spam   Logged
logeny
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2012, 01:56:55 pm »

Glad you found your way here! Enjoy the freedom!

Thank you, Sir, for guiding me here!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: