The Art-Music Forum
October 23, 2021, 05:54:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A place to discover and discuss a wide range of composers and music (both familiar and forgotten), recordings, broadcasts, books and art. Register, contribute and explore!

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Timothy Day's "A Century of Recorded Music: Listening to Musical History"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timothy Day's "A Century of Recorded Music: Listening to Musical History"  (Read 149 times)
Patrick Murtha
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:11:54 am »

I thought that my Amazon/Library Thing review of this excellent 2002 book would be worth re-posting here:

A wonderful book - I cannot recommend it highly enough. Anyone who has ever collected or seriously listened to classical recordings will readily see that Mr. Day is telling a story that they have been an active part of. I began collecting LPs and listening to music on the radio just as I was starting my teen-age years in the early Seventies. People may have a hard time believing it now, but in those days it wasn't too unusual for youngsters to take up listening to classical music as a hobby - many of my friends were into it, too, and I had one pal who a serious reel-to-reel guy. I was aided in my explorations by the facts that New York City had three excellent classical stations - WQXR, WNCN, and WNYC - and that my local libraries in Passaic and Rutherford, New Jersey, had first-rate LP collections.

So I read Mr. Day's book with a thrill of recognition. He delves deep into subjects that I only had sketchy knowledge of, but now realize that I had always wanted to know more about. This is a pioneering volume that opens avenues that others will surely explore. Work is already being done in some areas of popular music - there is considerable scholarship on the Beatles in the studio, for example. But we need more on jazz recording, recording of folk and world music in the field, spoken word recording (Shakespeare recordings are a particular passion of mine). Archives happily exist, but much more research in them needs to be undertaken.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: